The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Jo890
Attachment not found
This one and thanks I'll have a look :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

doesn't allow me to see the attachment what book is it called? and no problem :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 781
Original post by kyoti
doesn't allow me to see the attachment what book is it called? and no problem :smile:

Oxford the complete student companion book 3rd edition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Original post by Jo890
Oxford the complete student companion book 3rd edition

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's the new book has recent studies so definitely worth using alongside your teachers notes and finding new studies online!
Reply 783
Original post by kyoti
that's the new book has recent studies so definitely worth using alongside your teachers notes and finding new studies online!

Thank god for that!! Do examiners accept new studies then, there's not a set list of researchers or anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Original post by Jo890
Thank god for that!! Do examiners accept new studies then, there's not a set list of researchers or anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course have about one or two recent ones in your essays if you can find them online as long as you explain them well relate the findings to the theory then it's all fine. Any studies they've not seen before they will look it up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by smozsolution
I'll do it on here so others can benefit too :smile:

AO3 IDA/MAID:

Methodological Issues
Validity is a big one here - external (population validity (age/gender/occupation of participants) and ecological validity (is it like real life?) are two main ones) and internal validity (has there been any demand characteristics or a participants fault memory? If so, this may be because you've used a self report technique such as a survey or questionnaire)

Approaches
Biological, Behavioural, Psychodynamic, Cognitive - which one is your theory most like? Why is it this and not another one? Does focusing on one theory make it reductionist or deterministic (and so you bring in a debate)? The Biological Approach is often a commone offender of these two!

Issues
Gender Bias - are the findings women dominated (gynocentric) or male dominated (androcentric)? If so, they can't be generalised to the other gender as we may not know if they'll behave in a similar way!
Cultural Bias - where has the study been done? If it's somewhere like America, a Western, individualistic society then can it be generalised to Israel, a non-Western collectivist society.
Ethical Issues - look at some common ethics to follow like informed consent, deception, right to confidentiality, privacy, protection from harm and stress and confidentiality. Do any of your studies used have any of these ethical issues present?
Use of Animals - for this one, my teachers say it's better to argue that animals are different from humans so we may not be able to fully extrapolate the data from an animal study to human behaviour. While you can argue that there are some similarities, you could also argue the differences too. If you want to add a bit extra, you could finish off this AO3 point by saying "however the ends justify the means of using animals, as it furthers our understanding of human behaviour as some studies are unethical to undertake on humans (e.g manipulating aggression and observing the outcome)

Debates
Reductionism - if it has only focused on one factor and reduced it down to its simplistic form of say, biology for example, then it fails to consider other approaches such as behaviour or cognitive. This means it goes against a holistic (whole - looks at lots of difference factors) approach
Determinism - does one factor determine our behaviour and completely ignore the fact that we humans have free will to change our behaviour?
Nature/Nurture - is it an internal, innate thing that we do not learn or is it external and is learnt from our environment (such as our experiences)? Or maybe, is it a combination of both nature and nurture in a form of interactionism?

Real World Application
Has this theory been shown to be evident in the real world? For instance, for Bandura's Social Learning Theory, the researcher Philips found that in the week after a boxing match US homicide rates increased. You could argue that SLT has a real world application of applying to adults who observed the boxers (the models) and imitated their actions.

Positive/Negative Implications
Positive - can this research be used to develop something else? For example, research into depression treatment. Can this be used to further improve how depression is treated in diagnosed patients. If therapy has shown to be effective in treating the causes and drugs the symptoms of depression, can a combination be used to effectively treat depression?
Negative - has this theory/research got negative implications for humans? It could, for instance, remove blame from a patient suffering from AN because it says it's not their fault and is just a result of their biology (e.g their neurotransmitters like serotonin) having an effect.

This is all I can think of at the moment and I'm sorry if my examples aren't related to what you're studying but I hope this helps with AO3 points and has shed some light on some common points you can make.

This is brilliant! Thank you for sharing this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a maximum of A03 marks to gain? For example can our evaluation make up 90% of A03 marks or is there a set limit on the mark scheme? (Not like I will be evaluating all A03, but A03 is easy marks!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also - does anyone have the June 2914 questions for: Sleep, Relationships and Eating? This info would be so helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
whats the best way of revising research methods for PSYA4 , do you think its too early to do past papers
Original post by Walkeer_1
Also - does anyone have the June 2914 questions for: Sleep, Relationships and Eating? This info would be so helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For eating it was: Discuss evolutionary explanations of food preference (8+16 marks)
Relationships: Discuss sex differences in parental investment (8+16 marks)
Sleep: Outline lifespan changes in sleep (4 marks)
Outline and evaluate one or more restoration explanations for the functions of sleep (4+16 marks)

All the past questions are here: http://www.loopa.co.uk/aqa-psychology-level-past-questions-psya3/
Original post by Walkeer_1
This is brilliant! Thank you for sharing this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad I could help :smile:

Original post by Audiology-Med
whats the best way of revising research methods for PSYA4 , do you think its too early to do past papers

I'd say make notes/mindmaps/flashcards on the research methods content and then attempt the past papers. That way, you can find out your strongest points and weakest points and focus your revision towards what needs improving :smile:
Reply 791
Hi guys, I did AQA Psychology A last year, and I got an A* - 82 UMS in PSYA3 and 100 UMS in PSYA4. The topics I did were relationships, biological rhythms & sleep, perception (PSYA3) and schizophrenia and media psychology (PSYA4). So, if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask me!!!
Original post by Vitzy
Hi guys, I did AQA Psychology A last year, and I got an A* - 82 UMS in PSYA3 and 100 UMS in PSYA4. The topics I did were relationships, biological rhythms & sleep, perception (PSYA3) and schizophrenia and media psychology (PSYA4). So, if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask me!!!
For the schizophrenia specification of unit 4 AQA A2 A psychology , one of the learning outcomes is biological explanations of schizophrenia, for example, genetics and biochemistry. Since it is one learning outcome, does this mean that they can't ask separate 24 mark questions on genetics and biochemistry and that we have to talk about both genetics and biochemistry in the essay. I'm a bit confused because if in the exam, they ask to us to discuss one biological explanation of schizophrenia for 24 marks, it wouldn't be possible to talk about biochemistry for 8 marks for A01 or would this type of question be only for 12 marks?
Also is it possible to get A* at A level if you got a B at AS level - (one ums off A)
Original post by Vitzy

Don't you have get 90 UMS in both exams for an A* - or is it UMS altogether? I'm confused.
Original post by neonlights!
For eating it was: Discuss evolutionary explanations of food preference (8+16 marks)
Relationships: Discuss sex differences in parental investment (8+16 marks)
Sleep: Outline lifespan changes in sleep (4 marks)
Outline and evaluate one or more restoration explanations for the functions of sleep (4+16 marks)

All the past questions are here: http://www.loopa.co.uk/aqa-psychology-level-past-questions-psya3/

Thank you ver much for sharing the link I found it very helpful!
This is probably a really stupid question, but if I was to condense my essays into one cue card each, what should I include? Like would I just split it down to A01 and write a few key points and then for A02 write theorist names and include some IDA's???
Also is anyone else struggling with addiction? I'm currently learning it at school and I have no idea how to make my notes for it.
Reply 796
Original post by missEA
For the schizophrenia specification of unit 4 AQA A2 A psychology , one of the learning outcomes is biological explanations of schizophrenia, for example, genetics and biochemistry. Since it is one learning outcome, does this mean that they can't ask separate 24 mark questions on genetics and biochemistry and that we have to talk about both genetics and biochemistry in the essay. I'm a bit confused because if in the exam, they ask to us to discuss one biological explanation of schizophrenia for 24 marks, it wouldn't be possible to talk about biochemistry for 8 marks for A01 or would this type of question be only for 12 marks?
Also is it possible to get A* at A level if you got a B at AS level - (one ums off A)

They could ask directly about either genetics or biochemistry I think, since they are named in the specification, but I doubt highly it would be just one for 24 marks.
Yes it's possible to get an A* - you only need enough UMS for an A (320) and then 90% ums at A2 (190/200) at A2. So you could get a C at AS and still get an A* overall.

Original post by emzyyyyy
Don't you have get 90 UMS in both exams for an A* - or is it UMS altogether? I'm confused.

It's UMS altogether - so you can get 80 in one and 100 in the other. I was 2 marks over the A* threshhold cause I got 82 and 100. :P

Picture proof to put your mind at ease: http://i.imgur.com/LVNPyWM.png & http://i.imgur.com/OlFm6gF.png
Hey Guys,

Any easy ways to learn essays? :/ :frown:
Reply 798
Original post by Vitzy

How did you revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitzy

I'm doing Bio Rhythms and Sleep and I'm finding that subject horrible, especially Infradian and Ultradian rhythms. I wouldn't think I can get 1/2 the marks if I were to get an essay on them. Got any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending