The Student Room Group

3 Advanced Highers and YASS course?

Hi,

I’ve just started S6 and I was initially going to do AH physics, chemistry, and music. I know that my playing is good enough for music but I missed out Higher and found Nat 5 quite stressful (for pretty much no reason) so I asked to switch to a YASS 30 credit course, my guidance teacher said this was fine and I’m now signed up for the course. I get on really well with the music department and they still want me to do Advanced Higher. I’m not sure if this will just be too much especially now all course components are back in (project for physics and chem, composition and analysis for music).

(My attainment at higher has been 5As in English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Maths throughout the year, still waiting for final grades obviously)

If anyone has any ideas about this it would be really appreciated. At the minute I’m thinking of doing music until ~October and seeing how it’s going.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by astro_olive
Hi,

I’ve just started S6 and I was initially going to do AH physics, chemistry, and music. I know that my playing is good enough for music but I missed out Higher and found Nat 5 quite stressful (for pretty much no reason) so I asked to switch to a YASS 30 credit course, my guidance teacher said this was fine and I’m now signed up for the course. I get on really well with the music department and they still want me to do Advanced Higher. I’m not sure if this will just be too much especially now all course components are back in (project for physics and chem, composition and analysis for music).

(My attainment at higher has been 5As in English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Maths throughout the year, still waiting for final grades obviously)

If anyone has any ideas about this it would be really appreciated. At the minute I’m thinking of doing music until ~October and seeing how it’s going.

Thanks

With your grades I’m sure you’d manage it. However, it would be a very busy and stressful year for you. You could always give music a go then make the decision in October like you said which will give you an idea of the workload and how busy you are with your new classes
Reply 2
Original post by cammy5
With your grades I’m sure you’d manage it. However, it would be a very busy and stressful year for you. You could always give music a go then make the decision in October like you said which will give you an idea of the workload and how busy you are with your new classes

Thanks, I'm still going with music at the minute so I think I'll work out what I'm doing once the OU course has properly started. My flute teacher has said I could just do the performance unit for music so I might do that too. :smile:
Original post by astro_olive
Hi,

Thanks

Advanced higher maths is an easy advanced higher. depending what field you go into Maths will be very useful.
Reply 4
Hi, thanks for your reply. I had considered maths but my school seems to really struggle with advanced higher. This year the school also made the decision to reduce advanced higher courses to 4 45 min periods a week so I would have to teach myself a lot of it. My brother is doing electronics at uni at the moment without having sat advanced higher maths and seems to have managed fine with the maths modules. Most universities I've looked at also don't seem to have it as a requirement so I thought I might give it a miss this year in order to pay more attention to physics and chemistry (which I'm likely to have more success with anyway due to my schools track record of advanced higher maths. :smile:
Hi. I am a Scottish student currently just finished my S6 year. My results are as follows:
National 5s: AAAAAA in maths, physics, chemistry, english, business management and modern studies.
Highers: AAAAA in maths, physics, chemistry, english and business management.
Advanced Highers : Maths and physics (yet to recieve).
Currently I am looking to apply for mathematics courses at the University of Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews. The standard entry requirement for the Uni of Edinburgh for the MMath course which is 5 years long is 5 A's (achievement by end of S5 preferred). I have met this requirement as well as the required subjects.
I have also taken advanced higher maths in my s6 year which is a recommended subject. In my 6th year I also took a Leadership Course L6 - equivalent to another higher pass.

My question is will Edinburgh look at my advanced higher results when considering me for an unconditional offer as I think I underperformed ( probably B's or C's) .
Original post by eggbread78134
Hi. I am a Scottish student currently just finished my S6 year. My results are as follows:
National 5s: AAAAAA in maths, physics, chemistry, english, business management and modern studies.
Highers: AAAAA in maths, physics, chemistry, english and business management.
Advanced Highers : Maths and physics (yet to recieve).
Currently I am looking to apply for mathematics courses at the University of Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews. The standard entry requirement for the Uni of Edinburgh for the MMath course which is 5 years long is 5 A's (achievement by end of S5 preferred). I have met this requirement as well as the required subjects.
I have also taken advanced higher maths in my s6 year which is a recommended subject. In my 6th year I also took a Leadership Course L6 - equivalent to another higher pass.

My question is will Edinburgh look at my advanced higher results when considering me for an unconditional offer as I think I underperformed ( probably B's or C's) .

going for a gap year?
unless they say AHs for the entry requirements (they might say recommended subjects) they shouldnt matter if you have already met your entry req
remeber is your PS that gets you the place.
Yes Im taking a gap year because my fee status would be classed as international if I applied this year. The offer rate last year (2022) for scottish applicants for all mathematics courses was 66% which I think is quite good. I also wonder if the band of the A matters (like A1,A2)?
Original post by eggbread78134
Yes Im taking a gap year because my fee status would be classed as international if I applied this year. The offer rate last year (2022) for scottish applicants for all mathematics courses was 66% which I think is quite good. I also wonder if the band of the A matters (like A1,A2)?

No, bands dont matter IN scotland
Cool thanks for the advice. Hopefully I will get the unconditional. One of my friends got a unconditional for theoretical physics at edinburgh and his s5 results were AAAAB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending