The Student Room Group

Help with GCSE German oral

In my oral i have to describe a photo to my teacher.
Please look over this and correct it (the content doesn't really matter the grammar just needs to be right):

Auf diesen Foto, gibt es ein Straße, das Oxford Street heißt. Es gibt Busse, Geschäfte und viele Leute. Wenn ich zu Oxford Street fahre, fahre ich mit dem U-Bahn. Letztes Wochenende, wollte ich zu Oxford Street gefahren. Jedoch, das Picadilly Line nicht laufen lassen hat. Also musste ich auf das Central Line gefahren. Im Oxford Street, einkaufe ich. Um einkaufen zu gehen, muss man einige Geld. Letztes Wochenende hätte ich viele Geld, weil ich mein Geld gespart.

Hi, c:

It's really good! I did German for my GCSEs too. I'd put in some opinions, like add in "es macht spass" or something. They like to hear that.
Reply 2
Original post by BethWarman
Hi, c:

It's really good! I did German for my GCSEs too. I'd put in some opinions, like add in "es macht spass" or something. They like to hear that.

thank you! yeah i'll add them later in the speech

so is there no grammatical errors?
Fine but there are a couple of grammar errors. Don't forget that a modal verb like "wollen" or "müssen" is followed by an infinitive, not the past participle. The indication of past time comes entirely from using the past tense "wollte" or "musste". So it should be: "Letztes Wochenende wollte ich zu Oxford Street fahren" [Not gefahren] and similarly it should be: " Also musste ich auf das Central Line fahren." [Not gefahren] If it helps, think of the English structure. We say," I wanted to go [infinitive] to Oxford Street" and not " I wanted went to Oxford Street".

I don't think you can just translate "run" as in "the Piccadilly Line wasn't running" literally with "laufen". To sound more idiomatic I'd suggest "Die Piccadilly Linie war ausser Dienst" [=out of service] or "funktionerte nicht" [was not functioning]. "Funktionieren" is a useful verb to know e.g. "Es funktioniert nicht" = "It's not working" [about a machine etc.]

Hope that helps.

Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by martin607
Fine but there are a couple of grammar errors. Don't forget that a modal verb like "wollen" or "müssen" is followed by an infinitive, not the past participle. The indication of past time comes entirely from using the past tense "wollte" or "musste". So it should be: "Letztes Wochenende wollte ich zu Oxford Street fahren" [Not gefahren] and similarly it should be: " Also musste ich auf das Central Line fahren."[Not gefahren] If it helps, think of the English structure. We say," I wanted to go [infinitive] to Oxford Street" and not " I wanted went to Oxford Street".

I don't think you can just translate "run" as in "the Piccadilly Line wasn't running" literally with "laufen". To sound more idiomatic I'd suggest "Die Piccadilly Linie war ausser Dienst" [=out of service] or "funktionerte nicht" [was not functioning]. "Funktionieren" is a useful verb to know e.g. "Es funktioniert nicht" = "It's not working" [about a machine etc.]

Hope that helps.

Good luck

Thank you so much!!! :smile:
This really helped
You're welcome. Glad to help.

Don't forget in the oral exam that you should listen to any questions or comments from the teacher/examiner and respond to them. The more you listen to them, the less chance you have of making too many mistakes!

As I said, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending