The Student Room Group

Have you ever been called 'ugly'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joyful_soul
What do you do to carry on?

How do you retain your self confidence?

What have you done to make yourself more handsome?

I've been called ugly throughout my entire life and it really damaged my self-esteem and confidence. Even as a young kid, I remember I'd be minding my own business and other kids felt the need to just tell me to my face how ugly I was. I'd cry almost every day. I'd like to think that was ugly duckling phase, a long one at that , and I think semi look not as bad as before.

I really dont retain my self confidence. My entire confidence is based on what other people think of me or what they say to me. So ..
:s-smilie:

I don't wear glasses anymore, wear makeup, and have my hair done nicely I guess..
Reply 61
Original post by Joshale
anybody else think being called ugly by the same sex would hurt more than the opposite? If a girl called me ugly, I wouldn't care but if a guy did I probably would for some reason

Not for my sex :lol:

All girls bitch :colonhash:
Reply 62
Original post by samanthamumba
No me no believe it :no:

Me no accepting ze LIES!!!

Girls always comment on my looks when I walk de high street:cry2:.True story.

I'm a DUDE:tongue:

Idgi.. so you're a HeShe?
I can't remember being called ugly to my face, however once a girl decided to put me on a list of ugliest people in my year. That hurt, especially as I'd never even spoken to this girl so had no idea why she felt the need to be so mean about me.

How do I retain my confidence? I never thought I was pretty in the first place but I try to focus more on things I can actually control rather than getting hung up on things like this.
(edited 9 years ago)

Yes.

1) The same as I did before

2) Nothing I don't care - it's one persons opinion

3) Nothing more than I usually do

Yes, A number of times (though others have called me nice, okay and cute too).

I ignore them and view them as inferior for needing to insult me.

I never lost self confidence because of it. Because my self worth is tied to my ego and personal success/self belief (fortunately or unfortunately - it has been both good and bad) i don't really require validation from randomers and i'd not be friends with somebody who was 'mean' (obviously there's joking around as lads) so it's never been an issue.

Well at my prime (17-21) i made sure i was well groomed, had my own style (a kind of smart causal supposedly preppy look), put on enough aftershave to intoxicate anybody within 100 feet, moisturised, used concealer from time to time and tanned in summer.
Reply 66
Original post by samanthamumba
No:no: I'm a dude but i have to keep my real identity incognito because I harassed people to look at my profile pic because I thought I was good looking and so I got banned.....ppssshh keep it a SECRET.:listen:

BTW you want to see my profile pic:colondollar:,

Nobody cares.
Original post by chocolatesauce
I remember getting called ugly by my mum :colonhash: that's the one that really sticks out because I thought if your own mum is saying it then I must be ugly :no:

She hasn't said it since though :smile:

Lmao asian mothers are ruthless.
My mum called me ugly too, I think (or hope) she was joking but Idk :lol:
Everyone has and everyone will be ugly or pretty in someone's eyes. Even "pretty" people

If you have a good figure though :wink:
This is my best advice:

I think what people should do is instead of getting down because they're not/trying to be universal good-looking/liked is to find the best ways to enhance themselves, get the look that they want ( i.e good figure go gym,etc) and then when they've got the look (or near to it) they should be happy with themselves and really don't care what other people think because they're got the look that they want so nobodies opinions matter. ( For example if you want the bodybulider look , get it, and people call you ugly,etc ignore them because you have got the look YOU want and YOU like that look.)

Everyone has difference tastes anyways. I don't find Channing Tatum hot while (nearly) everyone else does. People think Zac Efron,Tom Cruise, The Wanted, etc are ugly while others think they're one of the best looking humans on earth. No-one is universal good-looking or liked. You will always be ugly/not good-looking/plain/alright/attactive/pretty/beautiful/perfect in somebody's eyes. Someone will like you for you anyway.

Easier said than done haha :biggrin: ....

is it the same if you 6 yr old brother calls you ugly???
Reply 71
Now that you mention it, the only person I remember calling me ugly is myself
Yeah once or twice in school
Original post by Maid Marian
Yes, a boy shouted it at me in the street when I was 12. I was with my stunning best friend at the time so felt utterly mortified.
That was the one that sticks out to me most. :moon:

Then there's the hundreds of times it was implied to me. In the younger years at secondary school, when the boys would rate the girls on looks, I was always, always last. :sad:
these days though when Ginger Rodgers is walking down the street... [video="youtube;gvmyTZEqlo8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvmyTZEqlo8[/video]

Original post by Carpe Vinum
Yep. When I was 13, a boy at school who I'd never even spoke to walked past me and said out loud to his friends "look how ugly she is". I've never been more hurt in my life. Now, if someone called me ugly I'd say "is that the best you can do?" and laugh in their face.
laugh in their face.wow thats the kindve control I want.

id only be kidding myself if I said that sort of thing wouldnt get to me.Im rather emotional charged.pretty pathetic.

hmm Ive never been a good looking chap so i guess I got used to it.so used to it that it was not really an issue.I accepted Iw as uglay.

now idk just the last while ive been getting compliments on how I look/clothes I wear so happy days!:biggrin:

ultimately I realise who da ****s cares but easier said than done to forget words like that:smile:

what have I done..hmm little.I should really chance a trendy haircut/start going to gym more often
Original post by eelnais
That is true - I'm friends with a lot of guys and they agreed. I find it very funny overhearing conversations guys have and then when I talk to them on their own afterwards it's always slightly different to what they said beforehand.

If you've got a good figure and a flattering haircut, there's not much about your face that would deter people away to be honest.
hmm on the lads rating girls side of things...let me add I see many girls who...could look a lot better...theres definite potential to look da bomb but they wear terrible clothes..no makeup nothing and above all hold themselves poorly due to low self esteem im guessing.

lads will naturally rank them lower..in their bare skin Id say theyd give the best ones a run for the money.
its the same for lads..for the average joe its not about what cards youre given its how yeh use them cards.
Hint: oversized tshirts on girls and nothing else is :cool: yum yum
Original post by Biryani007
Lmao asian mothers are ruthless.
My mum called me ugly too, I think (or hope) she was joking but Idk :lol:

You know I wouldn't be surprised if she called me ugly today, it must be an Asian thing :lol:
yes! but its because i am so no surprise there! :lol:
Not sure when the last time was, but yes. Only by one person since school though. I can't remember what my reaction was back then :beard:
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Not sure when the last time was, but yes. Only by one person since school though. I can't remember what my reaction was back then :beard:

that you in your profile pic?:O

looking tastey!:biggrin:
Original post by Precious Illusions
The girl in front is 5'1...I'm 5'5. That's...not really lanky at all.

But yes that's probably for the best, goodbye :smile:

This convo made me feel awkward and laugh at the same time hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest