The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
what was ur BMAT score?
Original post by johnsmith34
Hi guys I've got 8A*s, 2As and a C at GCSE, 4As at AS level and I'm predicted 4A*s, done 2 weeks of normal dental work experience.

Pro: I've done maxfax every other thursday for like 6 months and also done three days at a maxfax lab. Done volunteering for 9 months at hospice and also mentored 6-8 year olds for over a year.

Con: got 675 avg in ukcat and band 2. BUT I got 460 in abstract reasoning.

Want to go to newcastle, what do you think, which unis should i apply to for dentistry?

cardiff, newcastle,birmingham should be ok
avoid plymouth, they have section cut offs
Cheers mate! Hey how do you know this btw , what knowledge do you base this advice on? Because I was thinking Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds and Bristol, is that okay? Or is Cardiff better than Birmingham? And would you say my chances of Kings College are low even though predicted grades and As levels are high ? Thanks again

ive been following last years thread since it started, i remember the people that got offers and their stats and which unis they got offers at, they used to discuss things like this too
and yeah thats fine, you have to sit the BMAT for leeds so make sure you are entered tomorrow or friday because friday is the deadline (speak to your head of sixth form)
and kcl in my opinion is probably the most competitive, its annoying because they look at everything AS, pred grades, ukcat, reference and PS. so you could go wrong on any one of them and they'd reject you whereas bristol look at just your personal statement *provided u meet the entry reqs) so if you make that really good youre more likely to get an interview if u get what i mean
Cheers mate! Hey how do you know this btw , what knowledge do you base this advice on? Because I was thinking Newcastle, Birmingham, Leeds and Bristol, is that okay? Or is Cardiff better than Birmingham? And would you say my chances of Kings College are low even though predicted grades and As levels are high ? Thanks again

bimingham have a brand new university dental hospital, cardiff is equally as good - so either, look into it :smile:
Reply 584
Does anyone know how competitive Sheffield is compared to the other unis? Do they look at UKcat as a significant part of the process? Have they got a cutoff for it?
Original post by spv
Would you apply to Kings with a 687.5? Or, would I even have a decent chance anywhere?

Depending on the average for the years cohort yes. I got in with 680 for both grad entry and undergrad entry. But last years average was v low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Advice would be appreciated :smile:

I sat my UKCAT yesterday, I've been hoping to apply to Barts and KCL as a graduate having got a 1st in a humanities subject. Both KCL and Barts said they wanted a good UKCAT score and for me to get BB in AS Chem and Bio this year.

Considering I got 665 yesterday :frown: do I stand a chance? I completely flopped decision analysis and got 550, usually I get 850!

I'm predicted AA for the two AS they want me to take, have done lots of work experience, my reference is pretty good, got band 1 in situation judgment, and as mentioned above have a 1st class honours degree and am doing an MA this year. Would any of that compensate for the bad UKCAT score?

If it's not realistic for me to look at Barts and KCL, what would be my next best realistic option considering I want to stay in or as close to London as possible.
Original post by eshdentist
Your ukcat is absolutely fine for kings. If you don't mind the cost of living in London then apply. It's a great/if not the best school (although I'm bias as I'm a kcl student lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol thanks! Do you know if Newcastle or Dundee place a lot of emphasis on UKCAT scores by any chance?
Reply 588
How should I revise for the BMAT exam?
And is anyone here applying to Leeds for dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goldenshades
lol thanks! Do you know if Newcastle or Dundee place a lot of emphasis on UKCAT scores by any chance?

Afraid I don't know about those unis. I only applied to kcl and barts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goldenshades

Newcastle puts a lot of emphasis on it, don't know about Dundee :smile:
Reply 591
Which dentistry unis accept a level resits under mitigating circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ahhh ok I see! all the best getting in there 😊 I will do, thank you!
Original post by Dioooooon
I'm not entirely sure, haven't really looked into many other universities as Cardiff is my main university of interest :tongue: could always check the websites and call up the admissions offices? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by umarr
Which dentistry unis accept a level resits under mitigating circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well when I emailed around Manchester and Plymouth said they allow resits. All the other units I got in touch with said they would allow resits as long as you can provide sufficient evidence of mitigating circumstances.
Hey, I got 7A*s, 3As and a B at GCSE. I'm studying biology chemistry and maths at a2. I'm predicted A*AB and I'm not sure whether or not the grades will get me in. I've done 5 weeks work experience in different dental settings and got 655 and Band 2 on my UKCAT test. Any advice or guidance? And do you think I'll get in anywhere?😁 or anywhere not to apply to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 595
Original post by PikaNing
Is it okay applying to to Cardiff, Newcastle, Glasgow and Birmingham with these ukcat scores?

Verbal Reasoning - 540
Quantitative Reasoning - 740
Abstract Reasoning - 700
Decision Analysis - 640
Situational Judgement - Band 2

I feel I didn't do so well an am worried it'll affect my application..

From what I've heard from everyone else on here Newcastle place a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, would it be better to apply to Manchester, Liverpool or Cardiff with my stats (need to pick 2)
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAABB AS: AAAB
predicted A2: A*AA UKCAT: 637.5 band 2 work experience: 2 weeks GDP and 2 days ortho. Also have quite a lot of volunteering but not in a care home, grade 7 piano and grade 6 violin
Really stuck, internal deadline is tomorrow! Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 597
Original post by preetg97
Well when I emailed around Manchester and Plymouth said they allow resits. All the other units I got in touch with said they would allow resits as long as you can provide sufficient evidence of mitigating circumstances.

Are you a re applicant like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How essential are GCSE's grades for dentistry
(currently in year 11 )
Original post by umarr
Are you a re applicant like me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I'm a gap year student

Latest