The Student Room Group

A Levels for Medicine

Hello,

I am in year 10, and need to start accumulating what a levels I want to take. I am interested in a career in medicine, so I will take Biology and Chemistry, which will fit most medical school requirements, including imperial, UCL and Oxford.

I know that the third a levels doesn't matter, as long as it as an a level and not a BTEC, but what if you take 4 subjects, 2 of which aren't science/maths. Will this decrease my chances?

I am wanting to take;

Biology
Chemistry
Geography
Politics (may change to Spanish, but the concept of my question stays the same!)

This is my desired a level combo, but will taking 2 non science/maths a levels disadvantage my application than if I only took 1 non science/maths (eg Biology, chemistry and geography)

Thank you!
Please can those who have got into medicine reply, and also those that know how to answer my question.

Thanks so much
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by 20aneely123
Hello,

I am in year 10, and need to start accumulating what a levels I want to take. I am interested in a career in medicine, so I will take Biology and Chemistry, which will fit most medical school requirements, including imperial, UCL and Oxford.

I know that the third a levels doesn't matter, as long as it as an a level and not a BTEC, but what if you take 4 subjects, 2 of which aren't science/maths. Will this decrease my chances?

I am wanting to take;

Biology
Chemistry
Geography
Politics (may change to Spanish, but the concept of my question stays the same!)

This is my desired a level combo, but will taking 2 non science/maths a levels disadvantage my application than if I only took 1 non science/maths (eg Biology, chemistry and geography)

Thank you!
Please can those who have got into medicine reply, and also those that know how to answer my question.

Thanks so much

Your subjects are fine for any medical school except Cambridge. Doing a fourth A-level won't get you "bonus points" at almost every medical school (there have been one or two which have in the past scored a fourth A-level although I'm not even sure which if any still do off the top of my head).

Which subject you take as the third (and fourth) is irrelevant (except as noted for Cambridge - where to achieve a competitive score in the interview realistically applicants almost always will have 3 STEM subjects at A-level and those with only 2 tend to be vastly less likely to score high enough to get an offer even if called to interview in the first place).

Quick Reply

Latest