The Student Room Group

Uni prefers 2 desirable subjects, Only taking 1 at A levels

Hi, I am a Year 12 student studying Psychology, Eng Lit, Fine Art and History A levels. I wish to take a degree at university for Psychology (and possibly modules of sociology, and other subjects alike)

My ideal universities are Cambridge and UCL.
Cambridge has no essential subject requirements but their 'Highly desirable' are Biology and Maths. Useful An A Level/IB Higher Level humanities/social science subject
UCL require at least one, preferably 2, of these subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Psychology

I can only offer 1 of the preferred subjects for both universities and I reckon they would go for applicants who can offer 2, especially if our applications are similar.

Do you have any recommendations for how I can boost my desirability whilst only having 1 preferred subjects? Work experiences, skills, extra curricular activities, etc?
If UCL require 2 of the subjects, it doesn't matter how much work experience you do - you don't meet the requirements for the course. As for Cambridge, you have to bear in mind that Cambridge's course is pretty science-orientated. Not trying to scare you off, just bear in mind that your subjects are arts and therefore you appear more orientated towards a BA in Psych than a BSc.

For UCL, I'd recommend emailing them or calling the admissions office, see what they'd want you to do; they might say they want you to do a science at AS. As for Cambridge, it would mainly be based on your AS UMS and reading around the subject.
Reply 2
Original post by paradoxicalme
If UCL require 2 of the subjects, it doesn't matter how much work experience you do - you don't meet the requirements for the course. As for Cambridge, you have to bear in mind that Cambridge's course is pretty science-orientated. Not trying to scare you off, just bear in mind that your subjects are arts and therefore you appear more orientated towards a BA in Psych than a BSc.

For UCL, I'd recommend emailing them or calling the admissions office, see what they'd want you to do; they might say they want you to do a science at AS. As for Cambridge, it would mainly be based on your AS UMS and reading around the subject.

Thank you for your reply!

Can you outline to me the differences in a BA Psych and a Bsc? Are the course contents vastly different?

I intended to drop Art for Biology, but my Sixth Form says its too late now that we're 9 weeks into A levels - plus it clashes in my timetable with History and Psychology. I will follow your advice to contact them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending