The Student Room Group

predicted grades

I just did my first exam for my end of years (further maths). I got maximum about a B. Ive always wanted to apply to Oxbridge/maybe even Ivy League. My question: would Oxbridge consider a predicted grade of B, assuming its alongside higher grades, As and A* hopefully?
Original post by puygi
I just did my first exam for my end of years (further maths). I got maximum about a B. Ive always wanted to apply to Oxbridge/maybe even Ivy League. My question: would Oxbridge consider a predicted grade of B, assuming its alongside higher grades, As and A* hopefully?

Very unlikely. What is the standard entry requirement for your target course at either Oxford or Cambridge? It's likely to be A*AA or A*A*A. Both universities will have more applicants with those predicted grades (and higher) than that can possibly accept. So they are very unlikely to make an offer to someone predicted A*AB (or similar).

Does your school base predicted grades solely on these end-of-year exams? Or are there other tests they draw on to create a full picture of your likely grades?
Well if you've previously had A/A*s previous to your end of year mock, then your teachers will likely take your word that you'll be achieving higher than a B, given you have a strong work ethic. There's a lot of things you haven't mentioned such as what other A-levels your doing and what you're planning to apply for at uni. For Oxbridge, they want the best of the best. Theres always time for improvement but you need to convince your teachers to give you a pretty good reference and prediction if youre aiming that high
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Very unlikely. What is the standard entry requirement for your target course at either Oxford or Cambridge? It's likely to be A*AA or A*A*A. Both universities will have more applicants with those predicted grades (and higher) than that can possibly accept. So they are very unlikely to make an offer to someone predicted A*AB (or similar).

Does your school base predicted grades solely on these end-of-year exams? Or are there other tests they draw on to create a full picture of your likely grades?

Hi, Im pretty sure my school bases them solely on the end of years. I got maximum around 70% but it seems like everyone else found the test difficult too.
Reply 4
Original post by Carrotsroom
Well if you've previously had A/A*s previous to your end of year mock, then your teachers will likely take your word that you'll be achieving higher than a B, given you have a strong work ethic. There's a lot of things you haven't mentioned such as what other A-levels your doing and what you're planning to apply for at uni. For Oxbridge, they want the best of the best. Theres always time for improvement but you need to convince your teachers to give you a pretty good reference and prediction if youre aiming that high

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention, Im taking Maths, Further Maths, Chem and Physics and hope to get into engineering (not decided which area) or medicine.
Original post by puygi
Hi, Im pretty sure my school bases them solely on the end of years. I got maximum around 70% but it seems like everyone else found the test difficult too.

I've seen grade boundaries where 55% or so can be an A, so I'd just wait and see what you get first
Reply 6
Original post by AnotherStudent!
I've seen grade boundaries where 55% or so can be an A, so I'd just wait and see what you get first

True, I'm just panicking because this test is a one off compared to all my previous test scores. My last mocks were AAAB with the B in chemistry (i understand a lot more of chemistry now though), and to barely achieve an A in Maths/further i had to get like 80%.
Original post by puygi
True, I'm just panicking because this test is a one off compared to all my previous test scores. My last mocks were AAAB with the B in chemistry (i understand a lot more of chemistry now though), and to barely achieve an A in Maths/further i had to get like 80%.

I wouldn't worry too much. I get it's stressful but if they see you're hard working and it's a one-off I highly doubt they'll mark you down on your predicted grade. Besides, a B in mocks often leads to an A predicted anyway, accounting for academic growth
Reply 8
Original post by AnotherStudent!
I wouldn't worry too much. I get it's stressful but if they see you're hard working and it's a one-off I highly doubt they'll mark you down on your predicted grade. Besides, a B in mocks often leads to an A predicted anyway, accounting for academic growth

Thanks, hopefully it will lead to an A. I was also considering dropping (if its worth it) to make my application more competitive, since three A/A*s probably look better than that plus a B. Idk though. Ill decide when I actually get my predicted grades back.
Original post by puygi
Hi, sorry I forgot to mention, Im taking Maths, Further Maths, Chem and Physics and hope to get into engineering (not decided which area) or medicine.

Yeah engineering is super competitive. Your maths will need to be really strong. Im sure if you work over the summer it can dramatically improve your grades. I've known people jump several grades up from Y12 to Y13
Reply 10
Original post by Carrotsroom
Yeah engineering is super competitive. Your maths will need to be really strong. Im sure if you work over the summer it can dramatically improve your grades. I've known people jump several grades up from Y12 to Y13

I mean its not so much about me being worried i wont perform well in the final exam, more about whether I have a chance with such predicted grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending