The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd say Spanish because it shows you are capable of doing well in an arts subject as well as the sciences, making you more well rounded. (I don't actually know anything about admission to medicine courses though, that's just my opinion) :smile:
Spanish for sure. That would give you a more rounded set of subjects too, just incase you change your mind about medicine. Besides, in such a multicutural country a language can only be a bonus. Good luck with whatever you decide though.
To be honest, which ever one you feel more confident in getting a higher grade in. No point continuing spanish if youre going to get a C, and the same applies for psychology. Generally you will do better in whichever one you enjoy more!
Whichever you'd do best in :smile:
Psychology is an awesome subject, considered as a science by some unis though not by some, but it's more essay based, so will teach you a range of skills. At the same time Spanish would also show that you're a well rounded person - it's always good to have a language in theres somewhere.
Either are good. Psychology is a science, and would bring a different kind of scientific knowledge to your training in medicine. It'd possibly prepare you for the course slightly more - I know psych isn't medicine but there are certain biological aspects that may be useful.

Spanish is also good. As others have said, it shows you're well rounded, and would be helpful if you ever needed to work abroad, translate.. etc etc.

Based on that I'd say continue with the one you think you'll do best in, and most importantly that you enjoy.
Original post by mike2niner4
Hey,

My current AS subjects are: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Spanish.

I plan on applying for medicine next year.

Do you think Psychology or Spanish would give me the best chance, assuming I enjoyed them both equally.

Would universities prefer Psychology because it's a bit more of a science subject and more related to medicine, or Spanish because it's not seen as a "soft subject"?

Thanks, Mike :smile:

Universities won't care which one you do.
Original post by Daydreamer18
Either are good. Psychology is a science, and would bring a different kind of scientific knowledge to your training in medicine. It'd possibly prepare you for the course slightly more - I know psych isn't medicine but there are certain biological aspects that may be useful.

Spanish is also good. As others have said, it shows you're well rounded, and would be helpful if you ever needed to work abroad, translate.. etc etc.

Based on that I'd say continue with the one you think you'll do best in, and most importantly that you enjoy.

I agree with your general point, about picking the one you can do best in and enjoy, but I have to point out; A levels (apart from a few aspects of bio and chem) are not designed to teach you pre-med. Not having psyche or sociology at A level made no impact on my ability to understand the psychology and sociology taught at medical school.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I agree with your general point, about picking the one you can do best in and enjoy, but I have to point out; A levels (apart from a few aspects of bio and chem) are not designed to teach you pre-med. Not having psyche or sociology at A level made no impact on my ability to understand the psychology and sociology taught at medical school.

I'm not saying that by doing psychology one would understand everything related at med school, but surely having the background knowledge from doing the subject previously would be somewhat useful. As I said, I don't think the OP should make a decision based on that, but it's still something to take in to consideration.
are there any specific A levels that I would need to do dentistry? I'm primarily aiming for medicine but I want to keep that option open. My current choice is-

Chemistry, Maths, Biology/Physics, Psychology/Computing.

How does that combination sound for Medicine or Dentistry. Would Biology or Physics be better? and would it be better to have a non-science subject as my fourth, such as Computing, or would Psychology be fine?

Also, how do you make threads anonymously?
I'd think biology would be more beneficial for the degree, plus lots of interviews are biology based. I was told (for vet med) that you need chemistry and then two of biology, physics or maths. I think it's similar :smile: But if you think you'd get a C in biol and an A in physics take physics :biggrin: Good luck.
Original post by Smelly Ellie
I'd think biology would be more beneficial for the degree, plus lots of interviews are biology based. I was told (for vet med) that you need chemistry and then two of biology, physics or maths. I think it's similar :smile: But if you think you'd get a C in biol and an A in physics take physics :biggrin: Good luck.

actually i'm slightly better at Biology, but i've heard Physics is more valuable for any uni course.

And what about Psychology as an AS? Would it be bad to have all science subjects?
Chem & Bio are the required A Levels for most Medicine courses, though it is possible to find some courses that will accept Bio to AS only. Certain Oxbridge colleges require 3 sciences. UCL prefers you to include one non-science.
Reply 1992
Look at this thread to figure out what subjects to do for medicine, and post in the dentistry forum to ask what you need for dentistry.

Study Chemistry and Biology. Your third and fourth AS subjects can be any academic subject.

You can't make threads anonymously outside of the H&R forum.
Reply 1993
Hi. I am new to the student room and this is my first post so please be nice :smile: I am currently taking gcse's and applying to colleges. I know you need at least bio, and chem at A in gcse and A level to study medicine. However I have been looking at a lot of uni's in london (ucl is out of the picture as I dont do a darn MFL!! :angry: ) and it seems that in general the want all a's at a level inc bio and chem (only one wanted a 3rd science) and most wanted one contrasting subject (i'm sure if I work hard enough i can get there) and at gcse they need a's or above in the sciences, and b or above in maths and english. (i.e. science needs 3 a's and maths/english need b's). I'm on track to an a* in core, and also an a* in additional science. I already have an a in maths, and a b in english language (early entrys) so the gcse part is sorted kind of....

Anyway, The courses I want to study for a level are bio, chem, sociology and psychology. Do you think if I got all a's in these I could get into medicine? As i've heard that psychology is considered an easy subject, but i'm not sure about sociology, and I am not sure if they are considered contrasting to the sciences. I am predicted all a's for gcse by the way....
Reply 1994
Original post by zayna1
Hi. I am new to the student room and this is my first post so please be nice :smile: I am currently taking gcse's and applying to colleges. I know you need at least bio, and chem at A in gcse and A level to study medicine. However I have been looking at a lot of uni's in london (ucl is out of the picture as I dont do a darn MFL!! :angry: ) and it seems that in general the want all a's at a level inc bio and chem (only one wanted a 3rd science) and most wanted one contrasting subject (i'm sure if I work hard enough i can get there) and at gcse they need a's or above in the sciences, and b or above in maths and english. (i.e. science needs 3 a's and maths/english need b's). I'm on track to an a* in core, and also an a* in additional science. I already have an a in maths, and a b in english language (early entrys) so the gcse part is sorted kind of....

Anyway, The courses I want to study for a level are bio, chem, sociology and psychology. Do you think if I got all a's in these I could get into medicine? As i've heard that psychology is considered an easy subject, but i'm not sure about sociology, and I am not sure if they are considered contrasting to the sciences. I am predicted all a's for gcse by the way....

Welcome to TSR. :smile:

As you say, chemistry and biology at A-Level would make life considerably easier for you. I am sure the only medical school in London that wants a contrasting subject is UCL, and you've discounted them. Not sure where you're getting that from. Nevertheless, any preference they do give to a contrasting subject isn't extremely significant.

Psychology at AS is incredibly easy, but as far as I know it's not blacklisted by any med school and is seen as academic. Not sure about sociology. The general advice I would give is that as long as you study chemistry and biology, in addition to two other academic subjects, you'd be fine. :smile:
I want to do medicine (maybe a oxbridge, fingers crossed, high aim but we should all try right?!)
I'm going to do chemistry, biology and maths a-levels.
Should I do physics or english lit?
And should i do further maths as an optional fifth?
Help!
Reply 1996
Original post by gcsejitters
I want to do medicine (maybe a oxbridge, fingers crossed, high aim but we should all try right?!)
Help!

Do whichever you feel you could get a higher grade in. You wont have any advantage with one over the other.

Nearly no medical schools see further maths as an additional A-Level because it has such an overlap with normal maths. Not worth the effort.
Original post by gcsejitters
Help!

If you really like both subjects equally, I'd maybe suggest Physics, as it's helpful for the cambridge course (I didn't do it lol).

But if you prefer English, go for that.

It won't make a difference in terms of admissions which one you do.
hey i;m thinking of taking Bio, Chem, Economics and Spanish do you think that will be ok? Or will i need physics and / or maths aswell?
Reply 1999
Original post by farris786
hey i;m thinking of taking Bio, Chem, Economics and Spanish do you think that will be ok? Or will i need physics and / or maths aswell?

That's fine. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending