The Student Room Group
Well, in which case it isn't impossible!

If you disagree with the question then argue that. Look at Lenin's policies and find examples, such as the NEP, and then look at Stalin's. For example the Cheka can be directly compared with the NKVD and later KGB. Argue your own case and your own opinion; the question is basically a statement of one person's opinion, and you are entitled to disagree if you so want.

That said, I personally agree more with the question than your point of view. There are a few caveats to the argument you intend to use, notably that Stalin imposed far greater control and totalitarianism upon the Soviet Union with the Party as his agents, as opposed to Lenin's more relaxed (in some areas) policies. In short, Stalin used the CPSU (Communist Party of the Soviet Union) to further Stalinism, which is not true communism. Lenin, too, used it to further Leninism which is, arguably, a lot closer to true communism.
Reply 2
A fundamental rule in history papers, you have to argue both sides whether they actually ask you to or not. It still annoys me that.. Annoyed me a lot more at GCSE though.
Reply 3
Mass slaughter of party cadres does count as distortion. Stalin really pushed Orthodoxy (Communist not Eastern!)

Latest

Trending

Trending