The Student Room Group

What are the English equivalent to Scottish universities?

In terms of academic reputation of the university as a whole.

In other words, which universities in England do you think hold similar status compared to the Scottish universities?

e.g. St Andrews, Heriot Watt, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Highlands and Islands.

Thanks
You can look at league tables online to see the highest ranking english universities if that's what you're after.
Original post by abbiemac
You can look at league tables online to see the highest ranking english universities if that's what you're after.

i always see people saying that league tables aren't an accurate depiction of what people think are the best universities so that's why i'm not relying on them but rather on the opinions of people on TSR :smile:
bump
Reply 4
The ones that people on TSR care about.
Reply 5
Outside of the UK the only Scottish Unis most people have heard of are Edinburgh and St Andrews. The English equivalent (arguably more well known/more prestigious) are Oxford and Cambridge.
Reply 6
Original post by Jemner01
Outside of the UK the only Scottish Unis most people have heard of are Edinburgh and St Andrews. The English equivalent (arguably more well known/more prestigious) are Oxford and Cambridge.

This.
If I had to say:

St Andrews - Durham
Edinburgh - UCL
Glasgow - KCL
Original post by Okorange
If I had to say:

St Andrews - Durham
Edinburgh - UCL
Glasgow - KCL

This is probably correct.
Original post by Okorange
If I had to say:

St Andrews - Durham
Edinburgh - UCL
Glasgow - KCL

I somewhat agree with the Edinburgh/UCL and Glasgow/KCL groupings, but in my view no university in England is close to St Andrews. Durham has similar entry standards and focuses on undergraduate education, but it also has roughly twice as many students, half the proportion of international students, and is over 400 years younger than St Andrews. I think the closest thing to St Andrews in England would be a cluster of ancient, highly international, less competitive Oxbridge colleges (near the sea).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending