The Student Room Group

Flatmates stealing food and stuff!

What's the best approach to take?

They just take stuff that I just bought and I already made it clear to them that I don't like that people just take stuff :mad:

And even stuff like cutlery they just take it and nothing comes back...

What can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by STARFLEET

They just take stuff that I just bought and I already made it clear to them that I don't like that people just take stuff :mad:

What can I do?

leave as much as you can in your room.
yeah just keep stuff in your room if you can. or you could request to move?
Reply 3
Original post by tearteto
yeah just keep stuff in your room if you can. or you could request to move?

I can't move :frown:
When in doubt, boot em out

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't move :frown:

steal theirs then eat out on a budget.
Original post by jelly1000
leave as much as you can in your room.

But thing like milk, orange juice, and butter etc, you can't.
Sharing is caring. Some lads aren't bothered, they just eat whatever - it's part of uni life. Stop being so sensitive, I bet you're a pain to live with.
Original post by SuperiorGenius
Sharing is caring. Some lads aren't bothered, they just eat whatever - it's part of uni life. Stop being so sensitive, I bet you're a pain to live with.

I think you'll find it's called thug life, not uni life yo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeah dude
I think you'll find it's called thug life, not uni life yo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha :,)
Original post by cheeriosarenice
But thing like milk, orange juice, and butter etc, you can't.

label it- that might help. My milk stopped being drunk after I labelled it.
Simple, say they drink your milk empty 3/4 of the bottle into another one and keep that in your room. In the remaining 1/4 add crushed laxatives and let your Flatmates drink it and suffer.
Its all about their mentality than anything else, some people interpret student life as raiding cupboards, drinking till you get alcohol poisoning sleeping all day up all night.

Point here is that its hard to say what will work as its more about the mentality of the people than just saying this will work and that wont.

When I was at uni a few years ago I signed off jobseekers so had about £100 to last me about 4-8 weeks and stocked up on reduced food only to have it nicked, and the funny thing was it was nicked by a guy who had quite a bit of money, and he used to nick my food in front of 2 other tenants and share it with them and laugh about what a pushover I was, then again he even stole letters, and parcels for me, had 3 playstations sent in a package I had swapped with someone sent by courier and his bedroom had a clear view of the entrace to the point everyone had to walk past his window to get into building(and once when I locked myself out he didnt let me in and claimed "not to see me or hear me knocking/ringing the buzzer"

I think the simplest way is to intentionally buy something to waste i.e drink a little milk then leave bottle in fridge then when flatmates are in kitchen one day jokingly mention that your food is getting stolen so you left a bottle of milk in fridge with some spit and wee in it or something like that and see who freaks out, I did this with the 3 guys stealing from me and they actually threatened to beat me up and also SUE ME! for putting their health at risk then had the cheek to tell me ethey stole my food as I was greedy as I bought it in bulk and lazy for not going to corner shop daily!
Reply 13
Thanks for the suggestions.

Don't really want to get a mini fridge.

So it's full out war, Laxatives and Chilli Powder should teach these rats.

What can I do?

They know it's yours. So marking it with stickers or you bitching about it just makes it funnier to **** with you.

Options you have are:
A. **** with them, make some overly spicy or eucalyptus curry, mark it with stickers don't touch my curry or something so they'd fall for it. Also make sure it's not obvious that it's a trap, when they open it so they'd actually have a bite.
B. Beat them up.
C. Take their stuff and play the finders keepers game along.
D. Move out when you can.

Oh yeah or you can just keep your stuff in your room and lock your room.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lick all your food in front of them so they subconsciously don't want to use it. :smile:
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Lick all your food in front of them so they subconsciously don't want to use it. :smile:

Subconsciously ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. Keep the stuff that doesn't need to be in your fridge in your room.
2. Put your name on the stuff that does need to be in the fridge.
3. Leave a note in the kitchen saying please don't eat my food. People started being sly and taking little bits of my food thinking I wouldn't notice - like a tiny piece of cake, or a couple of meatballs when I had a pack of meatballs - then I started leaving notes actually in the food container saying stuff like "there are 11 meatballs in here - don't eat any!" and they stopped.
4. Wrap up the food in the fridge in plastic bags - if people don't see what it is as soon as they open the fridge then they won't be so tempted to take a bit.
5. If your food still goes missing, take karma into your own hands and take someone else's food.
You need to annihilate them. They aren't taking you seriously after you already warned them so it's game time. Laxatives, etc. Don't you dare get a mini-fridge! By the end of this, they will be the ones cowering and buying mini-fridges to shield themselves from your wrath.

Keep your cutlery and plates in your room.
Food: after putting crushed (strong) laxitives in your food, wait a few days and ask how they feel with a sadistic smile on your face :smile: - Basically tell each of them what you've done (separately) but without exactly telling them, so you don't incriminate yourself.
Put laxatives in their own milk too.
Eat their food (pre-laxatives), lets see if they like it. If they make a fuss act shocked. I mean, I thought we were all sharing food and singing kumba-ya in the kitchen, no?

After all this, they will beg for mercy.
You should share gladly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending