The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, at GCSE I achieved 5A*, 3A 1B and a Distinction in ICT (counts as 2 A's), the B I got was in English Language, so it kind of limits where I can apply but I'm thinking of applying to Manchester, Plymouth, Newcastle and Barts or Kings you?
Reply 2
Original post by Raaaas
Hey, at GCSE I achieved 5A*, 3A 1B and a Distinction in ICT (counts as 2 A's), the B I got was in English Language, so it kind of limits where I can apply but I'm thinking of applying to Manchester, Plymouth, Newcastle and Barts or Kings you?

I got 5 A*s, 6 A's and a B in English Language too, but I was looking at applying for Bristol, Barts and maybe Kings?
Have you thought about the UKCAT yet, I feel as if I'm never gonna be able to get a good score in it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by PriyaT
I got 5 A*s, 6 A's and a B in English Language too, but I was looking at applying for Bristol, Barts and maybe Kings?
Have you thought about the UKCAT yet, I feel as if I'm never gonna be able to get a good score in it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeahh, the UKCAT is soo hard :frown: gets me upset just thinking about it especially the VR, how do they expect us the read the long text and answer the question in under 30 seconds!

Don't Bristol need an A for Enlgish Language?
Reply 4
Original post by Raaaas
Yeahh, the UKCAT is soo hard :frown: gets me upset just thinking about it especially the VR, how do they expect us the read the long text and answer the question in under 30 seconds!

Don't Bristol need an A for Enlgish Language?

QR is the hardest one for me, I honestly cannot do any of them! I seriously need to practice hard to get a reasonable score for it.

And I don't know, I'm not sure if they want A/A*s for all the core subjects or just any 5, because that is hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by PriyaT
QR is the hardest one for me, I honestly cannot do any of them! I seriously need to practice hard to get a reasonable score for it.

And I don't know, I'm not sure if they want A/A*s for all the core subjects or just any 5, because that is hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements

Look at that page

Have you started practicing for the UKCAT?
Reply 6
Original post by Raaaas
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements

Look at that page

Have you started practicing for the UKCAT?

The gcse requirements are so high!

And not yet, I was thinking of buying a question book from Amazon soon. Have you? When are you planning on sitting it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by PriyaT
The gcse requirements are so high!

And not yet, I was thinking of buying a question book from Amazon soon. Have you? When are you planning on sitting it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I've not started yet, it think its not good to start too early so that you don't use all the resources available, I think ill start after I finish the AS exams

Are you still considering Bristol?
Reply 8
Original post by Raaaas
No I've not started yet, it think its not good to start too early so that you don't use all the resources available, I think ill start after I finish the AS exams

Are you still considering Bristol?

Yeah, that's a fair point I suppose.

And I'm really not sure, I liked Bristol but if I don't have the english language grade is there any point in applying? I wonder how much they stick to the gcse requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by PriyaT
Yeah, that's a fair point I suppose.

And I'm really not sure, I liked Bristol but if I don't have the english language grade is there any point in applying? I wonder how much they stick to the gcse requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since they are non UKCAT I assume they are strict about it. So you could have 10A*'s and 1 B in english and they wont even look at your application. I'm not 100% sure though, I would email them and ask
Original post by PriyaT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity, why are you only applying to 2-3 dental schools?
Reply 11
Original post by Raaaas
Since they are non UKCAT I assume they are strict about it. So you could have 10A*'s and 1 B in english and they wont even look at your application. I'm not 100% sure though, I would email them and ask

That's a good idea, I'll probably do that when I'm deciding where to apply.

Have you done any work experience yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by R Dragon
Out of curiosity, why are you only applying to 2-3 dental schools?

I'm not sure where I'm going to apply yet, but after visiting I will apply to more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PriyaT
I'm not sure where I'm going to apply yet, but after visiting I will apply to more!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, I think you should apply to one that doesn't accept UKCAT scores just in case... But good luck
Reply 14
Original post by PriyaT
That's a good idea, I'll probably do that when I'm deciding where to apply.

Have you done any work experience yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going tomorrow:smile:

I haven't started volunteering yet though, have you?
Reply 15
Original post by Raaaas
I'm going tomorrow:smile:

I haven't started volunteering yet though, have you?

Oh right! Where are you going?

And I haven't done any work experience yet, but I was planning on doing gap medics in the summer holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by PriyaT
Oh right! Where are you going?

And I haven't done any work experience yet, but I was planning on doing gap medics in the summer holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you started volunteering though?

Do you plan on taking a Gap year? I think the summer is the time where people start practicing for the UKCAT.
Reply 17
Original post by Raaaas
Have you started volunteering though?

Do you plan on taking a Gap year? I think the summer is the time where people start practicing for the UKCAT.

No I haven't started anything yet :frown:

No not a gap year, just a few weeks abroad at the start of summer, and then start UKCAT practice and more work experience/volunteering afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I went to the 'becoming a dentist' session on Wednesday at Leeds University. They were mentioning something about a BMAT test rather than a UKCAT test. So if anyone does want to apply for Leeds dental school make sure you've revised for the BMAT test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by HussainSidra3
Hey guys, I went to the 'becoming a dentist' session on Wednesday at Leeds University. They were mentioning something about a BMAT test rather than a UKCAT test. So if anyone does want to apply for Leeds dental school make sure you've revised for the BMAT test.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, yeah thanks. So your a future dentist as well? What are you stats?

Latest