The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by eggpotato
Mocks don't prepare me well for the real exam. Revising for the real exam prepares me well for the real exam.

well not for everyone though.. mocks and revising for the real exam ah forget it :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ko111
well not for everyone though.. mocks and revising for the real exam = prepares well for the real exam :tongue:

Yeah I know, you're right they are useful for some people :smile: But I personally hate them lol
Reply 182
Yeah I know, you're right they are useful for some people :smile: But I personally hate them lol

lol alright each to their own :biggrin:
I agree - they should either be in February, or December before the term ends. I can't deal with this revising over Christmas thing haha. Yeah same - mocks for me are on the 2nd week back. Which at least is better than last year - last year we had mocks literally the first day back. It was ridiculous and everyone failed. Lol (but most people did better in the actual exams)

No suprise there! Besides, most teachers use recent exams for the mocks, that's not even a valid test because it's very unlikely June 2014 questions will appear in June 2015! I don't agree with mocks and never will, hahaha. :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by Husnara_a
No suprise there! Besides, most teachers use recent exams for the mocks, that's not even a valid test because it's very unlikely June 2014 questions will appear in June 2015! I don't agree with mocks and never will, hahaha. :smile:

not having a debate or anything :biggrin: but just wanted to say teachers use the latest paper because they know that most candidates haven't seen the paper yet and so they can see how they get on with it and areas they can go over in class. the questions will most likely not appear in 2015 for psychology (although you never know they may repeat some questions this year!) however for example for maths you can expect similar style of questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I'm taking biological rhythms/sleep, gender and relationships. Anyone got tips for essay writing the bio rhythms stuff? There are so many studies I need to remember!
Original post by Husnara_a

Yep

Original post by ko111
not having a debate or anything :biggrin: but just wanted to say teachers use the latest paper because they know that most candidates haven't seen the paper yet and so they can see how they get on with it and areas they can go over in class. the questions will most likely not appear in 2015 for psychology (although you never know they may repeat some questions this year!) however for example for maths you can expect similar style of questions.

For maths and sciences, sure. But for a subject like psych it's very unlikely that they'll have the same essay titles/questions consecutively.

Also, with a bit of snooping, students can get their hands on June 2014 papers quite easily. You may see that as 'cheating' and not giving a good representation of how you're doing, but I would use the june 2014 papers to revise and pass mocks just so teachers don't get on my ass for not revising. And plus using the papers to revise is better than not revising at all as far as I'm concerned.

Btw I know you weren't talking to me, but I'm just giving my input :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 187
Yep

For maths and sciences, sure. But for a subject like psych it's very unlikely that they'll have the same essay titles/questions consecutively.

Also, with a bit of snooping, students can get their hands on June 2014 papers quite easily. You may see that as 'cheating' and not giving a good representation of how you're doing, but I would use the june 2014 papers to revise and pass mocks just so teachers don't get on my ass for not revising. And plus using the papers to revise is better than not revising at all as far as I'm concerned.

Btw I know you weren't talking to me, but I'm just giving my input :smile:

no problem, i know it's unlikely yes but you never know anything's possible if the exam boards want to they can ask questions on the same topic but each worth different marks.

They shouldn't really be accessed by students online only teachers should have access to the latest papers and answers. Those who want a taste of how their a2 exams will be like then mocks is the best way tbh (if you're doing it in exam hall and everything). Your way how would you know what topics you're struggling with and how can your teacher help you? I'm not sure how your teacher does it but after our mocks our teacher used to go over all the topics everyone found hard that way we understand it better and she would give examples of the kind of answers examiners look for..

Original post by 1D - Belieber

you'll be warned for this by mods you should delete it..
(edited 9 years ago)
Is anyone doing social development in child development and schizophrenia & mood disorders and and forensic psychology for applied options? Also, anyone got any good tips on how to revise for psychology? My other A levels are Biology and Chemistry and its pretty straightforward on how to revise for those two but Im finding it hard to revise for psychology in terms of revision technique? :/

Thanks!
Original post by ko111

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from and it's understandable why they do use recent papers. :smile: AQA are ones that rarely repeat questions for the next paper so I highly doubt it, but there is a possibility! Never the less, as long as you have an essay answer for every possible question; you should be fine in the mock & the exam. Also, to refer to your point that students shouldn't have access; our teachers told us last years question for June 2014 so we know which ones are least likely to come up in the mock exam. Students should not have access to the paper but it's easy as ABC to find out the questions. :biggrin:
Original post by 1D - Belieber
links to the papers ....

that's dangerous...
I'm finding eating behaviour a little hard to get my head around. The studies that my class are covering just don't make sense to me, I've resorted to learning my own from my revision guid. In the end, do people think it will matter? I feel as though understanding the studies will make it easier to remember them... surely...
Reply 192
Original post by Cara_rose
I'm finding eating behaviour a little hard to get my head around. The studies that my class are covering just don't make sense to me, I've resorted to learning my own from my revision guid. In the end, do people think it will matter? I feel as though understanding the studies will make it easier to remember them... surely...

as long as you understand them and expand on the points effectively (relating them to theory) then it doesn't matter. also a good idea would be to google the latest research papers and use the latest studies in them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by khaleesi_
Is anyone doing social development in child development and schizophrenia & mood disorders and and forensic psychology for applied options? Also, anyone got any good tips on how to revise for psychology? My other A levels are Biology and Chemistry and its pretty straightforward on how to revise for those two but Im finding it hard to revise for psychology in terms of revision technique? :/

Thanks!

I find making essay plans for a variety of questions, alway putting enough information in for a 24 mark question.
By doing this over and over for different wordings of the questions ect... you will learn the content and exam technique.

Also condensing your notes is a good method of revision so trying to get each topic onto a revision cards, but not in one go do it in chunks.
Hi,

Would anyone be able to help me answer this question for 4 marks.
Essays I've found go into too much detail for 4 marks, how would I answer in short just for 4 marks/

'outline neural and/or hormonal mechanisms in aggression'
Reply 195
Original post by sandykaur
Hi,

Would anyone be able to help me answer this question for 4 marks.
Essays I've found go into too much detail for 4 marks, how would I answer in short just for 4 marks/

'outline neural and/or hormonal mechanisms in aggression'

Hi, pick one neural or hormonal explanation (whichever one you find easy) and write about 1/3 a page on it. :smile:
Hey, how is everyone? How's revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ko111
Hi, pick one neural or hormonal explanation (whichever one you find easy) and write about 1/3 a page on it. :smile:

how would I split it down into 4 brief points, I end up writing like too much :frown:
Reply 198
Original post by sandykaur
how would I split it down into 4 brief points, I end up writing like too much :frown:

what sort of things have you written briefly? basically describe the main processes involved and cut out any irrelevant bits.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tylerrrrr
Hey, how is everyone? How's revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Tyler, good thanks and you?
Going well - it's just the gender topic that I'm struggling on. I forget some of the vital info.
We've started RM and Media

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending