The Student Room Group

Further maths, History or Philosophy?

I have chosen math, Econ and politics. and I have predicted math 8, history 7 and RE 9 and I've done lots of research on all and I'm still torn. any advice would help.(btw I'm currently in yr 10 and applying to top private schools)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Ok what are you planning to do at uni?
Honestly wouldn't do FM, I got a 9 and it's a struggle...
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Terena27
I have chosen math, Econ and politics. and I have predicted math 8, history 7 and RE 9 and I've done lots of research on all and I'm still torn. any advice would help.(btw I'm currently in yr 10 and applying to top private schools)

Are these A Level subjects?

Like @toothysmile said, it depends on what you want to do at uni. I would go further and say, that in turn will depend on what you want to do after uni.

Maths is a key subject for a number of degrees, so I wouldn't recommend dropping that. History is a required subject for history degrees. Everything else is not a required subject (except possibly for further maths if you intend to do a quantitative degree at a top end uni) i.e. you can go into those same subjects at degree level without doing them at A Level e.g. you can do economics without Economics A Level (still need maths and borderline further maths); politics without A Level politics; philosophy without A Level philosophy, etc.

History, politics, economics, and philosophy are essay based subjects, so they might be preferred (but not essential) for say very essay based subjects e.g. law, journalism, and some noncompetitive English degrees

Without knowing what you want to do for a career or degree, it's very difficult to advise.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Are these A Level subjects?

Like @toothysmile said, it depends on what you want to do at uni. I would go further and say, that in turn will depend on what you want to do after uni.

Maths is a key subject for a number of degrees, so I wouldn't recommend dropping that. History is a required subject for history degrees. Everything else is not a required subject (except possibly for further maths if you intend to do a quantitative degree at a top end uni) i.e. you can go into those same subjects at degree level without doing them at A Level e.g. you can do economics without Economics A Level (still need maths and borderline further maths); politics without A Level politics; philosophy without A Level philosophy, etc.

History, politics, economics, and philosophy are essay based subjects, so they might be preferred (but not essential) for say very essay based subjects e.g. law, journalism, and some noncompetitive English degrees

Without knowing what you want to do for a career or degree, it's very difficult to advise.

THX, I’m looking at either PPE, Econ or Politics and econ at LSE, does this help?
Reply 5
Original post by toothysmile
Ok what are you planning to do at uni?
Honestly wouldn't do FM, I got a 9 and it's a struggle...

Thx , I’m looking at either PPE, politics and econ or econ alone at LSE as well as hopefully doing investment banking afterwards, does this help?
Thx , I’m looking at either PPE, politics and econ or econ alone at LSE as well as hopefully doing investment banking afterwards, does this help?

FM may be a requirement depending on which course/uni so try find out which unis you want to apply to so bare that in mind
THX, I’m looking at either PPE, Econ or Politics and econ at LSE, does this help?

If you're set on economics, then maths would be key (don't drop this no matter what). It might be relevant for PPE, depending on the content of the degree (some top end unis will ask for maths).

Politics degrees would accept A Levels in any subject, so long you have a high enough grade.

If you're intent on getting into LSE for economics (or a similar subject), I would have further maths in your arsenal.
My pick would be Maths, Further Maths + third subject of your choice (4 subjects if you intend to finish further maths early and intend to apply to universities for PPE or politics where they want a "well rounded" applicant i.e. you want at least 3 different subjects). History, politics, and philosophy doesn't really affect your choice of degrees that much and they are considered different enough to make you a well rounded applicant.

If you intend to work in investment banking, I think it's more appropriate to say it's who you network with more than what degree you do. There are people who did degrees in classics, English Literature, and history who ended up in investment banking based on their network.
LSE is usually the targeted uni for investment banking and loads of graduates who went to LSE ended up in investment banking (the location helps as well).
I did History, Politics, and English Lit at A Level and found that they all worked really well together. History and Politics go hand-in-hand, and it made it so much easier that I had political knowledge when doing the history modules. And Economics also goes very well with both of these.
But really it depends on what you want to study and what you enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest