The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Global warming couldn't possibly be due to one of several factors other than Carbon emissons?
MentalSarcasm
You see! That's the problem! If this country was more pro-green for students I'd be all for it. My friend Eva lives in the Netherlands, she's a student and every year she gets a special card that allows her free travel on trains and buses on either weekdays or weekends, she can choose which card to go for. And even then when she pays it's still cheaper than it is here (and that's with me converting from Euro to Sterling) AND there's no shortage of seats on trains.

We could learn a thing or two from the Dutch.

thats probably because the dutch will be royally screwed if there was even slight global warming
Reply 22
//Mike
Global warming couldn't possibly be due to one of several factors other than Carbon emissons?

Yeah, sure, but its hard to say that we're not making an impact.
But nobody could say 100% for sure about most things, in this case the risks
involved (venus, anyone? :smile: ) mean that we should probably do something about it regardless.
Reply 23
toipot2
Yeah, sure, but its hard to say that we're not making an impact.
But nobody could say 100% for sure about most things, in this case the risks
involved (venus, anyone? :smile: ) mean that we should probably do something about it regardless.

I concur that we are making an impact, but an impact so insignificant that to stop Carbon emissions completely would have no effect on global warming.

Anyhow, as I said earlier, this isn't the time nor place.
Reply 24
I seem to remember that, millions of years ago, we were in an ice age? I also seem to remember that the earth warmed up, and we came out of said ice age without the help of human carbon emissions? Global Warming exists, no doubt. But its causes are still largely unknown, and as I personally don't believe humans have a measurable effect on it, it's not something I lose sleep over.
Reply 25
And it is something I doubt that any current serving government (along the lines of the G8 group) is losing sleep over. Sure, they nod their head towards it, but if you think that all these so called 'green taxes' are for the good of the environment then you are living in a dream world. The small effect they may have is meerly a by-product of the governments capitalising on an opportunity to increase revenue.
Reply 26
Sync
I seem to remember that, millions of years ago, we were in an ice age? I also seem to remember that the earth warmed up, and we came out of said ice age without the help of human carbon emissions? Global Warming exists, no doubt. But its causes are still largely unknown, and as I personally don't believe humans have a measurable effect on it, it's not something I lose sleep over.

*itches to argue*
We need another global warming thread in D+D :biggrin:
Reply 27
It's surprising how much of an effect we do have on the climate.

[semi-relevant fact]
Admittedly this isn't global warming, but in the days following 9/11, when all planes in america were grounded, the lack of vapour trails cause the average temperature to rise 1 degree.

I found that quite surprising to be honest.

[/semi-relevant fact]
Reply 28
doublex
It's surprising how much of an effect we do have on the climate.

[semi-relevant fact]
Admittedly this isn't global warming, but in the days following 9/11, when all planes in america were grounded, the lack of vapour trails cause the average temperature to rise 1 degree.

I found that quite surprising to be honest.

[/semi-relevant fact]

pfleh, source? not sure I believe that :smile:

1 degree is a heck of a lot, if anything that would be down to normal heating/cooling cycles

besides, consider all the greenhouse gasses that planes chuck out
Reply 29
Edit: Ignore me.
Reply 30
toipot2
pfleh, source? not sure I believe that :smile:

1 degree is a heck of a lot, if anything that would be down to normal heating/cooling cycles

It was on Horizon a while ago, so I'd say completely reliable.

It doesn't mean that it was a permanent rise, the temperature change just lasted until the planes were back up and running.

EDIT: article here
Reply 31
Found some info on it here
http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?t=213752
A few posts down, its a surprise, certainly, thanks for letting me know that one doublex :smile:
Reply 32
F1 fanatic
Or perhaps we'd just be better off creating a new form of pollution free power such as nuclear fusion :cool:

You're right about that! If we were prepared to put the investment into it now, we could have commercially-viable plants operating by 2050. Maybe even earlier if we took the same approach as Kennedy did with putting a man on the moon - setting a target date and insisting it be achieved.

Latest

Trending

Trending