The Student Room Group

How to lose your inhibitions (lol)

I feel I’m being held back by recurring but sporadic bursts of shyness. Normally I’m not particularly the wallflower type (in fact I perversely quite like being the centre of attention- but only in certain situations) but in some cases I get an extreme case of the nerves that kind of clouds my conscience. It’s not restricted to just romance, but a prominent example is when I’m around guys I like. With one guy in particular I felt so awkward that it close to ruined the relationship (though there were other factors in this too). Whenever he touched/kissed me I got the butterflies so bad that I couldn’t even think straight and for some reason he found this an extreme turn off as I just stood there like a lemon looking completely shell-shocked rather than responding like a normal human. It got to the point where I’d rather avoid him altogether rather than flirting like I wish I could and ending up feeling so painfully self-conscious. I’m guessing my inexperience and quite bad self-esteem could be the reason. I’ve probably just yet to meet the right person but does anyone have tips on how to get over this ridiculous nervousness? I overthink absolutely everything and find it very hard to let myself go, and even when I really want to do something I hold myself back how do I learn to live in the moment and stop being so uptight? It seems I'll have to if I ever want a fully-functioning relationship :wink:
Reply 1
BUMP
You need to take a step back from an interest in relationships for a while and focus on maturing as a person for a bit.
Reply 3
How old are you ? I don't know how exactly your meant to cure someones frigidity , I thought hormones and puberty took care of that
Reply 4
Original post by Atreus
How old are you ? I don't know how exactly your meant to cure someones frigidity , I thought hormones and puberty took care of that

I'm 17. Now I'm worried that it's not just the particular guy who made me feel bad for being a bit nervous (he was a bit of a dick about it actually), but that it's a real issue :/
Reply 5
I dont think there is anything wrong with you, I actually think you sounds quite sweet..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending