The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Metropolitan University - 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Can I change course after 3 weeks of learning in 1st year? I'm on Travel & Tourism Management nad I would like to change to Business & Management. Is it possible? And how about loan?
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of completing my UCAS application, London Met shall be my first choice. I am applying to study Journalism and i was wondering if you help me out?

Does London Met offer a foundation degree in Journalism?

Thanks!
Original post by Greedoshotfirst
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of completing my UCAS application, London Met shall be my first choice. I am applying to study Journalism and i was wondering if you help me out?

Does London Met offer a foundation degree in Journalism?

Thanks!

Hey Greedoshotfirst,

I hope you are well!

I studied Journalism at London Met and it was brilliant. I graduated in the summer with a lot of knowledge, experience and friends. Plus great contacts and helpful lecturers, who are always there to help you.

Unfortunately, there isn't a foundation degree, but the course is great and you can find out all the information about it here: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/journalism---ba-hons/.

I can't praise the course enough. It has really helped me understand the industry and what it takes to be a really great journalist.

I hope this has helped and if you have any further questions please do ask.

Best,
Joey
Quick question your maths course asks for CCE last time I looked. How advanced and challenging does that get? I mean no offense intended to anyone but as a general rule students that score CCC or lower either did not work as hard as those that got A*AA+ or simply are not as smart. I know private schools and better back grounds etc helps but everyone knows ability and actual work ethic is a major factor.

If the majority of your students are not as smart and or as hard working as those that attain higher grades is your course as demanding and challenging?

I mean if your course maths degree was the same difficulty as say Bristol, Bath Nottingham etc surely most of your students would fail etc, so you kind of need to dumb it down a bit? or am I wrong?
Original post by Luke7456
Quick question your maths course asks for CCE last time I looked. How advanced and challenging does that get? I mean no offense intended to anyone but as a general rule students that score CCC or lower either did not work as hard as those that got A*AA+ or simply are not as smart. I know private schools and better back grounds etc helps but everyone knows ability and actual work ethic is a major factor.

If the majority of your students are not as smart and or as hard working as those that attain higher grades is your course as demanding and challenging?

I mean if your course maths degree was the same difficulty as say Bristol, Bath Nottingham etc surely most of your students would fail etc, so you kind of need to dumb it down a bit? or am I wrong?

Dear Luke7456,

Thank you for your enquiry. We have spoken to our maths course team and this is what their course leader Nino Folic said:

“If students get good grades they do have more options available to them. However, students might not get high A levels for any one of a number of complicated reasons. Perhaps they were working to support their family, or they are an older student with small children and returning to education, or they are the first generation in their family to aspire to university. These people still deserve the opportunity to study mathematics at degree level. I would not use grade A or better in maths A level to qualify students as smarter nor as harder working. We know from our experience of supporting students from a range of backgrounds that this isn't always true. Our graduates, first class, do go on to do master's level maths at red brick universities, and we are very proud of them as this demonstrates that our course prepared them well.

How demanding and challenging the course it is difficult to say, but you should look at the "Modular structure" section of the course page on our website which gives detailed information about the modules and may help you compare the course to other universities: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/mathematics---bsc-hons/

If you have particular questions do email us, we'd be happy to hear from you. You can contact the University from this page on our website: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/contact-us/admissions/''

We hope this helps and please do ask us any questions you have.

Best,
Joey
Original post by London Metropolitan University
Dear Luke7456,

Thank you for your enquiry. We have spoken to our maths course team and this is what their course leader Nino Folic said:

“If students get good grades they do have more options available to them. However, students might not get high A levels for any one of a number of complicated reasons. Perhaps they were working to support their family, or they are an older student with small children and returning to education, or they are the first generation in their family to aspire to university. These people still deserve the opportunity to study mathematics at degree level. I would not use grade A or better in maths A level to qualify students as smarter nor as harder working. We know from our experience of supporting students from a range of backgrounds that this isn't always true. Our graduates, first class, do go on to do master's level maths at red brick universities, and we are very proud of them as this demonstrates that our course prepared them well.

Best,
Joey

I was going to leave this alone as it gave me my answer but some people In RL saw this response and thought I had been debunked etc and should not worry about university so sorry but have to come back.

So firstly Yes Students that get poor grades may have mitigating circumstances. However in most cases I would assume that they did not work as hard or were not that bright. I am pretty certain there will be a strong correlation between effort and intelligence and peoples grades. I am aware there will be other influences but these two will major factors. I am glad that if people don't do well they can still turn it around at a later point it should never be to late.

Your language of "that this is not always true" is a nice way of subverting the issue but we already know this will not always be the case. It will the majority of the time.

Original post by London Metropolitan University

How demanding and challenging the course it is difficult to say, but you should look at the "Modular structure" section of the course page on our website which gives detailed information about the modules and may help you compare the course to other universities: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/mathematics---bsc-hons/

If you have particular questions do email us, we'd be happy to hear from you. You can contact the University from this page on our website: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/contact-us/admissions/''

We hope this helps and please do ask us any questions you have.

Best,
Joey

I will be honest I have not looked at the modular break down of this degree. The reason been there is over 74 universities for math Degrees I say 74 because there may be more but that is just what I had researched so far. Obviously I cannot have the time to research every single modular break down because if I did then I would probably end up failing A levels due to focusing on this instead.

However one thing I need to point out in response to this is you can cover material in different depth. Looking at A level maths for example I use the text book and complete their questions which seem really easy, then I look at past Maths exam papers which are a lot harder and if I sat then and there I would likely fail. so i Practice some more challenge myself go back to the drawing board so to speak and then practice again until I start hitting Strong results on practice paper. So if I can ace maths papers then Prestigious universities have entrance exams these are still based on the very same maths A level syllabus but are meant to be much harder. We have MAT/AEA etc which are meant to be a lot harder then we have STEPS (sixth term examination paper) for maths which is meant to be really hard. so in theory exams could be
1.Text book questions (really easy)
2.maths A level papers (hard at first easy once practice)
3.MAT?AEA (specifically for top attaining students meant to be very hard)
4.STEPS (is meant to be extremely hard and only top 2.5% of students sit)
these are all based on exactly the same content yet have varying degrees of difficulty. category 1 is by the easiest Category 2 is substantially harder then category 1. category 3 is substantially harder then category 2 and 4 is much harder then 3.

So simply because you cover the same modules or areas as other universities does not mean I will be as competent or skilled when I graduate your exams may be much easier. Maybe it is just as hard I would be surprised but once I have completed stage 1 of my A levels at which point I should have either A level maths and A level further maths or A level maths and as Further. I will be interested in digging up the past exam papers from university first years. How much of it will I be able to do? I would Hope none of it because otherwise what am I learning in addition to what i already know?

There is a chance I could end up at London met anyway because I have no reference. I have to ask work for a reference but that is not academic and they may give me a bad reference anyway though I hope not.

So I guess my real question would be what support do you give to students that excel? if I go to London Met I will likely be the top student in my class I will want to excel and be more skilled then the course would likely allow me to be. What extra support would you/could you give to a student who is not content with the current work load and wants more challenging and extra work to get to a higher level?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending