The Student Room Group

Should i take 4 a-levels?

i want to apply for history, philosophy, and sociology, but i am considering adding criminology (level 3 diploma). this is simply due to an interest in all four subjects rather than wanting an attractive uni application, as i know it doesn’t really matter to them.

would adding criminology be too much work, and would it make my day much longer? i’d imagined it may be a less draining workload due to not being an a-level but i might be mistaken, let me know :smile:
Original post by ofunsoundmind
i want to apply for history, philosophy, and sociology, but i am considering adding criminology (level 3 diploma). this is simply due to an interest in all four subjects rather than wanting an attractive uni application, as i know it doesn’t really matter to them.

would adding criminology be too much work, and would it make my day much longer? i’d imagined it may be a less draining workload due to not being an a-level but i might be mistaken, let me know :smile:

Hi @ofunsoundmind,

Do you have a rough idea of which universities you would like to apply to? Typically, three subjects are sufficient to apply to any course at any university. However, some students do opt for four subjects to 'stand out'. Don't get me wrong, four subjects would look good on your CV but it will take a lot away from time for yourself if you aim to attain those high grades.

Have you done some research on the criminology diploma? Perhaps get an insight from other students who have done it, and read what they have to say about the course and the workload. If you think you're able to juggle between the 3 A Levels and criminology, then you should go for it! However, I hope you also know that just sticking with three A-Levels doesn't necessarily discredit your qualifications as opposed to someone with four.

If you do take three subjects, you can consider what extra things you can pickup with your spare time that could still polish up your CV. Online courses and volunteering, are examples of activities you can do to help further demonstrate your passion for whichever course you choose to enrol in University.

All the best with A-Levels!
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest