The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MaDeenThenMaLife
Well just finished my GCSE's
2 A*s Arabic, Statistics
6 As Bio, Chem, BCS, Geography, Maths, RS
4Bs English lit & lang, french, physics

I know they arent GREAT but thats what I have to live with...
my A-level choices are
Bio, chem, maths and politics

everyones putting me off politics coz apparently its too much work and essay writing... Anyways I though I'd take it as a englishy subject... and not seem that I'm sticking to one type of subjects

Anyhows if I do drop politics what should I take instead?? (my GCSE results are a rough idea of what subjects I'd do :p:)

There's no reason you shouldn't do it tbh.

I did the same subjects (except history instead of politics), and as long you keep on top of it, having one essay subject isn't really a big deal.
Reply 1381
So my choices currently are:
Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Psychology and Geography.

Are these A-levels a good mixture for wanting to go on to study medicine?

I know Geography is a bit random, but I enjoy it so I want to carry it on for A level.
Jooodie

I know Geography is a bit random, but I enjoy it so I want to carry it on for A level.

They are fine, but try and broaden your horizons as, technically, they are all science subjects.
Reply 1383
chinedu40
They are fine, but try and broaden your horizons as, technically, they are all science subjects.

Thanks for the advice :smile:. I was thinking that and had planned to take History instead of Geography, but I didn't do so great in History at GCSE in the end...
Reply 1384
Dude, if you're going to do Physics then do maths!
Jooodie
Thanks for the advice :smile:. I was thinking that and had planned to take History instead of Geography, but I didn't do so great in History at GCSE in the end...

Don't listen to him (chinedu40); those five are fine.
Jooodie

Yes they all are good subjects.But why do you want to do five AS subjects?
Jooodie

yeah the sciences are obviously what you need. if you enjoy geography then do it, especially if you can get a good grade in it! why are you doing 5?
Ditch the psychology.
you dont need 5 AS levels, focus on getting good grades in 4 of them because most unis won't give a toss about the 5th unless if you do badly in one of the ones you're going to drop.
Ditch nothing. These are fine. Work hard, esp. in biology & chemistry..
Advice in this kind of thread is often lousy.

Follow jimbo139's and gildartz's.
gildartz
you dont need 5 AS levels, focus on getting good grades in 4 of them because most unis won't give a toss about the 5th unless if you do badly in one of the ones you're going to drop.

THIS!!!!!

Unis dont give a toss about doing 5 AS's, just 4

i dont understand why people do more subjects than required.

Do 4 subjects, and make sure you do well in them
Do maths definitely!
Dr Eadful
Do maths definitely!

Oh shut up.
Reply 1395
Switch psychology for maths and drop geog maybe?
Kinkerz
Advice in this kind of thread is often lousy.

Follow jimbo139's and gildartz's.

Their advice is contrasting so that'd be kind of difficult?
Reply 1397
I've had people mention doing maths to me before, but I really don't enjoy it enough to do it alone. So I thought Physics would be ok to do instead of maths?

And, with the doing 5 AS subjects topic. I'm having Psychology as my "5th subject" so if I struggled that'd be the one I dropped most probably.
Jooodie

They're fine, but when you drop a subject or two on the path to A2's, make sure you drop Geography (and or) Psychology.. if you can manage with Chemistry/Biology/Physics at a-level as i understand they're highly challenging.. goodluck :yep:
there perfectly fine......u sure you wanna take 5 though

also ignore other person keep geogers!!

Latest

Trending

Trending