The Student Room Group

Freshers, how many times have you been home since you have started?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chris22
Apart from where you said "wtf is wrong with you?"

Dude I don't give a **** 28 people pos repped me and by the time you quote me more ppl would have possed repped me...wtf is wrong with the op and you..
My mum got a job abroad so I won't be going home at all during term time any more. When we lived in our house here (London), I used to go home every 3-4 weeks but now that we don't live there any more, I'll hardly end up going very much. But home is where the heart is and I love London immensely so I'm still gonna try to find ways to go every few weeks if I can, and stay with family/friends. I'm actually going this weekend for a wedding but after that, it could be ages before I go again! :s-smilie: Until then, my new home for the holidays is beautiful and I can't wait to go at Christmas! :smile:
Stop giving this guy attention, ffs.
0. £145 train journey. 5hrs 46mins journey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Why the hell would you spend all that money on travelling home when you have books, alcohol and food to buy. Especially when the use of skype is totally free?
Reply 105
Original post by bittr n swt
And I care what some random guy thinks because?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because that "random guy" may have a valid point, whoever it is and whatever they are arguing for. Don't dismiss someone's argument because you don't know them, that just doesn't make sense. And if you are going to, don't then join an internet forum where you don't know people!

LavenderBlueSky seemed to put a similar point across as you, but more developed with legitimate reasons gained from experience, and without causing any disrespect towards anyone. If you disagree with someone, you don't have to be disrespectful to them.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I'm obviously not a fresher haha. But in my very first year I went home for the weekend after a month... I don't think it's wise to get into the habit of going home every weekend as not only do you miss out, you become dependent on it and it takes longer to settle.

Second time round I don't remember going home at all in the first term, in fact I didn't even ring my mum until 2 weeks in...!

EDIT: Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm indifferent to this entire thing. Go home of you want, stay at uni if you want, it's your choice. Just don't be rude to someone because they disagree.
(edited 9 years ago)
I can't say that I've really had the opportunity to go home every weekend as both times that I've been at uni, I've been more than 2 hours drive from home and the first time I had no car. Also it'd cost £50+ in fuel to do that.

I'm quite independent anyway, so I'm more than happy to only go home for a few days over holiday breaks. >_< I visit a lot of friends and family 'up country' too though, I'm less than two hours from my gran who I've only seen a handful of times in my life and have friends all over the country. :biggrin:

I can understand why people do go home if they live close enough to travel every weekend and for it not to be a ball ache but I do think that at uni you should get used to being independent and not having the luxury of living at home. It's taught me to live by myself and live on a low-ish income.
I am shocked by the responses on this thread.I would have thought it would have consisted of either I go home every day(i.e living at home for university) or I won't go home till the end of term(i.e living away from home for university) because I thought the travel costs would make it too expensive to make several trips back home along with all the time wasting and surely it would be a huge bother to do that every week.I am very likely going to move away for university and I will only return home after each term.If you do that you will still end up seeing your family about 20 weeks a year is that not enough?
I go home usually once in a month and this is all because of my job :frown:
Original post by bittr n swt
Dude I don't give a **** 28 people pos repped me and by the time you quote me more ppl would have possed repped me...wtf is wrong with the op and you..

Just pointing out an little inaccuracy in your post. I'm sure someone who thinks so much of themselves would hate to be incorrect. I must also take this opportunity to congratulate you on your "pos rep", it must really make you sleep easy at night.

And I never actually said I thought you wrong...
Original post by Chris22
Just pointing out an little inaccuracy in your post. I'm sure someone who thinks so much of themselves would hate to be incorrect. I must also take this opportunity to congratulate you on your "pos rep", it must really make you sleep easy at night.

And I never actually said I thought you wrong...

Yeah I sleep like a baby
I absolutely love uni but have already been back to my local area (not necessarily home, just nights out/work etc) twice :smile: If my boyfriend wasn't there I wouldn't go so often, but it's not very far and I can afford it so might aswell sometimes.
My parents visited on the 28th and then I went home on the 10th for my dad's birthday.

I'm not going back home until November 7th. :smile:
Original post by Dalek1099
I am shocked by the responses on this thread.I would have thought it would have consisted of either I go home every day(i.e living at home for university) or I won't go home till the end of term(i.e living away from home for university) because I thought the travel costs would make it too expensive to make several trips back home along with all the time wasting and surely it would be a huge bother to do that every week.I am very likely going to move away for university and I will only return home after each term.If you do that you will still end up seeing your family about 20 weeks a year is that not enough?

Re travel costs - well, I'm pretty far (3 hour trip) and a return ticket with railcard costs £40, but it's a non-issue really as my parents have the money and don't want it to be an impediment to them seeing me. Some people's are a lot cheaper though.
Time wasted - I take my laptop and watch my downloaded lectures or downloaded TV shows depending on what sort of mood I'm in. So the only real time wasted is getting from my place to the station, ie a 20 minute walk or 5 min taxi.
It's not just total amount of time, it's also regularity.
Original post by moment of truth
I have been home 3 out of 4 weekends so far.

What about you? :biggrin:

I've not been home yet and won't be doing until mid-November. I speak to my parents regularly and I find that completely sufficient! I'm quite an independent person and I travelled in my gap year so I suppose that could be why.
Reply 115
I started university on the sixth of September, but I've not been home yet. My parents knew it'd be hard for me to visit, as I work weekends. We've talked about once a week on the phone though! Xx
every weekend.

I hate it here.

Only reason i go though is cause my mom makes me look after my brother.
Original post by joker12345
Re travel costs - well, I'm pretty far (3 hour trip) and a return ticket with railcard costs £40, but it's a non-issue really as my parents have the money and don't want it to be an impediment to them seeing me. Some people's are a lot cheaper though.
Time wasted - I take my laptop and watch my downloaded lectures or downloaded TV shows depending on what sort of mood I'm in. So the only real time wasted is getting from my place to the station, ie a 20 minute walk or 5 min taxi.
It's not just total amount of time, it's also regularity.

You forgot to include the cost of the railcard.I went on a summer school to the university I plan to go to and they paid the trainfares and they were over £100.I wouldn't want to take my laptop too and from home and university because its too valuable and lets not also forget that a lot of people leave for university because they want to get away from their parents from what I've heard.£40 is a lot of money anyway if you keep on travelling every week and most people don't have really rich parents.
(edited 9 years ago)
I understand people want to see their families but you've spent 18/19 years seeing your families. I'd hate to miss weekends at uni, it's when we all sit around and watch films together and actually make friends sober.
Original post by Dalek1099
You forgot to include the cost of the railcard.I went on a summer school to the university I plan to go to and they paid the trainfares and they were over £100.I wouldn't want to take my laptop too and from home and university because its too valuable and lets not also forget that a lot of people leave for university because they want to get away from their parents from what I've heard.£40 is a lot of money anyway if you keep on travelling every week and most people don't have really rich parents.

That's because I got a free one with my Santander student account :P
I don't see why it going valuable is a problem - just get a case. It really isn't an issue - it's just really convenient to have as I don't waste the time!
Yeah, the people who come back lots probably aren't the ones who want to get away!
I know that, and I'm lucky that the money isn't an issue for them. I was just answering how it's possible for some people - I have friends who's parents pay their train fares for them and tell them to come, so I guess it's easier for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending