The Student Room Group

cant stop pulling my hair

I pull my hair, one by one especially those curly crinkly ones and it feels so good. But my hair is thinning because of this. Any oil?? i heard rosemary is good but quite expensive and not sure if will work on my hair...btw i got NOOO ALLErgies so I can apply any oil.

any help will do.
Reply 1
since im asian, i cant go to gp about this, but i don't think i have trich and i do not want to take medicine. I believe putting oil will calm it down

any ideas?
Reply 2
what makes you think that putting oil in your hair will stop you from pulling it out?
You should try a picky stone or something else to pick at xxx
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
since im asian, i cant go to gp about this

Yes, you can and you should.
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
what makes you think that putting oil in your hair will stop you from pulling it out?

to calm my head so i can feel relaxed.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
Yes, you can and you should.

i know exactly what medicine theyre going to prescribe me. I do not want to go as I don't think I have trich. I can only stop pulling it when I am not doing anything such as watching tv, otherwise it goes on. Maybe I'm anxious!?
I pull my hair, one by one especially those curly crinkly ones and it feels so good. But my hair is thinning because of this. Any oil?? i heard rosemary is good but quite expensive and not sure if will work on my hair...btw i got NOOO ALLErgies so I can apply any oil.

any help will do.

Sounds like Trichotillomania. You should speak to your doctor as this is a mental health condition. If you stop pulling your hair, it'll just grow back as normal, no oil needed. It will thin out if you keep pulling hair out. I knew someone who had this and they ended up needing a wig because they couldn't stop.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 8
to calm my head so i can feel relaxed.

To calm your scalp? Is you scalp itchy? Or do you mean to help with feeling stressed?

i know exactly what medicine theyre going to prescribe me.

what medicine do you think they would prescribe you (or what makes you think they would even prescribe medicine)?

any help will do.

i think the bigger issue is you picking your hair rather than the oil to use for your hair thinning, ofc you should looks for oils help thicken and fasten the growth sorry i dont know any. but instead i think you should get something like a fidgety toy thats small or like an elastic hair band something that you can play with insteasd of pullin your hair doing this would more likely have a greater effect on the growth of your than just soley an oil
Reply 10
i know exactly what medicine theyre going to prescribe me. I do not want to go as I don't think I have trich. I can only stop pulling it when I am not doing anything such as watching tv, otherwise it goes on. Maybe I'm anxious!?

In discussing hair oil you are talking about treating a symptom of your condition and not the cause.

If you were prescribed medication, what's wrong with that? Have you never taken a painkiller? If you could manage to overcome this on your own you wouldn't be posting on here. Hence you need to get professional medical help.

Quick Reply

Latest