The Student Room Group

How long will it take to lower my alcohol tolerance

When I was at uni last term I was having about 3-5 drinks a day but since I’ve been home, with it being Christmas, it’s been more like 8 a day and my tolerance has increased quite a bit. I now don’t even really feel it after 6 drinks and only have a slight buzz after 8.

Continuing that would obviously be quite unhealthy and really expensive so I’m planning to take a few weeks off to lower my tolerance then I can feel a buzz after a few drinks again. How long would be long enough? Would 2 weeks do it? Every time I try to go without drinking I usually don’t even manage a week and just give up after like 4 days.

(Also side note I’m kind of worried about experiencing some kind of withdrawal effects. When I Google it some sites say you have to drink heavily for years, others say a month is enough. So what’s the likelihood of me experiencing withdrawals?)
so you are worried aobut your alcohol intake ?

ask yourself the CAGE questions before you read any further

https://patient.info/doctor/cage-questionnaire

OP

Your term time drinking is borderline problematic especially if you are not having days off, because I doubt you are referring to one unit of alcohol in each drink when you say 3 -5 drinks a day .

That said i doubt your christmas drinking has put you at risk of acute withdrawl symptoms especially if you return to your previous term time drinking habits or even to a genuine 3 -5 units / day habit.

what's your AUDIT score ?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6357a7af8fa8f557d85b7c44/Alcohol-use-disorders-identification-test-AUDIT_for-print.pdf
The answer to your main question is that no one can say with any degree of certainty. Everyone reacts to alcohol differently. However, even though you haven't asked for it, you do need to be aware that there are red flags all over this situation. You recognise that 8 drinks a day is unhealthy, but you don't seem to have reflected on the issues of having 3-5 drinks a day, nor on the fact that you cannot physically abstain from alcohol for longer than four days. The 3-5 drink consumption is also unhealthy, particularly if those drinks are more than one unit, which I suspect they are. But if you can't go for more than four days without a drink, that suggests dependency.

It's for you to assess this situation and take the decisions that are best for you, but if I were you I'd be trying to cut alcohol out entirely for longer than two weeks for health reasons rather than tolerance reasons. As much as I don't go for fad diets or monthly behavioural changes, why not try for the whole month? Given that Dry January is a thing, you should be able to more readily find support from those around you and beyond, and it gives you a ready made excuse in your usual social groups. If you get through the month you can then reassess. Chances are you will feel a lot better if you do get through it, and may well consider more permanent changes.
I wonder if this is our heavy drinker from a previous thread?
Original post by Admit-One

there does seem to be a habit now of people posting the same questions as an anon poster, perhaps i nthe vain hope they will get someone to agree with their improbable ideas
Reply 5

Probably, I have posted about it before
Reply 6
Original post by Miss Pulford
there does seem to be a habit now of people posting the same questions as an anon poster, perhaps i nthe vain hope they will get someone to agree with their improbable ideas

I’ve posted about it once before
Reply 7
Original post by Crazy Jamie
The answer to your main question is that no one can say with any degree of certainty. Everyone reacts to alcohol differently. However, even though you haven't asked for it, you do need to be aware that there are red flags all over this situation. You recognise that 8 drinks a day is unhealthy, but you don't seem to have reflected on the issues of having 3-5 drinks a day, nor on the fact that you cannot physically abstain from alcohol for longer than four days. The 3-5 drink consumption is also unhealthy, particularly if those drinks are more than one unit, which I suspect they are. But if you can't go for more than four days without a drink, that suggests dependency.

It's for you to assess this situation and take the decisions that are best for you, but if I were you I'd be trying to cut alcohol out entirely for longer than two weeks for health reasons rather than tolerance reasons. As much as I don't go for fad diets or monthly behavioural changes, why not try for the whole month? Given that Dry January is a thing, you should be able to more readily find support from those around you and beyond, and it gives you a ready made excuse in your usual social groups. If you get through the month you can then reassess. Chances are you will feel a lot better if you do get through it, and may well consider more permanent changes.

When I try to drink less I usually just get bored of it and decide to have drink, I don’t have any physical symptoms from it but yeah I know that even 3-5 isn’t healthy. I’m planning to try and cut back to 1-2
Reply 8
Original post by Miss Pulford
so you are worried aobut your alcohol intake ?

ask yourself the CAGE questions before you read any further

https://patient.info/doctor/cage-questionnaire

OP

Your term time drinking is borderline problematic especially if you are not having days off, because I doubt you are referring to one unit of alcohol in each drink when you say 3 -5 drinks a day .

That said i doubt your christmas drinking has put you at risk of acute withdrawl symptoms especially if you return to your previous term time drinking habits or even to a genuine 3 -5 units / day habit.

what's your AUDIT score ?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6357a7af8fa8f557d85b7c44/Alcohol-use-disorders-identification-test-AUDIT_for-print.pdf

I did the audit quiz and it was 18
Original post by Anonymous #1
When I was at uni last term I was having about 3-5 drinks a day but since I’ve been home, with it being Christmas, it’s been more like 8 a day and my tolerance has increased quite a bit. I now don’t even really feel it after 6 drinks and only have a slight buzz after 8.

Continuing that would obviously be quite unhealthy and really expensive so I’m planning to take a few weeks off to lower my tolerance then I can feel a buzz after a few drinks again. How long would be long enough? Would 2 weeks do it? Every time I try to go without drinking I usually don’t even manage a week and just give up after like 4 days.

(Also side note I’m kind of worried about experiencing some kind of withdrawal effects. When I Google it some sites say you have to drink heavily for years, others say a month is enough. So what’s the likelihood of me experiencing withdrawals?)

Give it up for good lowered for good
Probably, I have posted about it before

Presumably this one?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7409589

If so, anyone replying here might want to have a read.
Reply 11
Presumably this one?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7409589

If so, anyone replying here might want to have a read.

Yep, that one…
Whilst I'm not saying this is 'healthy' for the OP - most people drink quite a lot at uni and it doesn't mean they have a problem.

What are you drinking and over what time frame?
Original post by Apachecow
Whilst I'm not saying this is 'healthy' for the OP - most people drink quite a lot at uni and it doesn't mean they have a problem.

Covered in the linked thread above.
Reply 14
Original post by Apachecow

I wouldn’t say I have a problem with it, but I am going to cut back for health reasons. When I’m at uni I have all 3-5 drinks in the evening, at home I’ve been having about 8 from like midday to midnight but that’s only because of Christmas
Reply 15

Just go for a significant amount of time without drinking. For the majority of students, a few weeks ought to have a significant effect. Drinking less may bring tolerance down very slowly, but it's not all that effective a period of abstinence works better.

How long do you have to not drink to lower your tolerance.....
Regardless of the reason and goal, 30 days of abstinence is the best way to start. Even if the goal is to cut down, abstinence can assist with lowering tolerance to ease moderation of use, and your body could use the break.
How much alcohol is in these drinks to start with?

Quick Reply

Latest