The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beckysoya
Yeh I'm doing the same as you for PSYA4. For PSYa3, I'm doing Relationship, Agression and Gender. Wbu? :smile:

I'm doing relationships, eating disorders and something else that I've forgotten :')
Original post by Cara_rose
Looking at examiner's comments for past papers is always really useful for this kind of thing. If they mention that a question was generally poorly answered they are likely to ask that question again to determine whether teaching has improved since last year.

Oh really? Thank you for the advice!
Anyone studying aggression for PSYA3 -
on the neural and hormonal influences essay, does serotonin count for neural or hormonal?

Because different text books say different things and I can't find anything about it on the examiners comments..
I've used it as neural as it is a neurotransmitter but some textbooks use it as a hormone
Original post by rosieatack
on the neural and hormonal influences essay, does serotonin count for neural or hormonal?

Because different text books say different things and I can't find anything about it on the examiners comments..
I've used it as neural as it is a neurotransmitter but some textbooks use it as a hormone

serotonin noun Biochemistry
a compound present in blood platelets and serum, which constricts the blood vessels and acts as a neurotransmitter.

Just a quick look up of serotonin on google and found that. I think neurotransmitter should be the right answer, but don't quote me.
Reply 84
Original post by rosieatack

serotonin counts for neural i also used amgdala and for hormonal i used testosterone and cortisol.
Can someone link me an a* essay answer for psya3 for me please. I just need one example
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
serotonin noun Biochemistry
a compound present in blood platelets and serum, which constricts the blood vessels and acts as a neurotransmitter.

Just a quick look up of serotonin on google and found that. I think neurotransmitter should be the right answer, but don't quote me.

Ah okay thankyou! That's what I had thought was just confused by the textbooks thankyou
Original post by ko111
serotonin counts for neural i also used amgdala and for hormonal i used testosterone and cortisol.

Oh okay great thankyou! Do you think it's best to use more than one for each? Just because I know I will struggle to write more than about 800 words per essay in the exam I'm unsure how much I need to put in.. Is it better to do 2 in more detail or 4 in less? Thanks
This is just my own personal way of working, but I tend to type up my notes, then write out key studies, very key points etc on flashcards, and also right out basic evaluate points on mindmaps to put around my room.

The more times you have to read over and manipulate the same information into different formats the better, as it'll help you remember the details.

I'm thinking about typing up notes and also flash cards, but it'll take up a lot of time, and could cause gaps in work. I was thinking of making a topic checklist sort of thing, to make sure that I don't miss anything out.
Original post by Tylerrrrr
I'm thinking about typing up notes and also flash cards, but it'll take up a lot of time, and could cause gaps in work. I was thinking of making a topic checklist sort of thing, to make sure that I don't miss anything out.

Revision guides are useful in the sense that they summarise the content that you need to know, and have headings to indicate exactly what you are reading about. These headings will act as a checklist.

Alternatively, you could consider the possible essay questions that you are likely to receive, and simply learn in conjunction with these exam questions. There are only a restricted number of questions that can be asked for each topic, so making sure you have the details to answer each of these sufficiently will assure you that you have got all the notes you need.
Revision guides are useful in the sense that they summarise the content that you need to know, and have headings to indicate exactly what you are reading about. These headings will act as a checklist.

Alternatively, you could consider the possible essay questions that you are likely to receive, and simply learn in conjunction with these exam questions. There are only a restricted number of questions that can be asked for each topic, so making sure you have the details to answer each of these sufficiently will assure you that you have got all the notes you need.

Yea I think that just practising essays, and getting them marked may be the best way to construct 'model answers'. I'm just not sure about whether I should put everything on flash cards due to how much content there is :/

I know you did very well, but what do you think of saj devish's notes(loopa ones). Do you think learning them is good enough for at least an A, if not A*. Not including Research methods which are learnt properly and practised...

I don't know whether to make my own essays or just learn his.
I know you did very well, but what do you think of saj devish's notes(loopa ones). Do you think learning them is good enough for at least an A, if not A*. Not including Research methods which are learnt properly and practised...

Are you doing anything in addition to this?

Just wondering :tongue:
Are you doing anything in addition to this?

Just wondering :tongue:

Na. I just wanted to see her opinion as she did great @ AS and will probably do great again lol. I do take some from his essays but add to my own ones.

What about you? I have a feeling many people will do this.

Hey Knight,

Saj here (from loopa).

Just to clarify I never suggest students simply learn my essays and replicate them exactly - they are meant to be a guide and source material for people to make their own essays. My ebooks are meant to be an easier way for students to source theory (A01) and evaluation points (A02/A03) + issues debates and approaches. They are not meant to be copied word for word (although yes many students did do this in June 2014 and achieved well without AQA causing a fuss)

When the exams get near there will be many who will just copy my essays word for word due to lack of time and preparation - that's risky when you may have loads of other students doing the exact same thing:

Therefore I always say its best to reword my essays into your own words and use them as a guide so you know what A* essays look like and can then create your own.

When you create your own you also process them deeper into your memory too and recalling them becomes easier this way too.

Hope this helps,

Saj
(edited 9 years ago)
Atm I've been making flash cards, and I'm contemplating whether to type up notes too, but I'm not sure if its worth it. I need to start practising essays asap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mephestic
Hey Knight,

Saj here (from loopa).

Just to clarify I never suggest students simply learn my essays and replicate them exactly - they are meant to be a guide and source material for people to make their own essays. My ebooks are meant to be an easier way for students to source theory (A01) and evaluation points (A02/A03) + issues debates and approaches. They are not meant to be copied word for word (although yes many students did do this in June 2014 and achieved well without AQA causing a fuss)

When the exams get near there will be many who will just copy my essays word for word due to lack of time and preparation - that's risky when you may have loads of other students doing the exact same thing:

Therefore I always say its best to reword my essays into your own words and use them as a guide so you know what A* essays look like and can then create your own.

When you create your own you also process them deeper into your memory too and recalling them becomes easier this way too.

Hope this helps,

Saj

Yeah I knew you were Saj lol.

Thanks buddy, I am using your ebook mixed reworded with my own notes to try and get the best of it. Thanks very much for clarifying this issue though.

Good luck on the new 2015 spec(if it's already released yet). :biggrin:
Atm I've been making flash cards, and I'm contemplating whether to type up notes too, but I'm not sure if its worth it. I need to start practising essays asap

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have done pretty much all the unit 4 essays. Going to do ALL of them again though. I aquired a new book with more info. Also I want these to be completely perfect and get my teacher to mark everyone. :biggrin:.

I have yet to start memorising them though, I will begin that shortly, due to the mocks happening soon.
What method you gonna use to memorise? I think flash cards are fine but there will be a lot of them haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I knew you were Saj lol.

Thanks buddy, I am using your ebook mixed reworded with my own notes to try and get the best of it. Thanks very much for clarifying this issue though.

Good luck on the new 2015 spec(if it's already released yet). :biggrin:

Happy to help :smile:

The new spec has been released if your curious, Not massive changes for AS but A2 is having a big overhaul! Many topics have been dropped too but thankfully these changes don't come into effect for a fair while yet (AS changes in 2016 and A2 in 2017).

So students studying right now are fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending