The Student Room Group

Portfolios and some advice

I have now done and submitted my portfolios and can sit back, other than one university I applied for, none of my other choices do interviews, so it is now out of my hands.

One thing that I wanted to share with you is to allow PLENTY of time to do your portfolios, everything is just so time consuming :-

1. Taking good quality pictures of your work
2. Asking advice from your art teachers which selection of your work best shows your creativity in different medium
3. Getting letters from your school to certify that the work is yours
4. putting the portfolio in a suitable order and editing it all to look presentable and professional
5. adjusting your portfolio file size when submitting on-line
6. choosing/doing a suitable piece when asked to do a specific task

The three places that asked me for a portfolio and the one that just asked for a specific task allowed about 3 weeks, which just flew by, especially since weekends are probably the only time you can do very much.

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone.
Reply 1
Hahaa this looks really helpful I'll send it to my friends ( one only started doing hers last month :redface:) but one is really struggling so thank you on behalf of her! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AZ_97
I have now done and submitted my portfolios and can sit back, other than one university I applied for, none of my other choices do interviews, so it is now out of my hands.

One thing that I wanted to share with you is to allow PLENTY of time to do your portfolios, everything is just so time consuming :-

1. Taking good quality pictures of your work
2. Asking advice from your art teachers which selection of your work best shows your creativity in different medium
3. Getting letters from your school to certify that the work is yours
4. putting the portfolio in a suitable order and editing it all to look presentable and professional
5. adjusting your portfolio file size when submitting on-line
6. choosing/doing a suitable piece when asked to do a specific task

The three places that asked me for a portfolio and the one that just asked for a specific task allowed about 3 weeks, which just flew by, especially since weekends are probably the only time you can do very much.

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone.

Thank you for the advice! I've photographed all my work. How long did it take you to put the portfolio together the portfolio after all your work was photographed in terms of hours?
Reply 3
Original post by JaySP
Thank you for the advice! I've photographed all my work. How long did it take you to put the portfolio together the portfolio after all your work was photographed in terms of hours?

Hi, it depends if you are putting more than one image per page, and if you are making it double sided. All this adds more time. I suggest paying extra attention to the presentation, ie making sure the borders around the single or multiple images are square, evenly spaced etc.

I would allow say 5 hours at least. It's a shame to go this far and skimp on the final portfolio,

Good luck !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending