The Student Room Group

How much is it normal to drink as a student?

I'm low key worried I'm an alcoholic because I regularly drink on my own, see every social occasion as an opportunity to get ****ed and barely feel drunk even after a bottle and a half of wine.
Well tbh, it sounds pretty clear when you put it like that. This doesn't really relate to being a student, that pattern of drinking is a worry for anyone.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Well tbh, it sounds pretty clear when you put it like that. This doesn't really relate to being a student, that pattern of drinking is a worry for anyone.

what is a normal amount?
Original post by Anonymous
what is a normal amount?

Less?

That's not really the right question tbh, peoples habits and tolerances vary so there isn't a 'normal' amount and you haven't gave a total to compare it to anyway. But its the habits themselves that cause the concern like regularly drinking alone and as you say, only seeing social occasions as a a drink excuse. It's totally possible to have a drinking problem messing up your life but not be classed as an alcoholic.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm low key worried I'm an alcoholic because I regularly drink on my own, see every social occasion as an opportunity to get ****ed and barely feel drunk even after a bottle and a half of wine.

The NHS recommends to drink no more than 14 units per week - which is equivalent to about a bottle and a half of wine. As the previous poster has said, different people have different tolerances but if you think you are drinking too much, then take steps to cut down. There is some advice here:

https://www.nhs.uk/better-health/drink-less/
Reply 5
Depends on what you mean by the word "normal". The government recommendations are that adults should not regularly drink more than 14 units of alcohol per week (which is about 1.5 bottles of wine).

Quick Reply

Latest