The Student Room Group

Tolerance of equipment question

Just to check, if a balance can measure with a graduation of 0.1g is it's tolerance therefore 0.05grams?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes any reading have a tolerance of + or - 0.05g
Reply 2
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Just to check, if a balance can measure with a graduation of 0.1g is it's tolerance therefore 0.05grams?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes if the unit is to 1 decimal place then then their is an uncertainty margin of +/- 0.05 e.g. 0.05 would be shown as 0.1 and 0.149 would be shown as 0.1 therefore the actual value could lie anywhere within 0.05<x<0.15
Original post by Shadoo
Yes if the unit is to 1 decimal place then then their is an uncertainty margin of +/- 0.05 e.g. 0.05 would be shown as 0.1 and 0.149 would be shown as 0.1 therefore the actual value could lie anywhere within 0.05<x<0.15

Thank you for your quick response.
I should post this in the Physics forum but I never seem to get a reply so I was wondering if you could help me with this too:

i have a ruler that can measure +-0.5mm, i use this to take a measurement for the length of a piece of card, this gives me 194+-0.5mm, i then use this in a light gate to measure speed, what can the lightgate therefore measure to?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you for your quick response.
I should post this in the Physics forum but I never seem to get a reply so I was wondering if you could help me with this too:

i have a ruler that can measure +-0.5mm, i use this to take a measurement for the length of a piece of card, this gives me 194+-0.5mm, i then use this in a light gate to measure speed, what can the lightgate therefore measure to?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that the exact question?
Original post by Shadoo
Is that the exact question?

Yes, my teacher isn't very good at phrasing questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yes, my teacher isn't very good at phrasing questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well the lightgate would be measuring speed so the light gate can measure to (194 ± 0.50)mm/time which depends on how accurate it times it.
Original post by Shadoo
well the lightgate would be measuring speed so the light gate can measure to (194 ± 0.50)mm/time which depends on how accurate it times it.

Thank you, could you possibly reiterate the difference between Tolerance and Uncertainty?
Also, I used an old version of a light gate for my experiment, if it gave me a reading of 0.102s to travel 10cm, the accuracy would be 0.102+-0.0005 seconds, correct? Unfortunately we're on holiday, this is due in next tuesday and my teacher hasn't responded to my email asking if he knew the uncertainty/tolerance. Also, if a balance had a 'graduation' of 0.1g, this is the accuracy, correct?

Thank you for your help :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest