The Student Room Group

Psychology crisis

I'm currently in my second year of Alevels. I am studying English, Psychology and RE (I dropped Art and Critical thinking).
I was stressed throughout my revision period due to a very tough divorce in the family and I believe this had an impact on my results. I was predicted 5As at AS and got
B - Art
B - English
C - Psychology
C - RE
E - Critical thinking

I am applying to Durham, Warwick, Keele, Bristol, Royal Holloway and York for psychology.
Am I making a mistake? xx:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Well based on the fact that most unis make a 3 A Level offer, then no. (BTW, you really want to post this in A Level discussion or UCAS)
Reply 2
Well no, if you do well in ur A2s, you should have enough points to make at least 2 of those unis. You should be okay. Just concentrate on A2s now.
Reply 3
Psychology is very competitive, especially at some of the Universities listed in your post. If I were you, I would resit some modules to take the pressure off A2 exams, make sure I had some really solid work experience and a good personal statement (and reference) explaining my circumstances. I would also not declare my grades in my UCAS application and ask my reference to predict me 'A's if that is what I thought I was capable of. Basically, I think with your current grades it would be difficult to get into say York which asks for AAB/ABB grades and attracts students who have straight A's at AS (there are exceptions of course, but top tier universities attract high achievers). For now, concentrate on your A2's, resit some modules if that's what you choose to do, and focus on making sure your UCAS form was gleaming. Remember, for your UCAS application you’re advised to choose two ‘dream’ universities, two universities you can realistically achieve the grades for, and two back up options so if everything goes wrong you’re not screwed. Good luck. :cool:
Gembob18
I'm currently in my second year of Alevels. I am studying English, Psychology and RE (I dropped Art and Critical thinking).
I was stressed throughout my revision period due to a very tough divorce in the family and I believe this had an impact on my results. I was predicted 5As at AS and got
B - Art
B - English
C - Psychology
C - RE
E - Critical thinking

I am applying to Durham, Warwick, Keele, Bristol, Royal Holloway and York for psychology.
Am I making a mistake? xx:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

You'll be fine :-D
Wooooo Warwick, York and RH! I'm applying there too!
Reply 5
not sure. Durham, warwick, york and bristol are quite competetive.

And you will need AAB for Durham, York
And probably AAA for bristol

I would go for 2 of those unis, but choose another uni to fall back on in case you dont get the grades you want. i got ABBB in my AS levels and i applied for durham, but i needed AAB. Well they gave me a conditional offer. So if you get the UCAS adminstrator at your school to perhaps inform UCAS that you had family problems, the universities may be able to overlook the fact that your grades are'nt up to scratch. the problem is if they see those grades, they may not be bothered to read your application. i would recommend apply for 2 out of the 4 as well as royal holloway and keele.

Retake your exams and hope the best. good luck!
Reply 6
Ok i didn't even read what toastie said and it looks the same as what i wrote, but i didnt copy honest!

Latest