The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

City bound
That amounts to, there's unlimited Y provided that there's unlimited X, from which we can make Y. X is unlimited provided we can find a way of producing it from an unlimited process. Seriously, that's ridiculous. There is no way of producing "unlimited" anything.
That's my point. Jeez. :p:

Anyway, with fusion, I hadn't realized they had got past the "putting more energy in than they get out" problem. Last I heard was that they needed platinum for it and there wasn't enough to make it into a widely used method.
I think they have, but I'm not sure. In any case, the criterion for fusion hitting the big time is not so much a positive energy balance as a positive bank balance at the end of the process.
Reply 41
Agent Smith
That's my point. Jeez. :p:

I think they have, but I'm not sure. In any case, the criterion for fusion hitting the big time is not so much a positive energy balance as a positive bank balance at the end of the process.

Sorry, my bad.

Agreed, I'm not placing any bets on how long it'll take to become viable. The jury's out.
Agent Smith
Unlimited energy devices contradict the most basic laws of physics; furthermore, the various claims to have built one have never been verified.

Your assuming that the laws of physics are complete and correct for your statement to be true. However, saying that science has accomplished that is a very unwise statement. Science has failed to achieve the goals of understanding the fabric of our existence, and instead focus's on the material world.

No one ever questions the idea of matter, or the forces, such as gravity or electricity, and since the laws are incomplete, so how can one say an energy device contradict the laws of physics?

Free energy is possible, but not as in "free" from nothing. The energy is coming from somewhere, science has just failed to probe the idea far enough..

So in conclusion, saying its not possible is foolhardy, because unless you understand completely the laws of existence and reality itself, you can not even claim something is impossible.

Is what i said not true? Honest answer please :smile:
Reply 43
FreedomtoFascism
Your assuming that the laws of physics are complete and correct for your statement to be true. However, saying that science has accomplished that is a very unwise statement. Science has failed to achieve the goals of understanding the fabric of our existence, and instead focus's on the material world.

No one ever questions the idea of matter, or the forces, such as gravity or electricity, and since the laws are incomplete, so how can one say an energy device contradict the laws of physics?

Free energy is possible, but not as in "free" from nothing. The energy is coming from somewhere, science has just failed to probe the idea far enough..

So in conclusion, saying its not possible is foolhardy, because unless you understand completely the laws of existence and reality itself, you can not even claim something is impossible.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you are right. There is no evidence for this "unlimited" source of oil. Therefore it is perfectly legitimate to disregard it. It's the "religion/chocolate teapot" argument in a different form. In reality, as I have already said, the "topping up" of oil fields is just the movement of oil upwards into the space that is left by that which has already been removed. The ridiculous part of your proposal is the assumption that oil is being created rather than just moving. Science, as well as previous experience of near identical circumstances, have already explained the situation.
FreedomtoFascism

You're quite right in that sense. I'm certainly not using the "if that were true we wouldn't be able to do the sums" line of argument in isolation, and I'm not claiming that it is complete proof on its own. A better statement would be "based on current science, such a machine is conceptually impossible".

However, my other point still stands - the existence of a machine or device such as you describe has never been proven.
Agent Smith
You're quite right in that sense. I'm certainly not using the "if that were true we wouldn't be able to do the sums" line of argument in isolation, and I'm not claiming that it is complete proof on its own. A better statement would be "based on current science, such a machine is conceptually impossible".

However, my other point still stands - the existence of a machine or device such as you describe has never been proven.

Well you'd think so, but i suggest you read up on "Nikola Tesla". He is now portrayed as the crazy scientist madman genius in cartoons, yet that man gave us electricity literally. His system (AC) was far more efficient than DC current, yet, Edison staged events where he actually killed animals using AC current to try and convince people it was "evil", and use his DC system instead.

Teslas dream was to beam power wirelessly, globally, and for free (since he knew how to draw unlimited power). Its not hard to see why he mite have been subject to slander and supression. People in the oil industry wouldn't take his invention lightly...they would lose out big time.

I think there is also a very sinister reason why free energy devices have never surfaced. I think if science probed into free energy, it would also discover more about our reality itself. Its my personal belief that everything is a wave, ie, there is no such thing as matter, which raises even more questions about who we really are.

I cant find the link, but i remember reading about Fusion reactors that are being tested, and they were creating excess power, yet, no one could explain where the extra energy was comign from.
Reply 46
Could you explain what you mean by "free energy"? any examples of it? ideas?
There is no such thing as free energy. You can not create energy from nothing, only transfer it.

The "free" implies more than it is free in a material sense, ie, you don't need to feed a free energy device with more fuel/power after it starts generating excess power.

The most common theme is zero point energy, or, energy being drawn out of a vacuum. The fact that there is energy in a complete vacuum suggests that there is some underlying fabric to our dimension, or whatever you mite call it.

This article is an overview of free energy, and is an informative read; http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2003/06/06/ramifications_of_free_energytesla_and_others.htm
Reply 48
FreedomtoFascism
Its my personal belief that everything is a wave, ie, there is no such thing as matter

Particles, waves, these are labels we give to the properties of the world we observe around us. Nature doesn't classify whether something is matter or not, these are constructions of the human mind to allow us to understand the world. Something can exhibit both wave and particle characteristics, now is it a wave or particle? People decide to choose one over the other depending on the evidence given to them. When the evidence is balanced, sometimes we choose one over the other because it seems more attractive.

On the laws of physics, although we do not understand everything, we understand somethings reasonably well in order to make good guesses. It is my guess that free energy, in the form which has been mentioned is not likely. In many energy transformation methods energy is lost in the form of heat, other forms of energy that are not so useful to us. It is not easy to recover the losses. Also for a machine to carry on running without the supply of fuel is along the lines of the perpetual motion machine.
apple tree
Particles, waves, these are labels we give to the properties of the world we observe around us. Nature doesn't classify whether something is matter or not, these are constructions of the human mind to allow us to understand the world. Something can exhibit both wave and particle characteristics, now is it a wave or particle? People decide to choose one over the other depending on the evidence given to them. When the evidence is balanced, sometimes we choose one over the other because it seems more attractive.

On the laws of physics, although we do not understand everything, we understand somethings reasonably well in order to make good guesses. It is my guess that free energy, in the form which has been mentioned is not likely. In many energy transformation methods energy is lost in the form of heat, other forms of energy that are not so useful to us. It is not easy to recover the losses. Also for a machine to carry on running without the supply of fuel is along the lines of the perpetual motion machine.

This is the kind of intelligent reply i like (gave u rep).

But the idea of "matter"...its widely known one can split an atom. Whats to say you can't split the sub atomic particles? There really is no such thing as matter, but even particles such as electrons, neutrons, protons, which people think to be solid, aren't. They are merely energy (wave) which is fluxing/pulsing.

But when it comes to free energy, the energy is obviously coming from somewhere outside our perceptions, which is why i think its very easy to dismiss the idea.
Reply 50
have you guys even seen a video about ascientist whose succesfully used water to provide as a burning gas as well as car fuel? It has passed all safety regulations.. however its still under scrutiny by the american government.

A lot of scientists has done research to harness energy from water and I think this might be just the break we need.
Reply 51
Zero point modules? those are in Stargate my freind (and a good show it is too:p: )

FreedomtoFascism
But the idea of "matter"...its widely known one can split an atom. Whats to say you can't split the sub atomic particles?

You might be able to.

There really is no such thing as matter, but even particles such as electrons, neutrons, protons, which people think to be solid, aren't. They are merely energy (wave) which is fluxing/pulsing.

Well, matter and energy are interchangeable to an extent. I'm not an expert with the physics.

But when it comes to free energy, the energy is obviously coming from somewhere outside our perceptions, which is why i think its very easy to dismiss the idea.

Whilst it may be possible, can you go further? as far as i know the nature of a vacuum such as space is disputed. Your argument seems to be supporting the idea of an "ether" which people have theorised may be driving the expansion of space. i suppose its possible you could extract energy from that. You web link looks like some sort of compsiracy site:confused:
Reply 52
I heard about hydrogen fuels, but I don't know how far away they are from the mass market. In order for it to be a success, I presume it would require the input and backing from major energy companies. If the current fossil fuelled companies had a heart (and brain), they would invest more into the other sources, even if it was only to secure their future.
But the lifetime of fat cats in the game are short compared to the length of time for research and change. The people making a lot of money out of fossil fuels are resistant to change at the best of times. The investment required (to make such alternative fuels viable to the masses) means that the best placed players, with the new energy sources, are those monopolies in the current fossil fuelled game.
There are also problems with replacing oil based products. I think material scientists are going to have a fun and tough time finding alternatives.
Reply 53
For one, we should recycle more. But that's another issue.

Personally, I'd rather the end came sooner than later - it's only when the end begins that people will really start looking into alternatives, and until then nothing is really going to change except that the environment is going to be damaged more and more, which really isn't going to help (incidentally I fully realize that an end to oil does NOT mean an end to pollution - merely a reduction). I'm not particularly firghtened though - sure, things may be pretty grim, but it's going to happen whether we like it or not, so it might as well happen sooner rather than later, as we are only becoming increasingly dependent on oil rather than decreasingly soon: the later it happens, the worse the effects will be.
Reply 54
FreedomtoFascism
This is the kind of intelligent reply i like (gave u rep).

But the idea of "matter"...its widely known one can split an atom. Whats to say you can't split the sub atomic particles? There really is no such thing as matter, but even particles such as electrons, neutrons, protons, which people think to be solid, aren't. They are merely energy (wave) which is fluxing/pulsing.

Yes, matter is energy. Yes, the two are interchangeable (see Einstein). Yes, subatomic particles can be broken down (see Quarks, Baryons, Mesons, etc). They exhibit wave-like properties. Energy is neither a wave nor a particle, if you assume "energy" to take the form of an EM wave it actually travels in particles (see photons, see Einstein). Light has been slowed down to the extent that we can observe it traveling in photons.

As you just admitted, free energy doesn't exist it only gets transfered.

FreedomtoFascism
I cant find the link, but i remember reading about Fusion reactors that are being tested, and they were creating excess power, yet, no one could explain where the extra energy was comign from.

This is wrong I'm afraid. How I would love for it to be true. Fusion has been tested for ages, the latest I heard about it was that they were still struggling to overcome the fact that they had to put in more energy than they got out. Look into the physics of it and you'll understand why.
Reply 55
If anyone is interested in the development of fusion they could search for the ITER project, going to be built in France with international collaboration.
City bound
Yes, matter is energy. Yes, the two are interchangeable (see Einstein). Yes, subatomic particles can be broken down (see Quarks, Baryons, Mesons, etc). They exhibit wave-like properties. Energy is neither a wave nor a particle, if you assume "energy" to take the form of an EM wave it actually travels in particles (see photons, see Einstein). Light has been slowed down to the extent that we can observe it traveling in photons.

Energy is neither a wave nor particle? What is it then?...I'll think you'll find the paradox involves light and energy.

Light and electromagnetic matter caused a challenge to the mechanical era of Newton. Light and all electro magnetic matter, showed no resistance to motion. [No inertial mass]. Since scientist were viewing gravitational mass and inertial mass as one and the same, it led to assume that light has no mass. Yet it was shown that light like a particle could knock out an electron from an atomic shell.

Energy IS light. Everything is light, which in turn, is a wave, just vibrating on different frequencies on a spectrum of infinite proportions. The more interesting question arrises, what about gravity and life on this spectrum?..I'll leave you to think about it.

City bound
As you just admitted, free energy doesn't exist it only gets transfered.

You still misunderstand the phrase "free energy". Free energy does exist. Its still coming from somewhere, ie, being transfered, but where its coming from is something that science has being trying to avoid, because it would reveal more about the fabric of our existence then "they" would like you to know :wink:

City bound
This is wrong I'm afraid. How I would love for it to be true. Fusion has been tested for ages, the latest I heard about it was that they were still struggling to overcome the fact that they had to put in more energy than they got out. Look into the physics of it and you'll understand why.

Have you not heard of Cold Fusion? This is basically along the lines of Teslas work. The excess energy (heat) is created through nuclear fusion on a small scale. But what is really happening is to do with oscillations and the water.

Hot Fusion will never happen, simply beacuse our technology is poor, and it can't be managed, let alone effeciently for smaller use.

There is something similar to Cold Fusion involving cavitys created in the water using a frequency of around 50hz i believe, and pulsing at a specific oscillation, which creates these little bubbles for a fraction of a second, but which are extremely bright and hold temperatures greater than the sun. I can't remember the name of it, something like somnoluminescence.

There is enormous energy output from those, but they are very very tiny, so harnessening them would be difficult, but it still proves you can gain more energy out than you put in, IF you know enough about the way the universe works, which sadly, science has failed to uncover, simply because its transfixed on the physical.

Science has come to a dead end. It must come into harmony with the spiritual side of things. Sounds odd, but its true. There is such a thing as unity, and unless we come to realise this, we will simply spiral towards destruction.
Reply 57
FreedomtoFascism
Energy is neither a wave nor particle? What is it then?...I'll think you'll find the paradox involves light and energy.

Light and electromagnetic matter caused a challenge to the mechanical era of Newton. Light and all electro magnetic matter, showed no resistance to motion. [No inertial mass]. Since scientist were viewing gravitational mass and inertial mass as one and the same, it led to assume that light has no mass. Yet it was shown that light like a particle could knock out an electron from an atomic shell.

Energy IS light. Everything is light, which in turn, is a wave, just vibrating on different frequencies on a spectrum of infinite proportions. The more interesting question arrises, what about gravity and life on this spectrum?..I'll leave you to think about it.

"Light" is a human construction. It just so happens that we see a distinction between it and other parts of the spectrum. To say "everything it light" is false. Everything is energy and light is a form of energy. It has been shown that, in certain circumstance, material objects can exhibit wave-like properties. That doesn't mean it made of light. Light exhibits both wave-like and particle properties. Hence Photons. Stop trying to sound like you know something.

FreedomtoFascism
You still misunderstand the phrase "free energy". Free energy does exist. Its still coming from somewhere, ie, being transfered, but where its coming from is something that science has being trying to avoid, because it would reveal more about the fabric of our existence then "they" would like you to know :wink:

You the one who made the link between "free energy" and the word "unlimited".

FreedomtoFascism
Have you not heard of Cold Fusion? This is basically along the lines of Teslas work. The excess energy (heat) is created through nuclear fusion on a small scale. But what is really happening is to do with oscillations and the water.

Hot Fusion will never happen, simply beacuse our technology is poor, and it can't be managed, let alone effeciently for smaller use.

There is something similar to Cold Fusion involving cavitys created in the water using a frequency of around 50hz i believe, and pulsing at a specific oscillation, which creates these little bubbles for a fraction of a second, but which are extremely bright and hold temperatures greater than the sun. I can't remember the name of it, something like somnoluminescence.

There is enormous energy output from those, but they are very very tiny, so harnessening them would be difficult, but it still proves you can gain more energy out than you put in, IF you know enough about the way the universe works, which sadly, science has failed to uncover, simply because its transfixed on the physical.

Science has come to a dead end. It must come into harmony with the spiritual side of things. Sounds odd, but its true. There is such a thing as unity, and unless we come to realise this, we will simply spiral towards destruction.

Again, I said they haven't got over the problem. Thankyou for agreeing with me.
FreedomtoFascism
I've heard of the Cold Fusion that flared and died in 1989, yes.

Hot fusion has happened. The only remaining issue is whittling down the costs - it's been the same with every new technology.
What a bunch of conformists, do any of you actually think for yourselves?

"Light" is a human construction. It just so happens that we see a distinction between it and other parts of the spectrum. To say "everything it light" is false. Everything is energy and light is a form of energy. It has been shown that, in certain circumstance, material objects can exhibit wave-like properties. That doesn't mean it made of light. Light exhibits both wave-like and particle properties. Hence Photons. Stop trying to sound like you know something.

No, everything is light, because light is energy, and everything is energy. Its just your perception of light is different to what it actually is, beacuse people like Newton got it wrong. Wave and particle properties? How can you even begin to prove that light can exhibit both properties, when to claim that is to claim that you understand the way in which reality works.

Light is not a particle, nor does this change at any point. There is NO SUCH THING AS A PARTICLE, because a particle directly implies the idea of solid matter, when infact, as you should know, there is NO SUCH THING AS MATTER.

You just say "photons" and expect to be correct..that shows how little YOU actually know, not me. Your still stuck in the primary school mentality that "particles" exist as tiny little spheres of matter, when in actual fact, everything is simply a wave, oscillating. There is no such thing as "solid".

All "particles" are not solid, nor are they spheres of "something". The whole sphere thing comes from the idea that the "particles" that constitute that particle, ie, subatomic forming a proton for instance, can occupy any space within that sphere at any time.

Cold Fusion has worked, and so has sominoluminescence, its just science failing to explain them properly that is the problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending