The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinkflower101
Sounds like a lot of work! I was using your technique but it took me too long. So my frds who graduated from uni suggested that I should sum things up onto flash cards and try and write essays out of those.

Thats probably a better way!
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
Hiya!

I'm also doing aggression and eating disorders. I don't know how people are learning it through mind maps and revision cards as there's so much content, but everyone learns differently :smile: what I do is literally say each sentence of my essay out load and then write it down, and then repeat the whole thing once I'm done. I'd suggest splitting up your time and having plenty of breaks. I usually do 25 mins then take a 5 minute break, then after 4 slots I take a half an hour break. I have also recorded myself saying the essays out loud as these are helpful when you're on the bus or whatever and all you have to do is listen... have you started revision yet? :smile:

Hey!

Thanks! :smile: I'm doing essay maps for mine and doing some risky process of elmination. I'm going to focus hard on the ones my teachers think may come up tho. Mine is such a risky strategy but I cant cram this all in!

Not properly, I've looked at essays and read them but not started yet :smile:
Original post by 345423KNL
Hey!

Thanks! :smile: I'm doing essay maps for mine and doing some risky process of elmination. I'm going to focus hard on the ones my teachers think may come up tho. Mine is such a risky strategy but I cant cram this all in!

Not properly, I've looked at essays and read them but not started yet :smile:

Oooh risky stuffs! You should be alright though. Also check out loopa psychology closer the time, the predictions for the exams will come up on there and they have been right a lot of the time :smile:
Original post by beautyviews
For biological explanations of schizophrenia do i need to include family, twin AND adoption studies for genetics as well as the dopamine hypothesis. Seems like so much A01 for 8 marks

Also my teachers said to do 'family share the same environments too' and the fact that identical twins share more of the same environment than DZ twins.. but aren't these really similar? do i need both?

Hi I would not do family, twins and adoption studies as part of your AO1 for genetics as that is a lot on top of outlining the dopamine hypothesis.

For genetics AO1, I would outline family studies in genetic transmission e.g. Kendler as well as twin studies and concordance rates e.g. Gottesman.

You could include adoption studies as part of your AO2 when you say that with general twin studies, it is difficult to distinguish effects from heredity and environment so adoption studies are used to separate these effects.
How's revision going guys? :smile:
Reply 685
Hey.
For Biological rhythms/sleep I wanted to ask what explanations for Insomnia people doing this topic have used.
In my essay I've talked about Chronic insomnia as one explanation and also included primary/secondary explanations but not sure if both should be included.
That sounds like a good way to revise, would u be able to send it to me please :biggrin: Thanks so much!

Can i have it too please ? :smile:
Does anyone have predictions for Schizophrenia?
Original post by geeee11
Does anyone have predictions for Schizophrenia?

i'm guessing its gunna be 'discuss issues associated with the classification and diagnosis of schizophrenia'
Original post by Cutiepatootie175
what are your revisio
n techniques?

A4 notes with a highlight colour code key (green for research, pink for subtopic etc) - condensed into mind maps on my IPad (detailed mind maps), then condensed further into flash cards for me to keep repeating. Then finally past paper questions - as many as I can do until I feel confident that my memory is strong. I believe mind maps work the best for psychology. Detailed mind maps allow me to memorise each spread of the textbook for each topic along with the researchers names. I scored 100 UMS in PSYA1/2 last year - and I believe it was down to mind maps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

Can anyone offer some enlightenment on how to apply content to essays?
- Basically our teacher has helped us condense the content of our exams down into a revision folder, but I'm now wondering how to apply the content to essays.

For example on Media Psychology, we've got 5 psychological explanations of media influence on anti-social behaviour, but when you have a question like Discuss psychological explanations of media influence on anti-social behaviour' .. How would you apply the content, what structure do you follow?

Also can someone please explain the different essay questions,
So like discuss, outline and evaluate e.c.t

Can someone elaborate on all of those and explain what they mean and how you should do the question?

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Josh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 691
Original post by JRHewett
Hello,

Can anyone offer some enlightenment on how to apply content to essays?
- Basically our teacher has helped us condense the content of our exams down into a revision folder, but I'm now wondering how to apply the content to essays.

For example on Media Psychology, we've got 5 psychological explanations of media influence on anti-social behaviour, but when you have a question like Discuss psychological explanations of media influence on anti-social behaviour' .. How would you apply the content, what structure do you follow?

Also can someone please explain the different essay questions,
So like discuss, outline and evaluate e.c.t

Can someone elaborate on all of those and explain what they mean and how you should do the question?

Thanks a bunch in advance,
Josh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

your teacher should have model answers for media psychology, it's a bit difficult to explain but looking at model answer helps. ask her for those and also have a look at the exam companion there are good answers in there.

outline and evaluate = theory and evaluate
discuss research into .. = focus is on research support/against
(edited 9 years ago)
That sounds like a good way to revise, would u be able to send it to me please :biggrin: Thanks so much!

Unfortunately I don't have the list anymore :frown: If you really wanted you could go through all the past papers and make your own list though :biggrin:
Hi everyone long time lurker here decided to make an account so I can ask all you knowledgeable folk some questions and help any of you out if you need it. For PSYA3 I am doing Relationships, Biological rhythms and Eating behaviour and PSYA4 OCD, Media and RM

In the spec, for Relationships, it claims you need to know 'the influence of culture on romantic relationships AND the influence of childhood on adult relationships'--my teacher told me that the influence of childhood has been removed from the spec, is he wrong? Should I be learning and revising the influence of childhood?
Original post by Archie Fisher
Hi everyone long time lurker here decided to make an account so I can ask all you knowledgeable folk some questions and help any of you out if you need it. For PSYA3 I am doing Relationships, Biological rhythms and Eating behaviour and PSYA4 OCD, Media and RM

In the spec, for Relationships, it claims you need to know 'the influence of culture on romantic relationships AND the influence of childhood on adult relationships'--my teacher told me that the influence of childhood has been removed from the spec, is he wrong? Should I be learning and revising the influence of childhood?

Hiya! Omg I haven't heard about this! I wouldn't risk it if I were you...I've learnt it myself, if it had been removed I'm sure we all would have heard about it and the spec would have been updated...

How are you finding revising for media?
Reply 695
I'm studying relationships, eating and sleep
Is anyone else struggling with the eating topic? My notes are not helping!
Original post by mmm9

What do you need help with I've done all essays for eating behaviour, aggression and relationships
Hiya! Omg I haven't heard about this! I wouldn't risk it if I were you...I've learnt it myself, if it had been removed I'm sure we all would have heard about it and the spec would have been updated...

How are you finding revising for media?

Thanks, I'll have to speak to my teacher when we get back. I find media quite easy as I already study it in Sociology, so there is a lot of crossover with names and such (Bandura, Buckingham, Noble etc...) and I think its generally interesting, that makes it easier as there's nothing worse than revising something that is just plain boring

Original post by mmm9

Eating is a bit weird. What exactly are you struggling with? Factors influencing attitudes to food and eating behaviour? The success/failure of dieting...?
Oooh risky stuffs! You should be alright though. Also check out loopa psychology closer the time, the predictions for the exams will come up on there and they have been right a lot of the time :smile:

Yeah hopefully and I love Loopa! :-) But theres way too much on his essays and too much content omg help
Original post by Archie Fisher
Thanks, I'll have to speak to my teacher when we get back. I find media quite easy as I already study it in Sociology, so there is a lot of crossover with names and such (Bandura, Buckingham, Noble etc...) and I think its generally interesting, that makes it easier as there's nothing worse than revising something that is just plain boring

Eating is a bit weird. What exactly are you struggling with? Factors influencing attitudes to food and eating behaviour? The success/failure of dieting...?

I think out of all of them, I've found eating to be the easiest but what simplified it for me was just learning model essays and simplifying it down to like 2 or 3 bullet points per paragraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending