The Student Room Group

Medicine or accounting and finance?

Hello guys! I’m currently on the fence between choosing a career path. I’ve just finished my A levels in chemistry, biology and physics. I’m not exactly 100% sure as to what prompted me to take on these subjects🫠 but I did only think of studying medicine at the time. So to be brief, I have offers from Manchester, Liverpool, John Moores and Buckingham for accounting and finance for a September 2023 start, I love business but it’s not something I would like to get into as an undergrad, accounting and finance is related but much more suited to my liking and a sure short way to break into investment banking, something I’m also very interested in. On the other hand, medicine is something I’ve had my eyes set on for the past 7 years now, I love biology but I was unable to secure an offer in the UK ;(, I would have to study it in either Pakistan or Turkey, I’m not sure how the prospects would transfer to the UK, since my goal would be to pursue my career either in Liverpool, London or maybe somewhere in the US. Does anyone have any advice? Anyone that can provide info on the career prospects for accounting and finance? Thank you!
My first question is how well do you know investment banking?

If you are referring to IBD then it is very competitive. To be brutally honest and blunt with you, you're gonna have a hard time getting an intership/spring week if you do not go to a target uni (or at least semi target). Manchester is probably the best uni on the list but even that is below semi target.

If you really want IBD/ Sales and Trading/ Asset management/ other trading my advice would be to take gap year and apply to target unis.

For context: I go to a semi-target. The chair of our investment banking club (who was an insanely good candidate by all accounts other than his uni) had to make over 60 applications to secure an internship at a less prestigious bank.

Feel free to PM me and ask further questions about finance career paths or just ask them here.
Reply 2
Original post by The yung bean
My first question is how well do you know investment
banking? If you are referring to IBD then it is very competitive. To be brutally honest and blunt with you, you're gonna have a hard time getting an intership/spring week if you do not go to a target uni (or at least semi target). Manchester is probably the best uni on the list but even that is below semi target.

If you really want IBD/ Sales and Trading/ Asset management/ other trading my advice would be to take gap year and apply to target unis.

For context: I go to a semi-target. The chair of our investment banking club (who was an insanely good candidate by all accounts other than his uni) had to make over 60 applications to secure an internship at a less prestigious bank.

Feel free to PM me and ask further questions about finance career paths or just ask them here.

Taking a gap year isn’t really an option, parents aren’t for it at all, and I have to listen to them since they’re paying ;(. But eventually I would be more interested in getting an MBA from a more prestigious uni, preferably an IVY. I do plan on taking internships, the earlier ones will be at firms we have contacts in. Is it really impossible to get an internship if I’m not in a high target uni?
Edit: sorry, forgot to answer the first part, my parents are both Business majors and so I have had early experience watching them handle accounts and whatnot. Some of my cousins have majored in the same field and one of them is currently in IB, hours are long but I do like the strategy and networking. As an alternative medicine would also entail pretty long hours!
(edited 10 months ago)
1: You have to really be sure a masters is for you if you go ssomewhere super presitigious cos tuition is crazy expensive

2: It's amazing that you already have contacts and a network. That should make it a lot easier, but still hard (it's very hard to get one for even oxbridge students)

3: If you're gonna do medicine YOU HAVE TO DO IT BECAUSE YOU LIKE THE JOB. You can earn way more in other professions with lower hours

4: I know I haven't heard the whole story but I'm not sure why you want IB. Plenty of jobs out there with below 100 hours and including strategy and networking. Number 1 tip is learn as much as you can about IB before you make your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending