The Student Room Group

Next steps for Access to Higher Education: Science

If I did Access to Higher Education: Science, would I study biological sciences, biochemistry and biomedical sciences?
Original post by stanvirdip
If I did Access to Higher Education: Science, would I study biological sciences, biochemistry and biomedical sciences?

It depends on the content of the Access course.
If you did the Access course, it doesn't necessarily mean your options are just limited to Science (even though it would be a waste not to in my opinion). You can usually get accepted into degrees that accept any Level 3 qualification in any subject e.g. business, property, philosophy, nursing, etc. The conditions usually are that the university needs to accept the Access course (usually some English universities), it needs to have sufficient modules in the right content (e..g 15 credits in biology, 15 credits in maths, etc.), the university needs to be able to accept the qualification for that particular course (e.g. you are very unlikely to get accepted onto a maths or physics degree with an Access course), and you need the right grades.

If you for any random reason decide not to go to university, you can use the Access course to enroll onto any professional qualification that asks for a level 3 qualification e.g. professional accounting qualifications.

Most Access courses in science tends to have adequate biology and chemistry modules to go into the biosciences. Some might not have enough to go into physics and engineering disciplines without doing further A Levels.

I think it would be easier if you specify what sort of degree that you want and where you want to do the degree, then we can work from there. It's very difficult to say what you can do with the Access without knowing your end goals first. There's too much to cover and I could end up writing an entire novel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending