The Student Room Group

How much is it for a Moped, training and fuel

I'm turning 16 tomorrow (yipee), and I'm looking in to buying a moped and get my training, mostly because travelling from my house is quite the trek! Nevertheless, how much would it cost for me to under-go the correct training. Obviously, you can't give me an exact price on a moped, but is there an average that I should be looking to pay? Also, how much is fuel for a moped on general, I don't have a job that has a constant flow of income so I don't want to end up paying hundreds on fuel.

Thanks!
Why don't you google it? Let's just say it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a car though! And much more fuel efficient.
Reply 2
It depends where you live. Check on Gumtree in your local area.
Reply 3
Fuel won't be much. My bike is a 125 (a moped is 50cc) and used about £7 to get to London from Nottingham, which is around 100 miles. Since a moped has a smaller engine it will use less fuel. It's impossible to say exactly because it does vary between bikes, and obviously with how far you travel, but fuel isn't the main expense you need to worry about.

Your CBT, which is the one day training course you need to do before you're allowed on the road, will cost around £100. You legally have to do a CBT so can't get out of this. If you already have a bike and gear it will be a bit cheaper. Some people don't pick up everything in a day so need to go back for a second try, and this will make it more expensive.

Go on Autotrader or somewhere and see how much mopeds cost. I have no idea. You don't want to buy a new one, as you'll be devastated when you throw it down the road. You can get them quite cheaply (I'd imagine £500 or so) but it may then be unreliable or need a lot of maintenance.

You need insurance. My bike insurance was £250ish with just my CBT (ie not a full bike licence), but I am a lot older and have had car experience. I'd guess yours would be about £600+, but that depends on the bike, where you live and loads of other factors.

You need bike kit. You can get a helmet for around £50, but it won't be as good as more expensive options. You also really need a jacket, boots, gloves and trousers. People do ride bikes in shorts and t shirts, but if you fall off you will get hurt. This is my knee when I came off, and was wearing kevlar jeans with knee protection.
Original post by Juno
Fuel won't be much. My bike is a 125 (a moped is 50cc) and used about £7 to get to London from Nottingham, which is around 100 miles. Since a moped has a smaller engine it will use less fuel. It's impossible to say exactly because it does vary between bikes, and obviously with how far you travel, but fuel isn't the main expense you need to worry about.

Your CBT, which is the one day training course you need to do before you're allowed on the road, will cost around £100. You legally have to do a CBT so can't get out of this. If you already have a bike and gear it will be a bit cheaper. Some people don't pick up everything in a day so need to go back for a second try, and this will make it more expensive.

Go on Autotrader or somewhere and see how much mopeds cost. I have no idea. You don't want to buy a new one, as you'll be devastated when you throw it down the road. You can get them quite cheaply (I'd imagine £500 or so) but it may then be unreliable or need a lot of maintenance.

You need insurance. My bike insurance was £250ish with just my CBT (ie not a full bike licence), but I am a lot older and have had car experience. I'd guess yours would be about £600+, but that depends on the bike, where you live and loads of other factors.

You need bike kit. You can get a helmet for around £50, but it won't be as good as more expensive options. You also really need a jacket, boots, gloves and trousers. People do ride bikes in shorts and t shirts, but if you fall off you will get hurt. This is my knee when I came off, and was wearing kevlar jeans with knee protection.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Was that insurance monthly!? I hope not, I don't have £600 a month.
Reply 5
Original post by ThatAnonCoder
Thanks for the detailed answer. Was that insurance monthly!? I hope not, I don't have £600 a month.

Nope, those were yearly figures.

Boristhethird says he thinks it would be around £400 a year.

You really need to go somewhere like the bike insurer and put your information in to get a quote. As you haven't got a bike yet it will just be an estimate, but it will be a lot more accurate than anything anyone here can come up with. I moved 5 minutes down the road and my insurance increased by £50 (a year), so where you live and how you store the bike will have a huge impact on costings.
Original post by Juno
Nope, those were yearly figures.

Boristhethird says he thinks it would be around £400 a year.

You really need to go somewhere like the bike insurer and put your information in to get a quote. As you haven't got a bike yet it will just be an estimate, but it will be a lot more accurate than anything anyone here can come up with. I moved 5 minutes down the road and my insurance increased by £50 (a year), so where you live and how you store the bike will have a huge impact on costings.

For 99c I can have your knee as a christmas card.
Reply 7
Original post by Runninground
For 99c I can have your knee as a christmas card.

I'm not sure why you'd want to though
Original post by Juno
I'm not sure why you'd want to though

Me too, but I'm sure someone on this forum would
Original post by ThatAnonCoder

I've paid between £140-300 for motorbike insurance over the years. It depends where you live though. In high risk areas with bike on the street it could cost £1k due to theft risk. Tbh at that point just get third party and save the £600 a year towards a new bike if yours gets stolen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending