The Student Room Group

Moving to scotland as a english college student

Hi there,
Id like some advice on what to do next with my education as I am baffled on what to do. I'm moving to Scotland in a few weeks, and I would like to continue my education as I plan on going to uni. I was studying a level 3 btec at a college in the north east and finished my first year (2 year course) in july 2023. I have no idea if Scottish educational facilities even offer anything similar. Just curious if I can even finish my education. Any pointers would be appreciated
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi! I’m a Scottish student in my final year of high school. How the Scottish system works is that we have 3 different exams taken over the course of high school, but only the latter two matter for university. National 5’s are learnt from S3-S4 (sat at the end of S4), Highers are learnt over the course of one year and sat at the end of S5, and Advanced Highers are the same but in S6, the final year of school (I’m currently studying my advanced highers! They’re kind of our equivalent to A-Levels. Most people take three - I’m doing English, Music and Mandarin). I hope that helped - let me know if you have any questions!
Reply 2
Original post by jessica099
Hi! I’m a Scottish student in my final year of high school. How the Scottish system works is that we have 3 different exams taken over the course of high school, but only the latter two matter for university. National 5’s are learnt from S3-S4 (sat at the end of S4), Highers are learnt over the course of one year and sat at the end of S5, and Advanced Highers are the same but in S6, the final year of school (I’m currently studying my advanced highers! They’re kind of our equivalent to A-Levels. Most people take three - I’m doing English, Music and Mandarin). I hope that helped - let me know if you have any questions!

So since I have left English high school some time ago now, what would my next steps be towards even doing anything similar to what I was at college? I'm having issues attempting to understand where I would be slotting myself in and even if I would be able to due to the fact I'm 19.
Original post by Jexiax
So since I have left English high school some time ago now, what would my next steps be towards even doing anything similar to what I was at college? I'm having issues attempting to understand where I would be slotting myself in and even if I would be able to due to the fact I'm 19.

Most 19 year olds I know are at uni, but there's probably somewhere you can continue studying your qualifications. I'm not entirely sure what a BTEC is, as it's not part of our national qualifications studied in school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending