The Student Room Group

Uni of Manchester Chinese accom

Hi,
I was just asking if you are able to request to be with other ethnicities in student accommodation owned by Manchester Uni? I’ve found out who I’m living with and I really don’t feel comfortable with them as I am scared they will judge me for my cooking etc. I am on the brink of not enrolling at Uni due to this. If I was to take up my occupation, I will soon request to move rooms. They like to go on night outs and drink which is the complete opposite of what I like. I am not going to starve myself at Uni but at this point, it seems that I will be. Do you think I can request this with the uni?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I was just asking if you are able to request to be with other ethnicities in student accommodation owned by Manchester Uni? I’ve found out who I’m living with and I really don’t feel comfortable with them as I am scared they will judge me for my cooking etc. I am on the brink of not enrolling at Uni due to this. If I was to take up my occupation, I will soon request to move rooms. They like to go on night outs and drink which is the complete opposite of what I like. I am not going to starve myself at Uni but at this point, it seems that I will be. Do you think I can request this with the uni?

oh hiya yeah that makes sense! definitely check that with the uni for sure - i would feel the same
No, I don't think that you can request to live with a specific ethnicity as that, in a way, provides a leeway for (therefore promotes) racial segregation.
Give it a shot - if you seriously don't feel comfortable, you can always request to transfer to another accom but there's no guarantee that it'll be any better.
You don't have to be mates with your flatmates, and please don't feel pressured to drink or go out when you don't feel comfortable.
Cook what you like - if they're intolerant or make racist remarks, report it!
Reply 3
Original post by confuzzledteen
No, I don't think that you can request to live with a specific ethnicity as that, in a way, provides a leeway for (therefore promotes) racial segregation.
Give it a shot - if you seriously don't feel comfortable, you can always request to transfer to another accom but there's no guarantee that it'll be any better.
You don't have to be mates with your flatmates, and please don't feel pressured to drink or go out when you don't feel comfortable.
Cook what you like - if they're intolerant or make racist remarks, report it!

I understand racial segregation which by all means not what I intend to do. It’s just that I would feel more comfortable living with other ethnicities and with the additional idea of them liking to drink and party etc, I would feel like a burden because I don’t and fear the idea of them getting along expect for me. Cooking is a big issue right now for me, I am scared to cook food in the kitchen with them and I haven’t even met them yet! The reason why I would like to be with other Chinese/ethnicities students is that we can share cultures and cooking our home food won’t be questioned. Also, I’m from the UK so would like to know more Chinese students to keep my authenticity. Thanks
Reply 4
Bump, plz I need help
Original post by Anonymous
I understand racial segregation which by all means not what I intend to do. It’s just that I would feel more comfortable living with other ethnicities and with the additional idea of them liking to drink and party etc, I would feel like a burden because I don’t and fear the idea of them getting along expect for me. Cooking is a big issue right now for me, I am scared to cook food in the kitchen with them and I haven’t even met them yet! The reason why I would like to be with other Chinese/ethnicities students is that we can share cultures and cooking our home food won’t be questioned. Also, I’m from the UK so would like to know more Chinese students to keep my authenticity. Thanks

Hi there

I do not think Universities tend to offer the option to live with students of the same ethnicity.

If you know your flatmates personally (i.e. know you will not get on with them for sure), then perhaps you can ask the accommodation team to change your room. It may take a while to sort out, but hopefully they can find an alternative option for you.

If you do not know your flatmates, and it is more of a stereotypical assumption, then you can worry a bit less I think.

I am also a Chinese student, from my experience living on campus, you do not need to befriend your flatmates, in fact in my second year, I barely saw any of my flatmates, as they tended to crash at others' places for the night.

For my first year at University, although there were house parties at my flat, they were all really nice people and kept noises to an acceptable level after I asked.

Personally, I have never been judged for cooking Chinese food, or having a different culture. You can think of University as a large step up from Sixth-form, and people act more mature. So please do not be to stressed or afraid to mix with others too.

Though like I said earlier, if you gave it a try and things really are not working out between you and your flatmates, you can always write to the accommodation team to get help.

I hope this helps. :smile: If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending