The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

HPAT-Ulster prep courses

I need the HPAT-Ulster for my course and was wondering if anyone new of good preparation courses for it? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sky98
I need the HPAT-Ulster for my course and was wondering if anyone new of good preparation courses for it? :smile:

There is one at Shaws Bridge one each month Nov, Dec and Jan. Come with me to it! I'm going to the January one because its closer to the HPAT date so it'll be fresh.
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by cdoyle
There is one at Shaws Bridge one each month Nov, Dec and Jan. Come with me to it! I'm going to the January one because its closer to the HPAT date so it'll be fresh.

I think I found that one. Is it in the ramada hotel? :smile: What day you going?
Reply 3
I'm also going to the Ramada course on Jan 17th. Hopefully I'll see you there! I haven't looked at any of the practice material yet so I'm kinda bricking it.
Reply 4
I've had a such busy semester at university as its my final year. Never got a chance to look at practice questions yet. will do so during the holidays and going to the practice day on the 17th as well.
Reply 5
Hi guys - just found this post. I'm going to the course this Saturday as well (17th Jan). I haven't looked at any practice material yet for the same reason; it's my final year at uni and have been busy with dissertation work - melt. Bricking it! I'm applying for SLT as well so have to do pretty well in the HPAT...eugh!
Reply 6
Original post by hanzolo
Hi guys - just found this post. I'm going to the course this Saturday as well (17th Jan). I haven't looked at any practice material yet for the same reason; it's my final year at uni and have been busy with dissertation work - melt. Bricking it! I'm applying for SLT as well so have to do pretty well in the HPAT...eugh!

I'm final year at uni as well. I haven't had a chance to look at the practice material yet. This computer wont open it as another previous PDF opens each time I try to open the second one. I'm going to the Sunday group as Saturday was booked out.
Reply 7
I've since gone to the HPAT prep course by career services in ramada plaza hotel, shawsbridge. It was brilliant, can't recommend it enough! The speaker goes through each section of the test and will give you extra work to do at home. He did say to us that you will have at least 20-25hrs of work to do in the folder he gives you. If you're doing the HPAT-Ulster this will make things a lot easier for you! Good Luck
Reply 8
Original post by sky98
I've since gone to the HPAT prep course by career services in ramada plaza hotel, shawsbridge. It was brilliant, can't recommend it enough! The speaker goes through each section of the test and will give you extra work to do at home. He did say to us that you will have at least 20-25hrs of work to do in the folder he gives you. If you're doing the HPAT-Ulster this will make things a lot easier for you! Good Luck

Awesome, I'm looking forward to being able to use something other than the stuff that's online for studying. I just looked at HPAT Ireland stuff which probably isn't relevant, so I'm waiting til I complete the course tomorrow before starting to study. Really glad to hear you enjoyed it and also that we're given material to use at home. Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by hanzolo
Awesome, I'm looking forward to being able to use something other than the stuff that's online for studying. I just looked at HPAT Ireland stuff which probably isn't relevant, so I'm waiting til I complete the course tomorrow before starting to study. Really glad to hear you enjoyed it and also that we're given material to use at home. Thanks!

Yeah the stuff online is supposed to be much easier than the actual exam. Glad I could help and best of luck with everything! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by sky98
Yeah the stuff online is supposed to be much easier than the actual exam. Glad I could help and best of luck with everything! :smile:

Thanks! Are you sitting the exam on the 31st then? I've really been struggling with the practice questions for Section 1 (I am definitely not a logical thinker), but by the sounds of things people find this to be the easier section compared to the other two sections? If that's the case then I'm screwed! I only got 20 questions right out of the 45 given in the homework book from the prep course :s-smilie: not looking so great for Speech and Language Therapy!
Reply 11
Original post by hanzolo
Thanks! Are you sitting the exam on the 31st then? I've really been struggling with the practice questions for Section 1 (I am definitely not a logical thinker), but by the sounds of things people find this to be the easier section compared to the other two sections? If that's the case then I'm screwed! I only got 20 questions right out of the 45 given in the homework book from the prep course :s-smilie: not looking so great for Speech and Language Therapy!

Yeah sadly I am. Really worried for it!. Don't worry about section 1. There's so much reading in it, the biggest problem everyone will have is timing. Technically you should only spend around one and a half minutes on each question in the 65min, which means no one will complete them all.

The course is marked in percentiles (I think) so you'll be marked against everyone else. So I'd say your college will see who got the best out of applying for that course. Lets just hope a load of stupid people applied to our courses and we'll get in no problem! :tongue:
Reply 12
I am doing the HPAT on the 31st also and only have the practice paper. For section 3 does anyone know if you are meant to use writing techniques or just simply write what you think?
Reply 13
Original post by katyeds
I am doing the HPAT on the 31st also and only have the practice paper. For section 3 does anyone know if you are meant to use writing techniques or just simply write what you think?

For section 3 there are 2 parts. Part 1 usually is a graph and part 2 is usually some kind of statement. Write as much as you can on both and spend a half an hour on each if you can. Include some kind of formal intro. and conclusion in both pieces. For part 1, the graph, talk about it analytically first, (state exactly what is in the graph/what it's describing) then talk about the inspirations it gives you. If there is more than one graph try to correlate them. Also, aim to talk about one graph per paragraph.

For part 2 just develop your own thoughts on the statement(s) and talk about a particular point in each paragraph. I think that's basically it. Hope that sort of answered your question :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by sky98
For section 3 there are 2 parts. Part 1 usually is a graph and part 2 is usually some kind of statement. Write as much as you can on both and spend a half an hour on each if you can. Include some kind of formal intro. and conclusion in both pieces. For part 1, the graph, talk about it analytically first, (state exactly what is in the graph/what it's describing) then talk about the inspirations it gives you. If there is more than one graph try to correlate them. Also, aim to talk about one graph per paragraph.

For part 2 just develop your own thoughts on the statement(s) and talk about a particular point in each paragraph. I think that's basically it. Hope that sort of answered your question :smile:

Yes that's great, thank you very much :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by katyeds
Yes that's great, thank you very much :smile:

You're welcome, Good luck on the day! :smile:
Hi can anyone help me with some of the questions that were given on the day of the prep course, fell sick on Saturday morning an really freaking out that I haven't got enough to help me pass :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by sky98
You're welcome, Good luck on the day! :smile:

You too!
Reply 18
Original post by Catherine11
Hi can anyone help me with some of the questions that were given on the day of the prep course, fell sick on Saturday morning an really freaking out that I haven't got enough to help me pass :frown:

Hey what do you need help with? :smile:
Original post by kkat
This is probably a stupid question but I didn't go to any of the preparation courses,so how how are we supposed to mark our answers for section 1 and 2, do we circle the answer, the letter, shade it in etc?Really panicking as its tomorrow and I don't have anyone to ask!!

I didn't go to any courses either but I think we shade them in, did you study for it much?

Quick Reply

Latest