The Student Room Group

How realistic are my choices (so far)?

im about half way through my personal statement, meaning i will be applying quite soon so this might be a little late hahaha but it would be nice to have a new opinion on my choices

alright so my current predicted are A*AAB, A* in a modern language, A in economics and IT, and a B in math (the math grade is subject to possible change but to be safe/my lack of confidence in my ability to actually get an A lol i will assume it won't be moved up to an A)

I did two weeks of work experience with a contracting company's legal department, and i am about to sit the LNAT soon which i am feeling quite confident about.

anyways, as of right now i will be applying to

bristol, manchester, liverpool, aston, northumbria

do i have too many near/around my predicted grades, or do i have too many below them, or are there any issues with my subjects etc. any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
forgot to mention i want to do law lol
Original post by abcefegh
im about half way through my personal statement, meaning i will be applying quite soon so this might be a little late hahaha but it would be nice to have a new opinion on my choices

alright so my current predicted are A*AAB, A* in a modern language, A in economics and IT, and a B in math (the math grade is subject to possible change but to be safe/my lack of confidence in my ability to actually get an A lol i will assume it won't be moved up to an A)

I did two weeks of work experience with a contracting company's legal department, and i am about to sit the LNAT soon which i am feeling quite confident about.

do i have too many near/around my predicted grades, or do i have too many below them, or are there any issues with my subjects etc. any help would be appreciated!

forgot to mention i want to do law lol

Firstly dont take 4 A levels. This can lead to your time being spread too widely resulting in poorer grades. If you are struggling to get an A in Maths dont take it. Drop it before you apply otherwise you will have to obtain each universities written agreement to do so.

As far as subjects are concerned you have 2 good subjects in Economics and modern foreign language and these are on most universities preferred subjects. Check your universities accept IT but most will as a 3rd subject.

Do you need both of your last 2 universities. I believe you could replace 1 with a higher graded university. You should have a good chance of acceptance in all your choices provided your LNAT is high enough for Bristol.
I have just checked and Lancaster and Leicester are accepting AAB which is 2 grades below your predictions and should be good insurance choices and they might well accept a dropped grade. Universities asking lower are likely to be in clearing anyway.
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly dont take 4 A levels. This can lead to your time being spread too widely resulting in poorer grades. If you are struggling to get an A in Maths dont take it. Drop it before you apply otherwise you will have to obtain each universities written agreement to do so.

As far as subjects are concerned you have 2 good subjects in Economics and modern foreign language and these are on most universities preferred subjects. Check your universities accept IT but most will as a 3rd subject.

Do you need both of your last 2 universities. I believe you could replace 1 with a higher graded university. You should have a good chance of acceptance in all your choices provided your LNAT is high enough for Bristol.
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi there,

So University of Liverpool entry requirements are AAA, so if you meet your predicted you should be okay! Also the fact you ahve got work experience etc, which hopefully you will mention in your personal statement, will support your application.

Best of luck :smile: and let me know if you have any questions about the University of Liverpool!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

So University of Liverpool entry requirements are AAA, so if you meet your predicted you should be okay! Also the fact you ahve got work experience etc, which hopefully you will mention in your personal statement, will support your application.

Best of luck :smile: and let me know if you have any questions about the University of Liverpool!

yeah i have quite a few questions, so

does an A*AB equal out to AAA?
does the university of liverpool accept IT as an a level subject?
do you prefer any subjects for law and politics?
am i at a disadvantage because i dont take history or politics/any a-levels with transferrable skills to law?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1

I don't know tbh, even though im not the best at math i really do enjoy it, i enjoy the problem solving aspect of it/the teachers/environment at my sixth form, i could never see myself dropping it, then again, i dont trust myself to make any big decisions relating to my education after i chose my three lowest gsces for a level hahaha

i may consider it though thanks for the help
Hi there,

Hi there,

Your predicted grades look great. University requirements ask for three grades so they will take on your top three provided they don't require a specific subject.
Its good to apply to one or two universities which have boundaries below what you are predicted. That way you have a safety net should it not go to plan during exams.

Its great that you have some experience, definitely talk about this in your personal statement. Show what you learnt from it and how you have developed yourself, this will make you a desirable candidate.

Best of luck with it all!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Hiya, I hope you're doing well.
Congratulations on your predicted grades- that's amazing! The entry requirements for Law at Northumbria are 120 UCAS points. Please don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions about the course, Northumbria Law school or Northumbria in general :smile:

Beth.
Reply 9

Your choices are very realistic. Assuming your predictions are not overly optimistic, you are probably being too conservative by including both aston (BBB), and northumbria (120 points, so with 4 subjects you could get as low as say CCCC). Even BBB is 4 grades below your predictions, so don't think you need to go lower, or have more than one such very safe option.
Reply 10
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

also do you know if the law and politics course is more competitive than the law course? ive centered my personal statement around applying to law and politics and i am more interested in it so idk. thanks for responding/the help though it is very much appreciated
Reply 11
Original post by lalexm
Your choices are very realistic. Assuming your predictions are not overly optimistic, you are probably being too conservative by including both aston (BBB), and northumbria (120 points, so with 4 subjects you could get as low as say CCCC). Even BBB is 4 grades below your predictions, so don't think you need to go lower, or have more than one such very safe option.

hmm i'd say they are pretty realistic, they are what i got in my end of year mocks last year, apart from the language since you obviously cant get an A* at as level, i love languages and i have somewhat taught myself the language so i think i'll be alright for it.

as for the uni choices would it work better if they were in this kinda range

A*AA
A*AA
AAA
AAA
BBB

or would i need to swap out the AAA one for an ABB or a BBC etc.

im pretty confident i''ll get the grades i need tho tbh
Reply 12
Original post by Northumbria University UG Rep
Hiya, I hope you're doing well.
Congratulations on your predicted grades- that's amazing! The entry requirements for Law at Northumbria are 120 UCAS points. Please don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions about the course, Northumbria Law school or Northumbria in general :smile:

Beth.

thanks! ill let you know if anything comes to mind.
Reply 13
hmm i'd say they are pretty realistic, they are what i got in my end of year mocks last year, apart from the language since you obviously cant get an A* at as level, i love languages and i have somewhat taught myself the language so i think i'll be alright for it.

as for the uni choices would it work better if they were in this kinda range

A*AA
A*AA
AAA
AAA
BBB

or would i need to swap out the AAA one for an ABB or a BBC etc.

im pretty confident i''ll get the grades i need tho tbh

That range looks fine to me. If your A*AA prediction is realistic/achievable, I don't think you need any more safe options.

The answer to this question depends on the offer conditions:
If the offer is based on points: yes, this would equal out and would be acceptable
If the offer is based on grades: no, an AAA offer means you need to achieve at least A in three subjects. So A*AB would not meet an AAA offer.

You’ll be fine if you can hit your prediction but it’s something to bear in mind :smile:
also do you know if the law and politics course is more competitive than the law course? ive centered my personal statement around applying to law and politics and i am more interested in it so idk. thanks for responding/the help though it is very much appreciated

Hi there,

I don't believe either course is more competitive than the others, though this could change from year to year. I would advice you to apply to the course that you are interested in applying to and base your decision upon this :smile:

Best of luck!

yeah i have quite a few questions, so

does the university of liverpool accept IT as an a level subject?
do you prefer any subjects for law and politics?
am i at a disadvantage because i dont take history or politics/any a-levels with transferrable skills to law?

Hi there,

1) in terms of UCAS point this does equal out, but University of Liverpool assess their application/give out offers mainly upon grades not UCAS points, so in this case it is not 'equal'.

2) yes, they do.

3) there is no 'prefered' subject on the entry requirements for law and politics. I would imagine applicants typically will have at least 2 humanities subjects such as English, History etc., though this is always at the discretion of the admission tutors.

3) No I would not say you would be at a disadvantage, if you meet or exceed the entry requirements in your A-levels you shouldn't be at a disadvantage, though this is always at the discretion of the admission tutors.

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending