The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
For Media and SZ, I've got all the acronyms set up and just read at least one page everyday. The AO1 is fine, but need to work on AO2. The acronyms/names triggers the studies easily. Unit 3 I started months ago so there's no need for acronyms haha as I can remember the names.

At least we have one month. Next week is AS XD, 1 month is enough to get everything donee

Yeahh, maybe I should just work on trying to remember the acronyms. Yeah I started unit 3 and 4 months ago too so I dno what's wrong with me lol!

Yeah but tbh the extra time is needed, AS was a breeze, although I thought it was a lot at the time, I had no idea what was coming! :tongue:
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
Yeahh, maybe I should just work on trying to remember the acronyms. Yeah I started unit 3 and 4 months ago too so I dno what's wrong with me lol!

Yeah but tbh the extra time is needed, AS was a breeze, although I thought it was a lot at the time, I had no idea what was coming! :tongue:

hahaha yeh i started unit 4 a month ago-ish but still its okay whereas unit 3 i started 3 months ago lol
hahaha yeh i started unit 4 a month ago-ish but still its okay whereas unit 3 i started 3 months ago lol

Yeah, so did I. I dunno how people can be starting now! But hey if they can do it, why not xD personally that would scare the s**t out of me.
I haven't started memorising yet.... ah

Currently writing up psychological therapies for schizophrenia, really hope this doesn't come up because i'm hating it the most out of all the topics:frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gazzaaa
True say bro.

lol a tory that supports gaza or or do u mean it as in geazer
Original post by tweety97
I guess you can write more for One but the other explanation cant be too brief. Its better to balance it out. You need 2 IDA points per whole essay

Original post by Emily.97
When you say evaluation of it, do you mean to include that in the a01 description part of the answer? You can do that, but you need to make sure that they don't mistake it for evaluation(eg include it in the same paragraph when outlining the theory). If it's just a 4 marker there may be no need to include anything other than outlining the theory- then you can use that research for the evaluation.

"Or does it have 50/50 between the two theories/evaluations?" - That depends on how many marks they want. I follow the guideline of:
8 marks evaluation- 4 points.
16 marks- 8 points.
4 marks description just needs to be brief. So what you could manage in 5 minutes. And 8 marks description would be a bit more detail in 10 minutes. I'd really advise you to time yourself doing the relevant marks for the relevant amount of time. Based on my exam practice I need to be constantly writing to cover all of the detail required for each question.

I'm not sure about your question on 2 ao3's- are you referring to IDA's there? In which case I think 1 or two for an evaluation would be enough.

EDIT: I've just realised that I've completely misread your question- I'm so sorry. I thought I'd still keep my answer there cause it may help somewhat. But if they ask for two theories it's important to get the balance right, yes.

Thanks guys. But some theories such as equity theory are short anyway so i can't really do anything about that :smile:
Original post by daisychain_
Thanks guys. But some theories such as equity theory are short anyway so i can't really do anything about that :smile:

I still think you can get a good degree of elaboration from the equity theory to cover 8 marks. You just have to present it in more simplified terms for 4 marks.
Original post by beautyviews
I haven't started memorising yet.... ah

Currently writing up psychological therapies for schizophrenia, really hope this doesn't come up because i'm hating it the most out of all the topics:frown:

Why don't you like it?
How are you guys remembering researchers names?

I was thinking of trying acronyms but it's bad enough memorising the essays as well as the acronyms...

I dont like to do techniques that complicate everything, so literally just repetition. Some names (eg foreign ones) take me longer to properly retain, but I think I'm past that stage now.
Original post by TonySoprano96
lol a tory that supports gaza or or do u mean it as in geazer

My way of saying Gary
Original post by Gazzaaa
My way of saying Gary

u bloody tory gary!!!
Is a good revision technique writing out every essay and memorising them? How long will it take to memorise like 30 essays for PSYA3? and whats a good way to memorise them, just writing them out over and over again?
[QUOTE=Rosie:)[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];55605643]Is a good revision technique writing out every essay and memorising them? How long will it take to memorise like 30 essays for PSYA3? and whats a good way to memorise them, just writing them out over and over again?
Write out the studies you will cite in your essay, those that support and criticise, and the AO1 you will cover -- memorise this.

Here's one of mine for biological rhythms (narcolepsy):

Spoiler

Original post by Emily.97
I dont like to do techniques that complicate everything, so literally just repetition. Some names (eg foreign ones) take me longer to properly retain, but I think I'm past that stage now.

Thank you! I think I'm just gonna do this :smile: should stick in my head by the time exams come round.
Original post by Archie Fisher
Write out the studies you will cite in your essay, those that support and criticise, and the AO1 you will cover -- memorise this.

Here's one of mine for biological rhythms (narcolepsy):

Spoiler

Haha this is literally the same as my narcolepsy essay! Hahha thankyou x
Guys my friend got around 67 for Unit 1 and 70 on the dot for unit 2
So overall it was a C and I think that means he was 3 ums away from an overall B at AS.

He just wants a B overall so if he gets 2 low B's in both unit 3 and 4 will he get a B overall? I tried to calculate it and that's what I got, but I don't know exactly how it works...
Guys my friend got around 67 for Unit 1 and 70 on the dot for unit 2
So overall it was a C and I think that means he was 3 ums away from an overall B at AS.

He just wants a B overall so if he gets 2 low B's in both unit 3 and 4 will he get a B overall? I tried to calculate it and that's what I got, but I don't know exactly how it works...

Yeah that's correct! 143 UMS, so would indeed work out as two low Bs
I know I'm a little worried about learning the names of studies, does anyone have any tips?

I know they're not necessary to get a good grade, but they do make your essay sound a lot more coherent
How are you guys remembering researchers names?

I was thinking of trying acronyms but it's bad enough memorising the essays as well as the acronyms...

I'm worried about this too, acronyms just don't seem to work for me..
I find that it's best to just learn the names alongside the studies because acronyms would end up being an unnecessary hassle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending