The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm at a medical school that doesn't require A-level biology but I've not yet come across anyone who doesn't have it.
im applying for medicine, and i got an A in both. do you think medical universities prefer/might prefer maths to psychology?
Keep it obviously, it's almost a given that you have it....
Do it, don't limit yourself.
Reply 1584
z_2j96
The variety you have chosen is fine! Just focus on getting the grades required. Cambridge rely heavily on BMAT, UKCAT, UMS scores then obviously the P.S and interview. :smile:

Is work experience very important? Cos I haven't got a clue where to go to get some, or rather I know where to go to a hospital but don't know how to get in
Reply 1585
So I've recently started my AS levels with the options Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. After a lot of thought I've decided that it was a mistake taking Physics as I really don't enjoy it as much as I thought and I can see it becoming one of those subjects that I dread showing up for every week.

My question is will dropping Physics right now and only studying 3 AS levels hurt my chances at all when applying to Uni? Or do they only really care about what you decide to do at A2?

I don't want to hurt my chances of getting in already so any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1586
It depends on where your thinking of applying to, most places want at least 4 AS levels because from the grades u get they can guess whether ur upto getting the A2 grades. I myself did biology, chemistry, physics and history at AS level and continued all four onto A2. If your going to drop any, it should be physics, but u should talk to ur college/school about swapping it for another AS subject (english and history are greatly appreciated in medicine applications). Dont make any rask decisions!
Slackpr
So I've recently started my AS levels with the options Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. After a lot of thought I've decided that it was a mistake taking Physics as I really don't enjoy it as much as I thought and I can see it becoming one of those subjects that I dread showing up for every week.

My question is will dropping Physics right now and only studying 3 AS levels hurt my chances at all when applying to Uni? Or do they only really care about what you decide to do at A2?

I don't want to hurt my chances of getting in already so any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

i would suspect that most unis for medicine would prefer 4 ASs. You need to remember that when you apply to the universities next year one of the main pieces of concrete evidence they have of how clever you are and whether they want you to go to their uni are your ASs.
If you really dont like physics then, seeing as its still very early in term time, ask your head of sixth form if you could change subjects to something which you would prefer to do. You would only have to catch up one or two weeks of work and would probs be better than spending 2 years doing a subject you dont like. I had a couple of friends who did that and some who even changed their course entirely from A levels to the International Baccalaureate so hopefully you should be able to do that :smile:
Hope this helps you make your decision
cz100
Is work experience very important? Cos I haven't got a clue where to go to get some, or rather I know where to go to a hospital but don't know how to get in

Send a letter to your GP and see if he is willing to take you on for work experience to shadow him.
Tzarchasm
I wish you all the luck. However, just out of curiosity, did your teachers suggest you only take 3 AS?

Most of them suggested 3, some discouraged as we won't be having proper tutorial classes for the forth subject. Yet it's still depends on us, just that we had to learn the forth subject by ourselves. I have to reconsider it, thanks for the suggestions:smile:
ballie45
If your going to drop any, it should be physics, but u should talk to ur college/school about swapping it for another AS subject (english and history are greatly appreciated in medicine applications). Dont make any rask decisions!

Why not maths? :confused:

And having a contrasting subject (as I have said countless times) only makes any difference at UCL and Peninusal medical schools - they actually state a preference. It doesn't matter for anywhere else.
cz100

Of course it's very important.

Point is: as painfully limited as work experience is, how else are you supposed to have any idea that being a doctor is 1) what you think it is, and 2) what you want to do if you've never been exposed to any of it from an objective standpoint (i.e. not a patient)?
what i mean is, Kings look at previous academic achievements so would 5 AS level grades not be put into account against the UKCAT as well as GCSEs?
Well im going to do medicine and im doing 5 as levels ( one is critical thinking-hardly an as level) but if you think you can cope then go ahead. I do maths chem bio physics crit think by the way.
Just take 4 AS level, with 5 AS . . . you will stress yourself out and will get overloaded. Concentrate and work hard on your 4 AS levels :smile:

Good luck!:]
I did 5 at Year 12 too (Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Philosophy/Theology PreU) if you think you can cope then go for it (I've kinda got the Pre U to talk about ethics too) but it you're worried about not getting A's because of it, then I won't bother risking it.
I did maths, further maths, chemistry, biology, physics last yr...its manageable - thats for sure (got 5 a's all > 90). You just gotta keep on top of the work and not leave it right till the end - cuz then ull end up with B's.
I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Psychology, Media and English Lit + Lang.
I've been told that taking Biology would be essential, more-so than Chemistry. But, despite the fact that I like human biology, I can't stand plant and animal biology - which I've heard is in the course quite a lot - and my school doesn't offer human biology. How limited would my choice of universities be taking these AS levels, and would you recommend me taking AS biology next year?
Reply 1598
Schools are so stupid, Chemistry is more important than Biology. I would however highly recommend taking Biology to at least AS - it gives you so much more choice.
Mr Organ knows what he is talking about. Chem is much more important!

Though taking Biology AND Chem is much better. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending