The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Teesside University applicants for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lornajaneshaw
I've applied for the occupational therapy BSc and have an interview on Jan 28th :smile: I didn't have time to go to an open day as it's 2.5/3 hrs from me but I figured I'd have to go for an interview if they were to offer me a place anyway.
I've looked on the website and stuff but can anybody tell me about the accommodation?
I've heard life in Middlesbrough in general is good fun- people are quite snobby about it but every place has rough areas! And I think it's improved from its 'reputation'- apparently theyve done up a big street in the town centre with all your student shops, union, bars down it so that sounds fab. Can anybody else tell me more about it?
The main thing for me is it has a good reputation for health and social subjects so I think it sounds good and I look forward to seeing it!

It's 5 hours from me I had an interview 2 days ago, the area around the uni is quite run down but saying that, it's not like there were gangs hanging around everywhere! There's some decent shops in the town, m&s, some cafes, debenhams, so there's places to go. The accommodation is super cheap but I've only seen it on the website, not for real. The health sciences building is pretty amazing, it's lovely and has a nice feel to it, there's a cafe on the ground floor and plenty of study areas :smile:
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
I've looked on the website and stuff but can anybody tell me about the accommodation?
I've heard life in Middlesbrough in general is good fun- people are quite snobby about it but every place has rough areas! And I think it's improved from its 'reputation'- apparently theyve done up a big street in the town centre with all your student shops, union, bars down it so that sounds fab. Can anybody else tell me more about it?
The main thing for me is it has a good reputation for health and social subjects so I think it sounds good and I look forward to seeing it!

Middlesbrough really isn't as bad as people make out. It does have rough areas but the majority of it is fine, obviously as the Uni is in the centre of town it can get a little loud on Friday night when everyone is headed to the clubs etc. but if you have your windows closed it's fine.

As for accommodation it depends on what you're into... KES is more house-like, you get a kitchen/diner/lounge room for everyone to socialize in and larger bedrooms than other accom. but you share a bathroom. Woodlands are blocks of about 36 rooms, 2 flats on each floor with stairs up the middle. The rooms are smaller than KES but you get an en-suite :biggrin: plus share a kitchen with 5 others and there's a "common room" on the ground floor that has a couple of sofas in it.

I'm in Woodlands this year (foundation year, so I'll be year 1 with you guys in 2015) so if anyone wants some pics of it i'll take some when I get back after xmas.
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Middlesbrough really isn't as bad as people make out. It does have rough areas but the majority of it is fine, obviously as the Uni is in the centre of town it can get a little loud on Friday night when everyone is headed to the clubs etc. but if you have your windows closed it's fine.

As for accommodation it depends on what you're into... KES is more house-like, you get a kitchen/diner/lounge room for everyone to socialize in and larger bedrooms than other accom. but you share a bathroom. Woodlands are blocks of about 36 rooms, 2 flats on each floor with stairs up the middle. The rooms are smaller than KES but you get an en-suite :biggrin: plus share a kitchen with 5 others and there's a "common room" on the ground floor that has a couple of sofas in it.

I'm in Woodlands this year (foundation year, so I'll be year 1 with you guys in 2015) so if anyone wants some pics of it i'll take some when I get back after xmas.

Pictures would be great! What are you studying? And where did you move from when you came to Teesside?
Original post by Physflop
Pictures would be great! What are you studying? And where did you move from when you came to Teesside?

I'm studying Computer Animation and Visual Effects :smile: moved from just south of Leicester.
Reply 84
Does anybody have an interview for Occupational Therapy BSc (Hons) on the 14th Jan in the Centuria building? Or has anybody been to an interview at Teesside before? Never been here before to see it even, whats it like?
Original post by ohone
Does anybody have an interview for Occupational Therapy BSc (Hons) on the 14th Jan in the Centuria building? Or has anybody been to an interview at Teesside before? Never been here before to see it even, whats it like?

I've been for 2 physio interviews there (they are in the same building) and the building is beautiful very modern and warm, friendly there's a nice little cafe on the ground floor, I'm sure you'll like it, the physio ones were well organised too so no hanging around all day!
Reply 86

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have my interview on Wednesday for Performing for live and recorded media and I have no idea how to prepare for it :frown:
Reply 88
Oh :frown: i have a group discussion in mine and i have heard nothing about it 🙈 three five minute tasks and an individual development of a poster!
I've been invited for an interview for Biological Sciences.

Dont know if i even want to go tbh.
Original post by heavyhandscott
I've been invited for an interview for Biological Sciences.

Dont know if i even want to go tbh.

Why don't you want to go? And if you don't want to go why apply? (I don't mean that in a harsh way)
Original post by ohone

i was meant to have one then! but already accepted one at northampton for the same day so now mine is on the 28th. Let me know how it goes/what it's like though!
It's 5 hours from me I had an interview 2 days ago, the area around the uni is quite run down but saying that, it's not like there were gangs hanging around everywhere! There's some decent shops in the town, m&s, some cafes, debenhams, so there's places to go. The accommodation is super cheap but I've only seen it on the website, not for real. The health sciences building is pretty amazing, it's lovely and has a nice feel to it, there's a cafe on the ground floor and plenty of study areas :smile:

thanks for that, to be fair that sounds fab for me! and all students alike- we all need to be able to live for cheap paha. Despite the rep though i've heard from so many people it's fab for health sciences so that's all that matters to me :smile:
Why don't you want to go? And if you don't want to go why apply? (I don't mean that in a harsh way)

Cos its not too far away and that was my if everything goes t1ts up plan if i get no offers an the points hopefully i could get an offer there.

But ive heard things about teeside, its just not a nice place. Coming from newcastle many places are not nice compared to home
Original post by AlphaDog0127

yeah some pictures would be good whenever you have time:smile: But cheers for telling me that as I was worrying as I couldn't see any accommodation on the website saying anything about en suites which is a big thing for me so that's great news !
Reply 95
i was meant to have one then! but already accepted one at northampton for the same day so now mine is on the 28th. Let me know how it goes/what it's like though!

Yea i will! Did you hear anything about the group discussion or the poster?
I'm not applying to Teesside uni, but i do live in central middlesbrough (have all my life) so if anyone has any questions about the area, i'd be happy to answer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Factorisation
I'm not applying to Teesside uni, but i do live in central middlesbrough (have all my life) so if anyone has any questions about the area, i'd be happy to answer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it as bad as it looks? Haha. No but honestly what is it like with groups of troublesome teens etc?
Haha! I've never first hand had a bad experience with teenagers... I mean they do hang around town, but they generally keep themselves to themselves. There are obviously teen crimes, but thats no different to any town/city! It's really not as bad as the stigma it holds. Yes, you do regularly see drunken/drugged up people if you keep yourself to yourself it's fine. All of the really rough parts are a fair distance away from the centre and thats where it gets its bad name from. I actually love a good night out in boro! Never had any trouble with people. It may look rough, but if you did come, you'll soon find out it's not all that bad and surprisingly quite nice! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Factorisation
Haha! I've never first hand had a bad experience with teenagers... I mean they do hang around town, but they generally keep themselves to themselves. There are obviously teen crimes, but thats no different to any town/city! It's really not as bad as the stigma it holds. Yes, you do regularly see drunken/drugged up people if you keep yourself to yourself it's fine. All of the really rough parts are a fair distance away from the centre and thats where it gets its bad name from. I actually love a good night out in boro! Never had any trouble with people. It may look rough, but if you did come, you'll soon find out it's not all that bad and surprisingly quite nice! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I lived in Stoke for 3 years whilst I did my first degree so it can't be any worse than there 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending