The Student Room Group

Help me!! A-level crisis

In AS, i did maths, physics, electronics & computing and i ended up with the grades DUUU. D in electronics. I decided to continue my electronics and improve this year. I also decided to study the whole of Maths (AS and A2) independently, where i paid for the exams. And im doing BTEC science, which will give me a whole A level in 1 year. I was planning on doing law in a good uni, but to do so, they will look at my AS grades, and there is a very low chance of me getting into any uni with those grades. I'm looking into getting into a really good uni. My predicted grades for BTEC Science is D*, and according to my tuition teacher, i have a really good chance of getting an A* in maths, if i work at the pace im working at. And my electronics can boosted up to an A. I don't know what to do! I was planning on applying for uni this year. I would have got 3 A-levels, which is essential for all uni, y the end of this year.
"Really good unis" might find out that you re-sat to get that A, and reject you because of it. So don't bother except with a crap uni
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
"Really good unis" might find out that you re-sat to get that A, and reject you because of it. So don't bother except with a crap uni

I'm not resitting anything in the electronics, im just doing better in 2nd year, and gettin it to an A. :smile:
Reply 3
Like your ambition but that's a big leap from DUUU and if your not resitting any electronics modules then to get from a D to an A you will need 100% this year and to have the highest possible D already. Whatever you get your right that you'll struggle to get into uni with those AS's.

Why not take the year out (next year) and apply during that year with your full A-levels which (hopefully) will allow you to go where you want to go.
If you want to do law, I would personally consider the A-levels you intend to get, for starters. It would definitely look strange to come from a science/maths background to law.
To add to that, you will probably need to resit at least one electronics exam to get an A overall.

With your AS results, it would be better for you to apply post-A-levels, and try to get some work experience in your gap year.
Reply 5
Original post by Shaun147
Like your ambition but that's a big leap from DUUU and if your not resitting any electronics modules then to get from a D to an A you will need 100% this year and to have the highest possible D already. Whatever you get your right that you'll struggle to get into uni with those AS's.

Why not take the year out (next year) and apply during that year with your full A-levels which (hopefully) will allow you to go where you want to go.

I thought about that. But then i will finish ll 3 of my A- levels by this year, and i dont know what to do next year. I would be a waste of a whole year, as iv tried to find work experience in law firms and its really hard. FYI- yes, i will need close to 100% this year o get an A in electronics
Thanks for your time, i really appreciate it. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by loperdoper
If you want to do law, I would personally consider the A-levels you intend to get, for starters. It would definitely look strange to come from a science/maths background to law.
To add to that, you will probably need to resit at least one electronics exam to get an A overall.

With your AS results, it would be better for you to apply post-A-levels, and try to get some work experience in your gap year.

Hey, thank for your reply..
I asked a teacher about this, you see iv always wanted to have a career in law, but due to circumstances, i decided against it and went to look at engineering. Now i know that was a huge mistake.. My teacher told me that Law doesn't require any specific subject.. They ask for 1 essay-based subject (in my case BTEC science), maths or sciences and apprently the 3rd one can be anything.
Original post by rocky555
Hey, thank for your reply..
I asked a teacher about this, you see iv always wanted to have a career in law, but due to circumstances, i decided against it and went to look at engineering. Now i know that was a huge mistake.. My teacher told me that Law doesn't require any specific subject.. They ask for 1 essay-based subject (in my case BTEC science), maths or sciences and apprently the 3rd one can be anything.

Yeah, they don't, but most applicants will have English Lit, History or another "traditional" essay subject (if we're talking about ""top"" universities). But if BTEC science is considered essay-based, then I suppose you're okay.
take a year out and actually get worthwhile grades. Don't apply this year.
Reply 9
Original post by loperdoper
Yeah, they don't, but most applicants will have English Lit, History or another "traditional" essay subject (if we're talking about ""top"" universities). But if BTEC science is considered essay-based, then I suppose you're okay.

Yaa, i do understand what your saying. :smile: I know subjects like history or eng will be more preferable than btec science. But, i think places like uni of Birmingham wouldnt mind that much. Like their asking for 3As wen it comes to Alevels, and distinction when it BTEC level 3 Subsidiary Diploma
Reply 10
Original post by tearteto
take a year out and actually get worthwhile grades. Don't apply this year.

I really thought about that.. But, i don't really want to sit out on an year, and do nothing. I'll have finished all 3 of my A levels by this year.. I can do an extra A- level next year, but i think its unnecessary.

Quick Reply

Latest