The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine and doing the IB

Hi! I'm in year 12 and have been doing the IB for a few weeks now. I was wondering if my subject choices are good for Medicine, especially considering I would like to apply to Oxbridge! These are my subjects:

HL: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Philosophy
SL: English, German

So far I am doing 4 highers because I am finding higher Maths very difficult! Therefore I am considering dropping HL Maths down to SL; my question is: would doing only HL Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy be enough for Medicine, or would I be at an advantage if I do HL Maths instead of Philosophy? Any advice would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Also, as there are no year 12 exams as such, what do unis base their offer on? Predicted grades, mocks, GCSEs etc? :smile:
Reply 1
Sounds like good subject choices!

I'm also doing 4 highers because of Maths, but all universities ask for is 2 higher sciences - usually chem and bio. I'm not sure about if they have a preference for other HLs. I'd look to see what would give you a higher predicted grade total - take into consideration that Math HL takes up a lot of time which could potentially be used to bring up other grades (especially if you think you could get an easier 7 in SL with much less work!)

As for what they base offers on, usually the first things they'll look at is the personal statement and UKCAT/ BMAT results. Predicted grades also play a role, but the percentage depends on the individual university.

For example, Oxford looks at BMAT and GCSE's when deciding who to shortlist for interview - predicted grades only really count after the interview (at least the way I've interpreted it).

Hope I helped at all and feel free to ask if this didn't help! =)
Reply 2
Original post by Nahs

I'm also doing 4 highers because of Maths, but all universities ask for is 2 higher sciences - usually chem and bio. I'm not sure about if they have a preference for other HLs. I'd look to see what would give you a higher predicted grade total - take into consideration that Math HL takes up a lot of time which could potentially be used to bring up other grades (especially if you think you could get an easier 7 in SL with much less work!)

As for what they base offers on, usually the first things they'll look at is the personal statement and UKCAT/ BMAT results. Predicted grades also play a role, but the percentage depends on the individual university.

For example, Oxford looks at BMAT and GCSE's when deciding who to shortlist for interview - predicted grades only really count after the interview (at least the way I've interpreted it).

Original post by Nahs

Thank you! What subjects are you doing? Yeah, I think I'm just a bit paranoid about when Oxbridge say 'and/or' to HL Maths so I assume that people with HL Maths will be at an advantage, but like you said, the personal statement and BMAT will probably be more influential :smile: Also, I was worrying a bit about the fact that I haven't done a lot of work experience and now that I'm doing the IB I won't have time to do much more! ahhhh
Reply 3
Original post by MSJKSP
Hi! I'm in year 12 and have been doing the IB for a few weeks now. I was wondering if my subject choices are good for Medicine, especially considering I would like to apply to Oxbridge! These are my subjects:

HL: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Philosophy
SL: English, German

So far I am doing 4 highers because I am finding higher Maths very difficult! Therefore I am considering dropping HL Maths down to SL; my question is: would doing only HL Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy be enough for Medicine, or would I be at an advantage if I do HL Maths instead of Philosophy? Any advice would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Also, as there are no year 12 exams as such, what do unis base their offer on? Predicted grades, mocks, GCSEs etc? :smile:

I don't understand why you chose 4 subjects HL because at my school to get the diploma which is where it will get you to a good university requires 3 at HL and 3 at SL.
I am currently doing math studies because I found out that maths isn't at all relevant to medicine and whatnot.
I suggest if you are amazing at maths to take maths HL but it will torment you at the end of the two years when your revising and can hinder your possible 7's and 6's in chem and bio to 3's and 4's.
Either ways. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Swtmess
I don't understand why you chose 4 subjects HL because at my school to get the diploma which is where it will get you to a good university requires 3 at HL and 3 at SL.
I am currently doing math studies because I found out that maths isn't at all relevant to medicine and whatnot.
I suggest if you are amazing at maths to take maths HL but it will torment you at the end of the two years when your revising and can hinder your possible 7's and 6's in chem and bio to 3's and 4's.
Either ways. Good luck!

I'm only doing 4 HL at the moment so I have a back up if I fail at HL Maths; I won't have to catch up on Philosophy if I drop Maths down to standard :smile: I would never take the exams in 4 HL, because if I find HL Maths manageable (which I probably won't) I would drop Philosophy down to standard. Its just its always been my 'dream' to go to Oxbridge and they say that '3 sciences at HL is recommended' so I feel like I would be more likely to get in if I do HL Maths :smile: I think I will probably keep HL Maths up for a bit, then if I can't cope I will drop it down. Thankyou!
Reply 5
What abot completely dropping Philosophy for Physics? Physics HL is not easy, but it is not as hard as Math HL either... Also, by doing this you will have the advantage of taking 3 experimental sciences, which is great for med school. The only problem is to get your school consent.
Reply 6
Original post by Summit
What abot completely dropping Philosophy for Physics? Physics HL is not easy, but it is not as hard as Math HL either... Also, by doing this you will have the advantage of taking 3 experimental sciences, which is great for med school. The only problem is to get your school consent.

Unfortunately in the IB you're not allowed to take 3 sciences, so I assume that when they mean 3 sciences they mean maths :frown: Thank you though!
Reply 7
Original post by MSJKSP
Unfortunately in the IB you're not allowed to take 3 sciences, so I assume that when they mean 3 sciences they mean maths :frown: Thank you though!

I almost feel offended, since I'm taking the IB! lol

Anyway, with the permission from IBO you are allowed to take 3 sciences. Last year a student from my school did that, since med schools in holland (the country where she wanted to study) require biology, chemistry and physics at HL.

I would say that if you are interested you should talk to your IB coordinator tomorrow or give IBO a call yourself.

I hope it helped!
Reply 8
Original post by MSJKSP
Thank you! What subjects are you doing? Yeah, I think I'm just a bit paranoid about when Oxbridge say 'and/or' to HL Maths so I assume that people with HL Maths will be at an advantage, but like you said, the personal statement and BMAT will probably be more influential :smile: Also, I was worrying a bit about the fact that I haven't done a lot of work experience and now that I'm doing the IB I won't have time to do much more! ahhhh

I haven't done too much - I got a 3 day placement in a stem cell section of the local hospital (Im really interested in oncology so even 3 days was great for me) and I've worked in a nursing home - its all about how you take what you have done and reflect upon it rather than how much you've done and what you've done. As for time - if you were to go to a nursing home, you can use it for your CAS hours! 2 birds 1 stone :wink: For example, our school went on a CAS trip to India, and even though this wasn't specifically medicine related, I was able to reflect on how the doctors in the areas we saw are faced with many other problems than people like me living in Norway. All Uni's I've looked at and applied to say that reflection is key! :biggrin:

Subject: HL chem HL bio HL math HL english lang and lit SL history and SL norwegian B :tongue: hahaha
Reply 9
Original post by Summit
I almost feel offended, since I'm taking the IB! lol

Anyway, with the permission from IBO you are allowed to take 3 sciences. Last year a student from my school did that, since med schools in holland (the country where she wanted to study) require biology, chemistry and physics at HL.

I would say that if you are interested you should talk to your IB coordinator tomorrow or give IBO a call yourself.

I hope it helped!

You have to be careful though - part of the IB is to be well rounded and not just develop "science people" "language people" and so on, and therefore say you have to take one subject from each of the 5 groups, and then your 6th choice can double up - aka allowing you to double up on a science and not triple up!

Universities know this, and therefore love IB students. If you do manage to take 3 sciences (chem bio and physics) you're kind of defeating a major component of the IB!
Hey friend, I want to do medicine as well. HL people have no advantage over SL. Everything will be cool as long as you do not drop to standard. They require HL biology and chemistry for sure. I go to a British school and we have started looking at the requirements needed, I have not seen a university requirement that prefers HL over SL for medicine. Last week we also have 12 Canadian universities coming over and they said that Hl is not required. It is just that maths studies is not encouraged and sometimes is not accepted. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending