The Student Room Group

Getting into Oxford or Cambridge, maybe an Ivy League?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nad_18
hi, I'm a bit confused in the sense that i thought you could get a law JD degree which is the same as an llb law degree in london. i also thought that once you have a law degree you can work in a law firm in other countries? please could you clarify this for me. thank you :smile::smile:

I'm not sure about how a JD would work in other countries, but I imagine there could be issues due to the law being very different in the US and here. I guess it depends on the law firm though. Getting a JD is definitely postgraduate, however, so you'd need to do an undergraduate degree first, unlike in the UK where you can do the LLB from 18.
Reply 41
Original post by Carnun
I can't help but agree! It's an amazing thing to mention, and would in no way hurt your chances from an 'eligibility' point of view... So long as you don't hold US citizenship, you're fine! :wink:

(I'm kinda jealous, ha!)

And no problem. Keep 'em coming. :biggrin:

Oh phew, thank you both of you guys! :smile: That was one of the things I was most worried about but im more confident to now talk about it a little more on the application, thanks for your help guys! :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by TheGeekGal
Oh phew, thank you both of you guys! :smile: That was one of the things I was most worried about but im more confident to now talk about it a little more on the application, thanks for your help guys! :smile:

Anytime. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by nad_18
thank you for the information Carnun! i have participated in activities outside of the classroom such as being part of the press team and a rapporteur for MUN. i have also attended law mentoring sessions at clifford chance and had work experience there. are theses the type of extra curricular activities that sutton trust are looking for? thank you :smile:

No problem!

Absolutely! All brilliant things to mention, really. Go for it. :wink:
Reply 44
Original post by nad_18
hi, I'm a bit confused in the sense that i thought you could get a law JD degree which is the same as an llb law degree in london. i also thought that once you have a law degree you can work in a law firm in other countries? please could you clarify this for me. thank you :smile::smile:

LLB (Legum Baccalaureus) is a bachelors (undergrad) degree; JD (Juris Doctor) is doctoral (postgrad) degree (although Canada confuses the issue, b/c you have to have some university to go into an LLB program). There is also an LLM (Legum Magister), which is usually a 1 year course in a specialization, but can also be used to teach holders of foreign degrees the laws of that country, as a part of the eligibility to practice law in that jurisdiciton (many US states do this).

In the UK system, a typical 3 year law course gets you an LLB- but even so you can't just start being a lawyer. First, you have to do a one year course called the Legal Practice Course (the practical bits). Then you can start working for a law firm- as a trainee. After 2 years of being a trainee you are a qualified solicitor. So, it's 6 years top to tail.

In the US system, most people do a 4 year undergraduate course- in any subject- then apply to graduate school for law (LSAT, grades, essay). They then do 3 years of law school and finish with a JD - 7 years total.

No matter where your degree is from, to practice law in the US you have to pass the bar. About half the US states require you to have a US law degree, but (obviously) about half don't (NY is one of the most popular bar exams for people with international degrees).

Different countries have different rules for practicing law with degrees from other countries. For example, in Australia even if you have fully qualified you may still have to do a Practical Legal Training (PLT) program (though at least one state lets you do it online).

Going from the US to the UK isn't easy either - you still have to do the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS), and if you arrive straight from law school you have to do the 2 years training scheme. On the other hand, if you get hired by a law firm, they can move you about.

btw, Columbia and University of London (KCL, UCL or LSE) have a dual degree program that qualifies you in both the US & the UK- it's 4 years total and you finish with an LLB & a JD.
So I'm thinking about applying for an American Uni to study, yet I will not be able to apply this year as I have not organised SAT etc etc. The question I am asking is do you think top US universities eg: Harvard, Yale, Stanford will take applicants who have already finished their A Levels????
If so, what do you reckon I do during that extra year while I wait - I would be an economics applicant
Reply 46
Original post by Economics96
So I'm thinking about applying for an American Uni to study, yet I will not be able to apply this year as I have not organised SAT etc etc. The question I am asking is do you think top US universities eg: Harvard, Yale, Stanford will take applicants who have already finished their A Levels????
If so, what do you reckon I do during that extra year while I wait - I would be an economics applicant

Absolutely. In fact, as far as I'm aware, some schools will even allow you to substitute completed A-Levels for SAT Subject Tests -- do your research on this point!

As to your second question: anything you feel either a) shows commitment to your academic interests (Economics, I assume Maths, etc.), or b) proves you to be a multi-faceted, well-rounded, 'has a life outside of the classroom' individual is great. As you probably know, US institutions put a fair bit of weight in the application process on the strength of a student's extra-curriculars, and as such you really do need to think about being able to provide them with both a quality and quantity of activities (drawn from your last three/four years) in this area. Jobs are great (not least for helping to cover the application costs, visa, etc.!), as are volunteering and leadership roles of any kind. Are you the first/only to have done something in your school? Nationally? (Don't worry if you're not!) Or... do you regularly attend lectures? Care for family members? Cycle? Whatever it is, it's just another way for admissions officers to meet you as best they can... and BIG emphasis on 'you'!

In short: whatever you like, so long as you're doing something!

(And just as a matter of pedantry -- though I suppose also for the sake of clearing things up! -- you would not be an Economics applicant. No-one is. On the whole*, students apply not for any particular course, but instead simply for the universities themselves. 'Declaring one's major' comes later -- there's a lot of flexibility!)

Hope this helps! :smile:
___
P.S. Have you considered looking into applying to the Sutton Trust? I'm honestly not sure where you stand from an eligibility point of view being in year 13, but it's really worth looking into! They're amazingly helpful.

*There may well be exceptions here, but I can't say I know of very many... Caitlin?
Original post by Carnun
Absolutely. In fact, as far as I'm aware, some schools will even allow you to substitute completed A-Levels for SAT Subject Tests -- do your research on this point!

As to your second question: anything you feel either a) shows commitment to your academic interests (Economics, I assume Maths, etc.), or b) proves you to be a multi-faceted, well-rounded, 'has a life outside of the classroom' individual is great. As you probably know, US institutions put a fair bit of weight in the application process on the strength of a student's extra-curriculars, and as such you really do need to think about being able to provide them with both a quality and quantity of activities (drawn from your last three/four years) in this area. Jobs are great (not least for helping to cover the application costs, visa, etc.!), as are volunteering and leadership roles of any kind. Are you the first/only to have done something in your school? Nationally? (Don't worry if you're not!) Or... do you regularly attend lectures? Care for family members? Cycle? Whatever it is, it's just another way for admissions officers to meet you as best they can... and BIG emphasis on 'you'!

(And just as a matter of pedantry -- though I suppose also for the sake of clearing things up! -- you would not be an Economics applicant. No-one is. On the whole*, students apply not for any particular course, but instead simply for the universities themselves. 'Declaring one's major' comes later -- there's a lot of flexibility!)

___
P.S. Have you considered looking into applying to the Sutton Trust? I'm honestly not sure where you stand from an eligibility point of view being in year 13, but it's really worth looking into! They're amazingly helpful.

*There may well be exceptions here, but I can't say I know of very many... Caitlin?

Thank you so much, it's greatly appreciated. Just out of curiosity, how have you become so well informed about US unis, is it just through the US Sutton Trust programme??? Unfortunately they only take yr12's for the programme but to be fair I did the English Sutton Trust programme one and got to stay at Cambridge :biggrin:. But I really like the look of the US unis.

Also seen as though I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this U.S uni stuff, do you know if they interview for Harvard,Princeton,Yale,Stanford etc???
Reply 48
Original post by Economics96
Thank you so much, it's greatly appreciated. Just out of curiosity, how have you become so well informed about US unis, is it just through the US Sutton Trust programme??? Unfortunately they only take yr12's for the programme but to be fair I did the English Sutton Trust programme one and got to stay at Cambridge :biggrin:. But I really like the look of the US unis.

Also seen as though I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this U.S uni stuff, do you know if they interview for Harvard,Princeton,Yale,Stanford etc???

No problem! I owe a lot to the ST, yep... can't really claim any credit of my own, ha. :P

Ah, real shame*... But Cambridge must have been amazing, no? :biggrin:

They certainly do, yeah... though don't think they're anything like 'interviews' here! For one, the vast majority are given by alumni, not admissions staff (a big plus as an international student actually, as it's far easier to organise something close to home or over Skype) and are generally a lot less formal/academic in nature. Many are in coffee shops, for example, and questions range from 'why Economics?'/'Why Yale?', say, to 'if you could wave a magic wand and change one thing about the world, what would it be and why?'. Again, it's a way for the university to meet you. To see if you're a 'right fit' for the school not just academically, but personally. (The way it has been repeatedly and helpfully put to me is that "with these guys, grades are just a foot in the door... And from that point onwards, it's all about everything else!")

... Generally speaking, of course. As with quite a lot in the US, every school is really very different! Once again: do your reading!

:smile:

If you have any other questions, feel free to send them my way! :smile:

___
*You know, you can still look to Fulbright, say, for guidance, online and otherwise, without actually being a student on the ST. Happy researching!
Original post by mathsguy1247
If you get A*s and As in your A Levels then there you have a great chance of getting into Cambridge or Oxford, going to an Ivy league university would be very expensive and Cambridge and Oxford are among the best universities in the world. Many would say the best.

Ivy Leagues aren't as expensive as many people think! They have amazing (and I mean AMAZING) financial aid packages that often make the U.S. a cheaper option than domestic study! I know lots of people at US colleges who say they're paying less than half of what their UK education would cost. Furthermore, most US universities are now moving away from loans and just giving grant money, so many people graduate with no debt! The misconception that the U.S. is a more expensive place to study is common, and the 'cost of attendance' pages of most colleges do look scary, but financial aid can make the whole thing easier and keeps the U.S. open as an option!
Original post by Carnun

___

Hey Carnun!

You're right. Except for engineering and business (this varies by school but GENERALLY you apply to the school of engineering or the school of business and declare this on your application) you apply to the college as a student, not a set major. As 70% of people change their majors they don't pay that much attention when they ask you what you want to major in on the application, it's just a curiosity thing I believe. I know in the UK system you're taught that you are an X student from a young age but the US sees you as more of a person who has a ton of areas to explore!
Original post by mathsguy1247
If you get A*s and As in your A Levels then there you have a great chance of getting into Cambridge or Oxford, going to an Ivy league university would be very expensive and Cambridge and Oxford are among the best universities in the world. Many would say the best.

not as expensive as you may think if you consider their financial packages.

Quick Reply

Latest