The Student Room Group

A Level Politics choice?

Currently doing gcses and possible a level for me is politics alongside biology, psycology and maths.
anyone who is doing politics is it a good worthwhile choice etc?
debating over chemistry and politics - which would be better? looking to do an anthroplogy/social science type course possibly with genetics/biology as a back up. Thank you:smile:)
Reply 1
I did politics, loved it.
It is less well regarded, but useful as an essay subject.
As long as you end up with 2/3 'hard' subjects at A level you should be good, especially if you prefer it.
However if you do want to do a science degree - check uni requirements as chemistry may be needed/preferred
Original post by h_sw
Currently doing gcses and possible a level for me is politics alongside biology, psycology and maths.
anyone who is doing politics is it a good worthwhile choice etc?
debating over chemistry and politics - which would be better? looking to do an anthroplogy/social science type course possibly with genetics/biology as a back up. Thank you:smile:)

Chemistry would be better for Sciences but if you want to get into social science then no Chemistry isn't really required, however you might need Chemistry for genetics.

I do Politics and I think it's really interesting. I was originally thinking of dropping it but I've decided to stay because of interest. Even if you're not someone who's a big fan of politics such as myself, you'll soon find after doing A-Level you'll love everything about politics. :tongue: I can imagine the subject is even more enjoyable for those who are already interested in politics.
Reply 3
Original post by Inazuma
I did politics, loved it.
It is less well regarded, but useful as an essay subject.
As long as you end up with 2/3 'hard' subjects at A level you should be good, especially if you prefer it.
However if you do want to do a science degree - check uni requirements as chemistry may be needed/preferred

thank you, i am just really unsure haha in what courses i want to do etc, i think especially with biology and maths i dont want to get too stressed and thanks for the advice about how its really enjoyable :smile::smile:
Reply 4
Original post by yellowcopter
Chemistry would be better for Sciences but if you want to get into social science then no Chemistry isn't really required, however you might need Chemistry for genetics.

I do Politics and I think it's really interesting. I was originally thinking of dropping it but I've decided to stay because of interest. Even if you're not someone who's a big fan of politics such as myself, you'll soon find after doing A-Level you'll love everything about politics. :tongue: I can imagine the subject is even more enjoyable for those who are already interested in politics.

it sounds like you really love a level politics :smile::smile: thank you so much for the advice:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by h_sw
thank you, i am just really unsure haha in what courses i want to do etc, i think especially with biology and maths i dont want to get too stressed and thanks for the advice about how its really enjoyable :smile::smile:

Haha yes it's hard to choose! I chose wrong so :P
I'd just check the requirements in case you automatically exclude yourself from genetics etc. that way you'll know :smile:

Good luck :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Inazuma
Haha yes it's hard to choose! I chose wrong so :P
I'd just check the requirements in case you automatically exclude yourself from genetics etc. that way you'll know :smile:

Good luck :tongue:

thank you, i am just trying to look at options etc - all school is talking about is having a life plan haha
if you dont mind me asking what did you chose? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by h_sw
thank you, i am just trying to look at options etc - all school is talking about is having a life plan haha
if you dont mind me asking what did you chose? :smile:

Law! I did Politics, Math, Economics and Physics at A level too.

Wish I had chosen Economics with politics, and meant to change but didn't.
Good thing is many non-science careers have entry from a variety of degrees.

I still have no clue, toying with many ideas which is even harder. Don't worry - I know many successful people who had no idea for ages and changed careers many times too!
Reply 8
Original post by Inazuma
Law! I did Politics, Math, Economics and Physics at A level too.

Wish I had chosen Economics with politics, and meant to change but didn't.
Good thing is many non-science careers have entry from a variety of degrees.

I still have no clue, toying with many ideas which is even harder. Don't worry - I know many successful people who had no idea for ages and changed careers many times too!

That sounds so interesting! Hahaha and yeah thats reassuring ☺️
I did Psychology, English Lit, History and Politics at AS Level. I chose History and English because I enjoyed studying them all the way through GCSEs and they were my favourite subjects, but I chose Politics and Psychology on a whim (decided on GCSE results day when I had to make the choice) because they seemed interesting. I found I hated Psychology (found the content boring and the subject itself pointless) and so dropped it after AS but I absolutely loved Politics - I'm now applying to read Politics and International Relations at uni. I wish I had taken Economics over Psychology, but yeah, a lot of people at my school love Politics.

You don't need to have a life plan, just a clear knowledge of whether you're a more science-y or humanities person and where your interests lie. Good luck with it!

This is all just my experience though, it may be totally irrelevant to you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by perflous
I did Psychology, English Lit, History and Politics at AS Level. I chose History and English because I enjoyed studying them all the way through GCSEs and they were my favourite subjects, but I chose Politics and Psychology on a whim (decided on GCSE results day when I had to make the choice) because they seemed interesting. I found I hated Psychology (found the content boring and the subject itself pointless) and so dropped it after AS but I absolutely loved Politics - I'm now applying to read Politics and International Relations at uni. I wish I had taken Economics over Psychology, but yeah, a lot of people at my school love Politics.

You don't need to have a life plan, just a clear knowledge of whether you're a more science-y or humanities person and where your interests lie. Good luck with it!

This is all just my experience though, it may be totally irrelevant to you :smile:

thank you, i will probably just do the same and chose on results day :smile:
so surprised to hear you hated psychology - everyone at my school takes it, its like the most popular .
Original post by h_sw
thank you, i will probably just do the same and chose on results day :smile:
so surprised to hear you hated psychology - everyone at my school takes it, its like the most popular .

Funnily enough, likewise. Psychology is by far the most popular A-Level choice at my school (about 130 out of 210 students took it in my year) but a significant number (about 60%) drop it after AS. It may just be a reflection on my school though - if you like Psychology and know you'd enjoy studying it, take it. If you're unsure, I'd advise against it.

Quick Reply

Latest