The Student Room Group

What A Levels would help me in creative marketing or interior design / architecture?

So I am not totally sure yet of what I want to do as a career however I think I want to go into something creative. For example marketing & advertisement and interior design & architecture. I understand that they're quite different but that's the general idea so far.

I know I want to take Maths A Level, but unsure about the other 2. I was thinking 2 from English, Psychology, Art & Design. So my first question is what A Levels do you think will help guide me in the creative field but also still keep doors open?

My second question is that I did NOT take GCSE Art and the sixth form that I want to go to wants GCSE Art or a portfolio and an interview. I know that if I'd taken GCSE I would've done well because I'm not bad at drawing (not amazing though). So anyway, is there any point in me trying to get a portfolio together, and how good would it need to be to be accepted? I also do an Art & Design subject (DT) which I'm predicted an 8 in do you think that may boost my chances in any way??

To summarize, 1) What A Levels do you suggest? 2) Is Art A Level worth trying for and if I don't do it will it close the doors to Interior Design & Architecture and Marketing?
Is DT an option for you for A level?

If not then you should be able to use some of your DT work for your portfolio along with some sketches and maybe one creative art piece.

Both psychology and art and design A levels will be more helpful for your chosen degrees/careers than maths.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Is DT an option for you for A level?

If not then you should be able to use some of your DT work for your portfolio along with some sketches and maybe one creative art piec e.

Both psychology and art and design A levels will be more helpful for your chosen degrees/careers than maths.

DT is unfortunately not an option there, but thank you for the advice on the portfolio. I'll definitely try and include any DT work because there is a lot of drawing. I might try talk to the Art teacher at school for some advice on how to make a good portfolio and go from there, but begin to build my skills over the summer.
At Lancaster University, the entry requirements for Architecture are AAB, while the entry requirements for Marketing are ABB. Neither have any specific A Levels specified. This means you can take any A Levels you want, and if you do one of those courses you won't need to know any of the A Level content. It also means that there is no disadvantage to an application to either course from not taking Art. Architecture has no GCSE requirements, while Marketing has a requirement of Grade 5 on the English Language GCSE. This means that there is no special advantage to an application to either course from the 8 in DT.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
At Lancaster University, the entry requirements for Architecture are AAB, while the entry requirements for Marketing are ABB. Neither have any specific A Levels specified. This means you can take any A Levels you want, and if you do one of those courses you won't need to know any of the A Level content. It also means that there is no disadvantage to an application to either course from not taking Art. Architecture has no GCSE requirements, while Marketing has a requirement of Grade 5 on the English Language GCSE. This means that there is no special advantage to an application to either course from the 8 in DT.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Architecture isn’t interior architecture. Many of the universities accredited by SIDB don’t offer RIBA/ARB architecture degrees.

and while Lancaster doesn’t recommend any specific A levels for its (new) architecture degree it does potentially require a portfolio of art and design work - so discouraging someone interested in creative and design based careers from studying a creative and design based A level subject isn’t very constructive advice.

The majority of architecture degrees require either a portfolio of work or a creative level 3 qualification (and for the most competitive courses both are required). So again telling a student there “no disadvantage to an application”…”from not taking art” is extremely poor advice. This isn’t a thread in the Lancaster forum from someone solely interested in meeting Lancaster's requirements.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest