The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:rolleyes: This again.
NJA
Surely as the bright, intelligent future of the country, indeed the world, students should take a lead in this . . . at least by attitude - I already wash my clothes in the bath rather than using the machine, and if I had a mangle I would use that instead of the spin-dryer.

If your parents are using a big car you can encourage them to down-size now that you have fledged the nest.

What other ways can/should students be sensible in this matter?

There are far more beneficial things you can do than washing your clothes in a bath. Not using a car at all is one way of doing it and we students are pretty good at that once we're at uni (nowhere to park the things). Turning lights off and not leaving gadgets on would also help. I do not see though, that washing in a bathtub has a good inconvenience:benefit ratio.

Perhaps we should stop using mobile phones too.

Or perhaps we'd just be better off creating a new form of pollution free power such as nuclear fusion :cool:
Reply 3
NJA

Would it be rude and sensible of me to tell you where to stick your happy-clappy CO2 bath-washing-nancy plans?
Reply 4
i guess most students are energy consious in the fact they want to save money for their energy bills...so turning lights off and things like that uses less electric.
Reply 5
Oh, I completely advocate things like turning off lights purely on a cost saving ground.

What I will not take however is people reccommending to me that I wash my clothes in a bath over a washing machine on grounds of carbon emissions - I have never heard such codswallop, and the sooner the green brigade understand that the significant majority of what they come out with is utter tripe, the better it will be for the rest of us.
Reply 6
Hear hear!
Reply 7
//Mike
Would it be rude and sensible of me to tell you where to stick your happy-clappy CO2 bath-washing-nancy plans?

best comments ive heard so far!! will be repped
Reply 8
Am I missing something here? What is innately enviromentally unfriendly about using a washing machine?
Reply 9
Because by using something so dreadfully polluting as a washing machine, you are contributing a shocking 0.0000000000000001% extra of the world's carbon emmisions. Slapped wrist for you! Honestly, it's ridiculous to imagine you can really alter every aspect of your life to 'save the planet' (stupid and innacurate phrase), so you might as well face up to the fact that you are going to leave a 'carbon footprint' (another balmy watchword beloved of environmentalists - what's so bad about footprints?) whatever you do. Obviously don't be irresponsible, but when you buy your next car or washing machine don't worry about whether x or y has marginally lower CO2 emmisions. Choose the cheapest one that looks good.

And anyway, you would probably cause more pollution by not washing your clothes...
Reply 10
sorry i couldnt hear the point of that post over my 20 high speed coal powered, lamb eating, turbo washing machines.
what was it again. :rolleyes:
NJA
Surely as the bright, intelligent future of the country, indeed the world, students should take a lead in this . . . at least by attitude - I already wash my clothes in the bath rather than using the machine, and if I had a mangle I would use that instead of the spin-dryer.

If your parents are using a big car you can encourage them to down-size now that you have fledged the nest.

Bloody hippy.

Why are you using a spin dryer at all? Have you heard of pegging the washing outside?
yeah spin dryer is a lot worse than a washing machine.

to be honest sometimes I think people with those big landrovers are a bit stupid but meh if i had the money id get a ferrari or something.
Reply 13
supernova2
to be honest sometimes I think people with those big landrovers are a bit stupid

Booo!!!:p:
//Mike
What I will not take however is people reccommending to me that I wash my clothes in a bath over a washing machine on grounds of carbon emissions - I have never heard such codswallop, and the sooner the green brigade understand that the significant majority of what they come out with is utter tripe, the better it will be for the rest of us.

Any particular argument you have there, or are you just appealing to the fact that you are stating the majority view as a vindication of your opinion?

I'm fairly neutral on environmental issues, but the way you make your point strikes me as lacking sufficient thought.
My Mum has a VW Sharon, because it's a 7 seater and there are 6 of us in the family. And even though I'm not at home that often anymore, she still shares the school run with other people so that cuts down emissions (before anyone says it, no there is no school bus, the council is too cheap to provide one).
Reply 16
I try to do all the little things that will help slightly. e.g turning off lights, only washing full loads etc.

But as a student it seems to be the intention of government to leave me in as much debt as possible, therefore the cheapest option always wins.
Reply 17
Chumbaniya
Any particular argument you have there, or are you just appealing to the fact that you are stating the majority view as a vindication of your opinion?

I'm fairly neutral on environmental issues, but the way you make your point strikes me as lacking sufficient thought.

Frankly I don't have a huge amount of time to waste drafting a long reply detailing my every intricate motive...

This is also not the forum for a debate and discussion of the nature you seem to want - the OP was asking for people to suggest ideas of what students can do to reduce their carbon footprint; I have suggested an idea - don't bat an eyelid.
Reply 18
I dont wash my clothes in the bath (although I can see the reasoning behind it)

But im as active as I can be in other areas (walk/use public transport, buy local goods, careful with electricity and water, dont fly (if I can possibly avoid it)), and would certainly call myself a green advocate.

Some of the possible consequences of global warming are bloody scary, and reading this thread I suggest most posters here need to read up on it :smile:
Fordyville
But as a student it seems to be the intention of government to leave me in as much debt as possible, therefore the cheapest option always wins.

You see! That's the problem! If this country was more pro-green for students I'd be all for it. My friend Eva lives in the Netherlands, she's a student and every year she gets a special card that allows her free travel on trains and buses on either weekdays or weekends, she can choose which card to go for. And even then when she pays it's still cheaper than it is here (and that's with me converting from Euro to Sterling) AND there's no shortage of seats on trains.

We could learn a thing or two from the Dutch.

Latest

Trending

Trending