The Student Room Group

More of Cupcake's Maths and Madness

More of Cupcake's Maths and Madness
A first year grow your grades blog
This is my second GYG blog, this is last year's blog if anyone fancies a read through my last year of school.

About Me
I am 18 and I am about to be a first year studying mathematics and computer science (with an industrial year) at the University of Birmingham.

I play the clarinet (I have a grade 8 distinction in musical performance) and I have enjoyed being a member of various bands and ensembles over the last few years, which is something I am definitely planning to continue while at uni.

I am also an active member of Girlguiding, as a Guide leader, and I will be looking for a unit to help out with when I get to uni. I am also doing my Queen's Guide Award. Through Girlguiding I have done a variety of exciting things and I am hoping to join SSAGO and get involved with many more.

I also enjoy cycling, baking and I love sloths.

My Academic History

Spoiler

Contents
I've moved in to uni!
Freshers Flu and Starting my Course
Exam Results!!!

Tags:

Spoiler

(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How is uni planning going? I get the feeling I'm going to leave everything for the last minute and forget stuff
It is less than 4 weeks until I move in to university :eek: and I am quite nervous but also very excited. I have sorted out my accommodation which is reassuring, and I have filled out my registration form, but I still have lots of things to do (I probably haven't even covered it all on my list).

Pre-Uni Checklist:

set up a student bank account

go shopping for important uni essentials

sort out some sort of budget

pack everything

find flatmates on social media (this is important as the flat doesn't have a kettle or toaster and I don't want to end up in that flat which has 5 kettles :lol:)

say goodbye to my friends :cry2: - some of them move away even earlier than me!

drill the importance of keeping the cute bathroom plants alive into my sisters so I don't come home to crispy succulents at Christmas

order some photos from Freeprints

I have made a fat list of all the things I need to take and started collecting some bits together.

Spoiler

Tomorrow I am going to my Nana's house and she wants to take me shopping for some bits, and she said she has some kitchen things that she doesn't need that I can have (as the 1st grandchild to go to uni I get first dibs on everything :smile:) so that will be good to do before I go shopping with my mum and dad.

Tags:

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
You seem very organised :biggrin: I'm sure you'll get through that list in no time, and it's very satisfying when you suddenly realise you're all sorted and ready to go!

Birmingham accommodation group chats were pretty active a few years ago when I went, so hopefully you can track down at least a few flatmates early. I was lucky to find all of mine, although I don't think we were as prepared as you! Nobody brought a kettle or toaster, so we just trekked along the canal to the big Sainsbury's to buy them once we were all moved in (which is also a good backup option if you don't end up managing to sort that in advance, since you don't need to pack them either way :smile:)
My son found those fold-down crates useful to transport stuff - one doubled as dirty washing bin and the others just folded away until the end of year.

I love those mugs - very cool :smile:

Enjoy geting those bits and pieces together and do check if any items [e.g. fairy lights] aren't allowed in halls.
It's now only 3 weeks until I go to uni (yes the official countdown has begun :biggrin:) so I've been busy buying lots of random things. I need to get on with sorting through the stuff in my bedroom because I have to decide what actually needs to come with me and what can be left at home. As you can see, the checklist is going well.

Pre-Uni Checklist:

sort out some sort of budget ~ I absolutely just downloaded the spreadsheet from Save the Student then filled in some of the relevant bits, but at least now I have a plan

pack everything

find flatmates on social media ~ I have found a couple of them

say goodbye to my friends - some of them move away even earlier than me!

drill the importance of keeping the cute bathroom plants alive into my sisters so I don't come home to crispy succulents at Christmas

order some photos from Freeprints ~ I have decided which photos I want to print, I just haven't actually ordered them yet

My day with my Nana was fabulous, she gave me lots of random bits and bobs and we also went to Sainsbury's and Poundland and she bought me a few more things. It was nice to spend the whole day with her and I also did lots of odd jobs for her such as fixing her emails and helping cut back a plant which was up very high.

I also went to IKEA with my family, I got things like a mattress topper and such. We had breakfast in the cafe and it only cost £10.50 for all 5 of us :eek: with the same good value and quality as always (my sister was disappointed she could not have chips and gravy, however it was only 10.30am). I also have some new bedding because I think I have probably outgrown my pink flowery bedding now.

Spoiler

The main thing I want to do now is organise a meetup with my friends. My mum has also given me a list of jobs (mostly cupboards to clean out) so that I don't spend the rest of my time at home floating around the house doing nothing.

Tags:

Spoiler

Sounds very organised!

Make sure you check the sort of weather likely in December around your university. I can remember people only bringing summer clothes and no coat or umbrella.

Grey is easy to live with and a splash of a colour will look classy :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Sounds very organised!

Make sure you check the sort of weather likely in December around your university. I can remember people only bringing summer clothes and no coat or umbrella.

Grey is easy to live with and a splash of a colour will look classy :smile:

No coat! :eek: I can barely leave the house without a coat because it's always raining. I am planning on taking my winter coat but I should also probably take a scarf and gloves because the weather is pretty similar to at home (just a bit less rainy).

I agree, grey is a great colour. Our bathroom is at home is all grey with random bits of orange, I have to say I definitely prefer my green stuff over orange.
12 days until I go to uni!

Pre-Uni Checklist:

pack everything ~ I've started but it is making me lose the will to live ngl, it's very boring

find flatmates on social media ~ I found a groupchat for my block of flats and have been chatting to some of the people in my flat

say goodbye to my friends ~ I have invited a load of people round this week as some of them move in at the weekend

order some photos from Freeprints ~ they arrived this week (I discovered it was only £2.99 delivery from Photobox rather than £3.99 at Freeprints, so I got them from there instead)

register with a GP

I have a pre uni maths course which I can do (it's optional) which is going to keep me busy over the next couple of weeks. I don't think I will do it all, just the more interesting bits.

Spoiler

My sisters went back to school today so I was woken up by their alarms at 6.15/6.30am which was fantastic. However I decided I should make good use of the morning since I was up so I planned my day and spent about an hour doing maths. This is today's plan:

Spoiler

I also go back to Guides this week (only for 2 weeks but oh well) and I will also be helping my mum out at Rainbows because she has alot of new girls starting and quite a few of them are 4 and have only just started school so it will be hard work.

Tags:

Spoiler

Original post by Cupcakes12
12 days until I go to uni!

Pre-Uni Checklist:

pack everything ~ I've started but it is making me lose the will to live ngl, it's very boring

find flatmates on social media ~ I found a groupchat for my block of flats and have been chatting to some of the people in my flat

say goodbye to my friends ~ I have invited a load of people round this week as some of them move in at the weekend

order some photos from Freeprints ~ they arrived this week (I discovered it was only £2.99 delivery from Photobox rather than £3.99 at Freeprints, so I got them from there instead)

register with a GP

I have a pre uni maths course which I can do (it's optional) which is going to keep me busy over the next couple of weeks. I don't think I will do it all, just the more interesting bits.

Spoiler

My sisters went back to school today so I was woken up by their alarms at 6.15/6.30am which was fantastic. However I decided I should make good use of the morning since I was up so I planned my day and spent about an hour doing maths. This is today's plan:

Spoiler

I also go back to Guides this week (only for 2 weeks but oh well) and I will also be helping my mum out at Rainbows because she has alot of new girls starting and quite a few of them are 4 and have only just started school so it will be hard work.

Tags:

Spoiler

Wow 12 days. That's less than 2 weeks now! You must be so excited. You are very organised with your preparations. Did you enjoy getting all your new stationery? I don't think I'll ever tire of stationary shopping. :giggle:

My daughter goes back to school on Wednesday, so getting up early for that should be fun.

Hope you can still take it easy for some of the time before you leave for uni. Exciting times!
Original post by Auntie_Autie2019
Wow 12 days. That's less than 2 weeks now! You must be so excited. You are very organised with your preparations. Did you enjoy getting all your new stationery? I don't think I'll ever tire of stationary shopping. :giggle:

My daughter goes back to school on Wednesday, so getting up early for that should be fun.

Hope you can still take it easy for some of the time before you leave for uni. Exciting times!

I love stationery shopping :colondollar: although I haven't needed to buy too much this year. My ranger leaders got me a box of nice things when I finished last summer which was really sweet of them.

Good luck to your daughter going back to school, and to you starting your second(?) year at uni!
I love stationery shopping :colondollar: although I haven't needed to buy too much this year. My ranger leaders got me a box of nice things when I finished last summer which was really sweet of them.

Good luck to your daughter going back to school, and to you starting your second(?) year at uni!

I've not done any stationary shopping for this academic year yet. But to be fair I have masses already and have just bought a brand new desk (and chair) to do uni work on. I've also invested in a few second hand textbooks, which are great value.

Thank you. She can't wait to go back. I will be reminding her of this when I drag her out of bed tomorrow morning. That is of course once I've got myself up. Ha ha. Yes I'm due to start my second year although already stressing over the lack of information with less than 3 weeks to go.
(edited 1 year ago)
6 days until I go to uni! I am feeling very nervous about it now.

Pre-Uni Checklist:

pack everything ~ I have been making progress, need to seriously get on with it at this point

find flatmates on social media

say goodbye to my friends

register with a GP

We had a great time when everyone came over, a few of us ended up crying. I also went to my last week of music centre yesterday, which is sad as it has been a big part of my life for the last 4 1/2 years. Afterwards, I went out for coffee with my friend (even though she came over on Tuesday as well lol) who is moving in today, and I really hope she settles in well.

I have a moderately busy week planned, mostly involves packing but I'm doing a few other things as well. I feel like the week is going to go agonisingly slowly as I just want to be at uni already.

The Queen's funeral is on the 19th, when I'm meant to be doing a load of freshers events and course induction sessions, so I don't know if any of it will be going ahead or not as I've had no information from the uni.

Tags:

Spoiler

It's quite normal to be nervous.

Have you made a list for packing? If so, tick off things as you pack them.

Are you taking any plants with you?

Hope you have a great week :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
It's quite normal to be nervous.

Have you made a list for packing? If so, tick off things as you pack them.

Are you taking any plants with you?

Hope you have a great week :smile:

I did have a packing list and I was ticking things off as I packed them, however I have since accumulated more stuff which was never on the list in the first place. I have also unpacked and attempted to repack some stuff so it's not all a jumbled mess when I arrive but it hasn't been going well. It doesn't help that my spatial awareness is not excellent so I can't tell if something is going to fit in a certain box until I try it which makes it a tedious process. I think I might have to check through everything again this week lol. I might revisit my list now and try and make a plan.

I do have some plants!!!

Spoiler

6 days until I go to uni! I am feeling very nervous about it now.

Pre-Uni Checklist:

pack everything ~ I have been making progress, need to seriously get on with it at this point

find flatmates on social media

say goodbye to my friends

register with a GP

We had a great time when everyone came over, a few of us ended up crying. I also went to my last week of music centre yesterday, which is sad as it has been a big part of my life for the last 4 1/2 years. Afterwards, I went out for coffee with my friend (even though she came over on Tuesday as well lol) who is moving in today, and I really hope she settles in well.

I have a moderately busy week planned, mostly involves packing but I'm doing a few other things as well. I feel like the week is going to go agonisingly slowly as I just want to be at uni already.

The Queen's funeral is on the 19th, when I'm meant to be doing a load of freshers events and course induction sessions, so I don't know if any of it will be going ahead or not as I've had no information from the uni.

Tags:

Spoiler

Ah so exciting! So is it this weekend you're moving in? You must be feeling such a mixture of excitement and apprehension. That's completely normal by the way. I expect lots of new students will be feeling exactly the same. I think not being nervous would be unexpected.

So have you got your new timetable yet or is it being held hostage like at my uni? 😂 We have induction and Freshers next week, although everything will be pretty much closed next Monday. Then it's all go from Tuesday. Teaching then starts on Monday 26th but I have absolutely no idea yet what I'll be doing. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow.

I hope you're enjoying the last few days at home before you go. 🙂
Original post by Auntie_Autie2019
Ah so exciting! So is it this weekend you're moving in? You must be feeling such a mixture of excitement and apprehension. That's completely normal by the way. I expect lots of new students will be feeling exactly the same. I think not being nervous would be unexpected.

So have you got your new timetable yet or is it being held hostage like at my uni? 😂 We have induction and Freshers next week, although everything will be pretty much closed next Monday. Then it's all go from Tuesday. Teaching then starts on Monday 26th but I have absolutely no idea yet what I'll be doing. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow.

I hope you're enjoying the last few days at home before you go. 🙂

I am soooo nervous. I really just want to fast forward the next few weeks so that I can just be settled into a new routine at uni and all the meeting new people is over with.

I don't have my timetable, pretty much everyone I know has theirs but a few other people on my course also don't. I've decided not to worry about it until freshers week and if I still don't have it by then I'll have to ask someone.

Everything that was on Monday has been cancelled, which was predictable. Alot of places will be shut so I guess it's a day for flat bonding? It will definitely be a weird day.

I have no more plans for this week so it's going to be a long couple of days of waiting and chilling (and of course packing). But I've had a great few days and said goodbye to a few more friends.
I am soooo nervous. I really just want to fast forward the next few weeks so that I can just be settled into a new routine at uni and all the meeting new people is over with.

I don't have my timetable, pretty much everyone I know has theirs but a few other people on my course also don't. I've decided not to worry about it until freshers week and if I still don't have it by then I'll have to ask someone.

Everything that was on Monday has been cancelled, which was predictable. Alot of places will be shut so I guess it's a day for flat bonding? It will definitely be a weird day.

I have no more plans for this week so it's going to be a long couple of days of waiting and chilling (and of course packing). But I've had a great few days and said goodbye to a few more friends.

Ah yes I totally get that. Everything seems so uncertain at the moment doesn't it. Like not quite knowing what to expect and how those first few weeks will go. I'm feeling similar despite being a second year now.

We're supposed to be getting our timetables today but no-one seems to know what's going on and hardly anyone has received them. It feels like an absolute nightmare. I have so much I need to sort out before lectures actually start and I'm just running out of time now.

Hopefully all goes well for on moving day and you settle in ok. I'll be thinking of you. 🙂

Being nervous ia perfectly normal :smile:

Make sure you have food in as shops will be shut then busy.
(edited 1 year ago)
Good luck! :hugs:
Love the photo of your mug collection! :love:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending