The Student Room Group

Higher physics 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Pennyarcade
What do you need to get out of 6th year? What are you applying for?

Physics is easier and more interesting than maths.

Not entirely sure now but I'm swaying towards the medicine/biomed sciences degrees.
Was thinking of doing maths as an backup so I can apply for finance/engineering or other degrees that need maths if I suddenly change my mind.
However I also assume Advanced Higher physics should be able to replace the benefits of Advanced Higher maths? And yes I agree physics is more interesting.
Original post by muchensmile
Not entirely sure now but I'm swaying towards the medicine/biomed sciences degrees.
Was thinking of doing maths as an backup so I can apply for finance/engineering or other degrees that need maths if I suddenly change my mind.
However I also assume Advanced Higher physics should be able to replace the benefits of Advanced Higher maths? And yes I agree physics is more interesting.

Well if you are thinking of medicine you better get your ass in gear - arrange work experience etc (easier said than done...)
Unless you're thinking about going down south, the AHs you pick wont actually matter much.

Benefits like what? Wasting your time revising something you don't need :tongue:?
Reply 182
Well if you are thinking of medicine you better get your ass in gear - arrange work experience etc (easier said than done...)
Unless you're thinking about going down south, the AHs you pick wont actually matter much.

Benefits like what? Wasting your time revising something you don't need :tongue:?

Yeah planning a lot of work experience during summer and sixth year, so probably not much time to be studying overkill subjects. Well, Ill think about maths/physics over the summer.
Thanks anyway:biggrin:
Hello everyone. I'm new to the student room but was hoping someone can help me.
I am studying for higher physics and I have noticed a few things in how I answer my questions in past papers.

Particularly in unit 2 questions, I always seem to use the wrong formulas. For example the marking scheme tells me to use V=IR but I use other formulas like E=V+1r and I still come to the right answer.
Will I lose all the marks if I'm not using the formula in the marking scheme but get to the right answer? I'm asking this as you seem to get half or full marks for the substitution and formula writing parts.
Someone please answer because I am freaking out!
Reply 184
Original post by Srasul201
Hello everyone. I'm new to the student room but was hoping someone can help me.
I am studying for higher physics and I have noticed a few things in how I answer my questions in past papers.

Particularly in unit 2 questions, I always seem to use the wrong formulas. For example the marking scheme tells me to use V=IR but I use other formulas like E=V+1r and I still come to the right answer.
Will I lose all the marks if I'm not using the formula in the marking scheme but get to the right answer? I'm asking this as you seem to get half or full marks for the substitution and formula writing parts.
Someone please answer because I am freaking out!

There are many ways to do internal resistance questions, if you are careful and use E=V+Ir or E=I(R+r) instead of V=IR you can still get full marks.
I've seen some marking schemes listing out many different solutions to these problems and you can get full marks.
However please check that question again in case you got it right by chance.
Original post by muchensmile
There are many ways to do internal resistance questions, if you are careful and use E=V+Ir or E=I(R+r) instead of V=IR you can still get full marks.
I've seen some marking schemes listing out many different solutions to these problems and you can get full marks.
However please check that question again in case you got it right by chance.

Hello thank you so much for replying! :smile:
I checked my answer and yupp I definitely got the right answer and not by chance.
I was getting worried but thank you I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by Srasul201
Hello thank you so much for replying! :smile:
I checked my answer and yupp I definitely got the right answer and not by chance.
I was getting worried but thank you I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW :smile:

Glad to help:biggrin:
Good luck with the exam on Tuesday!
I am actually excited for this exam to be totally honest.
Not even sure why!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Original post by Higherdude
I am actually excited for this exam to be totally honest.
Not even sure why!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am quite excited too, I also always get calmer as the exams come nearer...or maybe its just me.
Reply 189
I just remembered a top tip for physics:biggrin:
Read the questions/diagrams carefully to watch out for prefixes eg mA or nm! Don't be fooled! XD
Probably good to note that the boundary for an A was just 67% last year.
Reply 191
Original post by sewell98

Doing the 2014 paper now, have to say its very slightly harder than some years.
I thought it took more thinking/work but overall got the same mark as I have been getting. Was just 68% in 2013 as well
Original post by sewell98

Really? I assume it will be because of the scale drawing question, I remember hardly anyone I knew got that one correct
Reply 194
Really? I assume it will be because of the scale drawing question, I remember hardly anyone I knew got that one correct

Yeah that scale drawing fooled me for quite a bit. The block and the dart question was also quite (strange).
That darts question was brutal last year- they said the dart stuck into the block but then didn't include it for some parts of the final calculations??? Just horrible.

Tbh I think I'm just excited to get it over with and just chill and do some business management past papers for a bit (not that they exactly require any ability to think...).
Reply 196
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
That darts question was brutal last year- they said the dart stuck into the block but then didn't include it for some parts of the final calculations??? Just horrible.

Tbh I think I'm just excited to get it over with and just chill and do some business management past papers for a bit (not that they exactly require any ability to think...).

Haha I agree, after physics I have a week to do biology which is plenty:biggrin:
Yeah, the darts question makes little sense to me even after the marking scheme. They use the mass of the block to get the Ek of the arrow?
Some of the S6s in my class resitting higher claimed they had post traumatic stress after that one lol
That parasail question in the 2014 one was really annoying :s-smilie: For some reason I noticed the "constant height" part or whatever and thought of balanced forces, so based my answer off that.

Oh and I thought the dart question was quite fun haha :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending