The Student Room Group

Gcse grade from africa are equal to which grades in uk.

I am new in Uk ,I did. my GCSE in East African Country in Africa. I was asking what does grade A ,B and C from African school in term of GCSE equal to ,in Uk System
It was my understanding that GCSEs were only available in the UK and certain schools in a small number of other countries such as Canada, Australia and India. To which "East African Country" are you referring? Do you know which examination board awarded the qualification?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
It was my understanding that GCSEs were only available in the UK and certain schools in a small number of other countries such as Canada, Australia and India. To which "East African Country" are you referring? Do you know which examination board awarded the qualification?

I did. my GCSE in Tanzania,But the GCSE system is called Certificate of Secondary Education in Tanzania.Right now I am doing both OCR and AQA board Exam . I would like you to tell me in general aspect.
Original post by DrAwadhi
I did. my GCSE in Tanzania,But the GCSE system is called Certificate of Secondary Education in Tanzania.Right now I am doing both OCR and AQA board Exam . I would like you to tell me in general aspect.

OK. That makes more sense. So you're trying establish the relationship between Tanzanian CSEs and UK GCSEs.

Looking at a few different UK universities, where that discuss the requirement for entry for those with Tanzanian CSEs they tend to specify that a grade C is required, which is the same grade as they would require of those taking UK GCSEs before they changed to numeric grades a few years ago. For example:

On their Tanzania-specific page, here, Cardiff Metropolitan University state their English Language requirement as "CSE/EACE English grade C or above" or "GCSE/O-Level English grade C or above"
On their Tanzania-specific page, here, London Metropolitan University state their Mathematics requirement (if applicable to your course) as "CSE with grade C", and if we check their requirement for UK students, here, they say, "We normally require two passes at GCSE (or equivalent) at grade C/grade 4 (for applicants sitting GCSEs post-2017) or above for English Language and, where required, Maths."

So Tanzanian CSE grade C = UK GCSE grade C (using letter grades).

It seems reasonable to assume, therefore, that there is a direct translation for the other letter grades too.

If you need to convert to the numeric grades which are more typically used in the UK now, then you can use the table below (note that there is not a direct translation):
Reply 4
Thanks for the deep details 🙏. I truly appreciate for that .Now I have a glance summary about grades .

Quick Reply

Latest