The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Areebym
How are everyone's results? (Scottish highers) I got AABBB and am quite upset as I was expecting AAAAB :frown:
To study dentistry has been my dream since age 11, think I can still apply? :frown:

Hi, Sucks to here that. I got AAAAB despite getting 5 As in my prelims so it looks like that is quite a few universities in England ruled out. I wouldn't give up though! there seems to be plenty of other routes in to Dentistry if you are really passionate! :smile:
For anyone who has done thorough research on all/most of the dental schools and knows what they're talking about, where would I most likely be offered interviews from with UKCAT of 680 and 11A*s, 1A at GCSE?
Hi all, if anyone wants to PM me any questions feel free to; I got five offers in 2015 for dentistry+my 5th choice (idk how) from Bristol, Cardiff, Sheffield and Liverpool so fire away!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shadowninja107
For anyone who has done thorough research on all/most of the dental schools and knows what they're talking about, where would I most likely be offered interviews from with UKCAT of 680 and 11A*s, 1A at GCSE?

Look at entry requirements; ie places which look at GCSE's (yours are strong woooo) and different uni's use the UKCAT differently/ not at all- eg Bristol doesn't look at it but King's rank candidates using the UKCAT so once the average is calculated look how you've done and work it out accordingly- I can't tell you how good your UKCAT is because the boundaries change every year!

For now get as much work experience as you can and think about your personal statement but also chill during the summer because you've got a stressful and tiring year ahead I'm afraid!!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmBlacck
Hi all, if anyone wants to PM me any questions feel free to; I got five offers in 2015 for dentistry+my 5th choice (idk how) from Bristol, Cardiff, Sheffield and Liverpool so fire away!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey can I ask what were your AS grades like ? And how did you do at the ukcat /GCSE grades ?:smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmBlacck

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much work experience did you do? I've done about two weeks and then 8 consecutive afternoons at a different practice and I have got two more weeks coming up. What was your UKCAT score and AS Grades and how were the multiple mini interviews?????????????????????
Hiya, is 735 as an average score out of the four components and a band 1 in SJ sufficient to apply for dentistry? Considering Kings put emphasis on it as well... Has anyone else done the UKCAT? What results have you got?
Original post by Anymorefor123
Hey can I ask what were your AS grades like ? And how did you do at the ukcat /GCSE grades ?:smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Milliex98
How much work experience did you do? I've done about two weeks and then 8 consecutive afternoons at a different practice and I have got two more weeks coming up. What was your UKCAT score and AS Grades and how were the multiple mini interviews?????????????????????

That's plenty of work experience as long as you have a few interesting cases that you can remember and really talk about- whether that's in your personal statement or for interview :smile: I promise you it's quality over quantity because obviously some people have more contacts than others- it's what you gain from the experience!

My advice is to write them down because you aren't going to remember exactly what's going on come January- March time! MMI takes some getting used to- just practice getting to the point and speaking out loud but honestly you don't have to start worrying about interviews for a while yet :smile:

Good luck :smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys i really need help,

I achieved A*AA for my A-levels and 3A* 6A for my gcse's.

I havent done ukcat yet.

I really want to be a dentist but feel as though its impossible to get accepted. I got 4/4 rejections first time round since i got 557.5 on my ukcat and poor AS grades.

Therefore im really feeling pessimistic and not confident for applying again. Ive got plenty of w/e and extra-curricular but dont know if thats enough for interview.

Would it be wise to give it up and go for an alternative career?

Thanks
Original post by abdulmilad

I havent done ukcat yet.

I really want to be a dentist but feel as though its impossible to get accepted. I got 4/4 rejections first time round since i got 557.5 on my ukcat and poor AS grades.

Therefore im really feeling pessimistic and not confident for applying again. Ive got plenty of w/e and extra-curricular but dont know if thats enough for interview.

Thanks

Hell no! Try again with the ukcat :smile: the rest of your stats are top notch! X
Original post by abdulmilad

I havent done ukcat yet.

Thanks

what were your AS grades if you don't mind me asking?
and no you could still apply , you just need to prepare well and practise and you'll be fine
B in chem 232

C in bio 199

C in maths 203

D in economics 114

I want to do dentistry think I just screwed that up do you think I should remark anything and if I have any chsbce of applying to dentistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yasmin#2
and no you could still apply , you just need to prepare well and practise and you'll be fine

My
Brother was pretty much in the exact same boat as you !! I say 100% go got it ' MAN YOUVE DONE
AMAZING :smile: you even have an A* fgs . You'll easily get An unconditional offer providing your personal statement is good and you have a wide range of work experience . As for the ukcat there's tonnes Of courses you can do to
Improve that and try applying to unis that don't take much importance of that . Tbh i doubt it would even play much importance for your application seeing as you've already met the grades .
Go for it :smile: if it's your passion do it. Your
Gap year will go So fast you'll not
Even notice it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
Im applying this year.....
STATS:
GCSE: 4A*s 5As 2Bs D*
AS LEVEL: AAAA
-Should get the required predictions for A-Level.
UKCAT: 625

Any advice where I should apply please and avoid....Ive been checking and got some in mind but don't really know where my UKCAT score will let me go???

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 235
I received my As results yesterday and got
Bio - B
Chem - C
Maths - C
Music Tech - C

I have no idea what to do, as I hadn't expected my grades to be this bad. Is it possible for me to still apply to dental school and get 3As which is required? :frown:
Original post by ncncnc
I received my As results yesterday and got
Bio - B
Chem - C
Maths - C
Music Tech - C

I have no idea what to do, as I hadn't expected my grades to be this bad. Is it possible for me to still apply to dental school and get 3As which is required? :frown:

I'm not sure. It depends what your predicted A2 grades are, but if you got BCCC I think the best you could be predicted would be ABBB. It works like that at my school anyway.

Though if you have a good UKCAT and loads of work experience you might be fine.
Reply 237
Original post by Blobfish13
I'm not sure. It depends what your predicted A2 grades are, but if you got BCCC I think the best you could be predicted would be ABBB. It works like that at my school anyway.

I have a lot of work experience, both in the UK and abroad, starting from when I was in year 10, however, I took my UKCAT yesterday and I don't think the results are that great.

I got 510, 600, 570, 640 and band 3.
Original post by yasmin#2

I got AABB for my AS levels
Original post by Blobfish13

Hi, I got the same results as you yesterday and was also hoping to do dentistry. I had loads of work experience and had even done a draft for my personal statement. People have told me that it is possible to transform their grades with resits so it is possible but for me personally I have decided to give up on dentistry and try something else. Good Luck!

Latest